The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 11-08-2017, 08:58 AM

Default New Ibanez RG Prestige WOW

Just picked up this limited edition from The Axe Palace. I saw it on Reverb and will shamelessly admit that purple quilt top is why I bought it.

I have been around Ibanez guitars and basses for quite a long time. Some were good. Some were alright. Some were pretty modest. My opinion improved with the Prestige models.

The Axe Palace provided a setup. I'm fully capable of doing myself. Given the choice, I'd much rather play the guitar a bunch than spend time setting it up and changing things. Their setup was probably the best I have received on a guitar. This is probably my best playing guitar. I'll have to A/B it to my ