The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 02-06-2018, 10:21 PM

Nice!

I thought about one of these but went with the 65PRRI. Its all good.
Old 02-07-2018, 12:29 AM

Ryan Adam's favourite amp!

I might be biased, but Fender make the best amps.
Old 02-07-2018, 07:56 AM
Charter Member

Very cool looks pristine congrats .

What is the weight do you think ?

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 02-07-2018, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
Thanks for your kind words, folks!
It's only two years old. They've come up with this "Vintage Modified" series that features the Silverface cosmetics.

Bob
Oh ok I misunderstood and thought you said you looked at a vintage mod one and then this guy offered you the real deal. Either way that one is probably better becasue now you don't have any vintage issues to deal with and heck it's already modded
Old 02-07-2018, 08:10 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Very cool looks pristine congrats .
Thanks!
Quote:
What is the weight do you think ?
The stock amp weighs in at 34 pounds. The replacement Warehouse G10C speaker adds 3.5 pounds for a total of 37.5 pounds.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 02-07-2018, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel and wood View Post
Ryan Adam's favourite amp!

I might be biased, but Fender make the best amps.
I've had my '72 Fender Twin for almost 30 years now. I've tried all kinds of other amps since then and always always go back to the Twin.
Old 02-07-2018, 09:27 AM

Nice. Those and the "PRRI" are both super products.

Are they hand wired or true old with natural relic and dusty 'n stinky innards? No. Are they about as nice sounding as you can get per $ spent? I think yes. These are totally in the product category I call "shut up and buy it".

I was sold in a hurry because I had a chance to hear or try the reissues next to vintage amps in a local shop and at Dave's.

Mine is the black face but having tried both I consider them similar in the sea of what's out there and really nice products.

My SoCo 16 with either version of this amp does the perfect go between clean and dirty depending on how hard you dig in all at a very manageable volume. My Telecaster doesn't drive it as much but the results are well, pure Fender-like tone.

I'm not a gigging musician but have loved the Princeton for how it works at home and you can take it to play with a drummer too.

Enjoy it in good health!
Old 02-07-2018, 11:19 AM

Bob, I'm looking at both the 65 and 68 PRRI's....mainly looking for a great clean tone for a strat, and I tend to like darker tones....any thoughts on which one would be best? Thanks!
Old 02-07-2018, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imwjl View Post
Nice. Those and the "PRRI" are both super products.

Are they hand wired or true old with natural relic and dusty 'n stinky innards? No. Are they about as nice sounding as you can get per $ spent? I think yes. These are totally in the product category I call "shut up and buy it".

I was sold in a hurry because I had a chance to hear or try the reissues next to vintage amps in a local shop and at Dave's.

Mine is the black face but having tried both I consider them similar in the sea of what's out there and really nice products.

My SoCo 16 with either version of this amp does the perfect go between clean and dirty depending on how hard you dig in all at a very manageable volume. My Telecaster doesn't drive it as much but the results are well, pure Fender-like tone.

I'm not a gigging musician but have loved the Princeton for how it works at home and you can take it to play with a drummer too.

Enjoy it in good health!
if these were hand wired, they would cost about the same as the newish hand wired deluxe head that fender sells for $2500. these go for about $900 new. pcb, but i believe the input jacks and tubes are separate from the board but not the pots.

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 02-07-2018, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCWaters View Post
Bob, I'm looking at both the 65 and 68 PRRI's....mainly looking for a great clean tone for a strat, and I tend to like darker tones....any thoughts on which one would be best? Thanks!
probably best to go to your big box store with your guitar and dial up the two amps. try each channel's two inputs and that way you will know.

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 02-07-2018, 12:21 PM

Quote:
The one you like best. I happen to think they are kind of similar products. I only own the one but have tried and heard both. Two great and similar amps.

Of course someplace there is probably an Internet debate that could let us think someone's life depends on choosing one or the other.

Old 02-07-2018, 01:29 PM
Guitar Gourmet

Quote:
You are lucky: I'm writing up the full review right now as we speak.

I've had it a few days and can speak more to the differences:
The '65 RI is brighter with more mid dip and less bass. It also has a "harder" response due to more negative feedback on the power tubes. Distortion occurs further up the volume dial than the '68 Custom but the '65 doesn't seem as loud as the '68.

The '68 Custom has a more balanced frequency response. It has the same high-end response as the '65 RI but there is more bass, the mid is notched less, and the mid-notch center point is moved up by 200hz. The result is a rounder sound with more girth. It also has reduced negative feedback on the power tubes which yields a more compressed response with greater sustain that is popular with blues-type players. The amp begins a very musical, gentle distortion somewhere around 4 on the dial with humbuckers. To my ears the tremolo on this version is more musical with a smoother slope and deeper available volume dip. Think "Crimson and Clover." The Vintage Modified Series that the '68 is part of really turns the classic "harder, brighter" evaluation of Silverface Fenders on its ear.

Listen to the rhythm part on "I Need You" by Lynyrd Skynyrd for a Princeton and Strat sound that reminds me of this amp. Ed King says he used a '62 Princeton (no reverb) and a '66 Strat to play this. I had this sound nailed last night with my G&L S-500.

One important point is that it takes only two resistors being switched out to go from the '65 EQ to the '68 EQ... that is all. They are built on the same printed circuit board so it isn't as if you are stranded if you buy one of the two and want to change. However I, for one, like the compressed response and vibrato of the '68 much better than those of the '65.

Does that help?

I'll put up the rest of the review when I can snap some pix to make it look purdy and have more time to make it less of a "look what I got today" review. If you are in a rush, PM me and maybe I can set up a temp version for you to read.

Bob

Old 02-07-2018, 02:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Of course someplace there is probably an Internet debate that could let us think someone's life depends on choosing one or the other.

This made me laugh. So true.
Old 02-07-2018, 02:33 PM
Guitar Gourmet

Quote:
The one you like best. I happen to think they are kind of similar products. I only own the one but have tried and heard both. Two great and similar amps.

That, of course, is the beauty of choice. The problem in western society is one of too many choices.

Bob

Old 02-07-2018, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
You are lucky: I'm writing up the full review right now as we speak.

I've had it a few days and can speak more to the differences:
The '65 RI is brighter with more mid dip and less bass. It also has a "harder" response due to more negative feedback on the power tubes. Distortion occurs further up the volume dial than the '68 Custom but the '65 doesn't seem as loud as the '68.

The '68 Custom has a more balanced frequency response. It has the same high-end response as the '65 RI but there is more bass, the mid is notched less, and the mid-notch center point is moved up by 200hz. The result is a rounder sound with more girth. It also has reduced negative feedback on the power tubes which yields a more compressed response with greater sustain that is popular with blues-type players. The amp begins a very musical, gentle distortion somewhere around 4 on the dial with humbuckers. To my ears the tremolo on this version is more musical with a smoother slope and deeper available volume dip. Think "Crimson and Clover." The Vintage Modified Series that the '68 is part of really turns the classic "harder, brighter" evaluation of Silverface Fenders on its ear.

Listen to the rhythm part on "I Need You" by Lynyrd Skynyrd for a Princeton and Strat sound that reminds me of this amp. Ed King says he used a '62 Princeton (no reverb) and a '66 Strat to play this. I had this sound nailed last night with my G&L S-500.

One important point is that it takes only two resistors being switched out to go from the '65 EQ to the '68 EQ... that is all. They are built on the same printed circuit board so it isn't as if you are stranded if you buy one of the two and want to change. However I, for one, like the compressed response and vibrato of the '68 much better than those of the '65.

Does that help?

I'll put up the rest of the review when I can snap some pix to make it look purdy and have more time to make it less of a "look what I got today" review. If you are in a rush, PM me and maybe I can set up a temp version for you to read.

Bob

That's perfect--thanks!! Looking forward to the full review....

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars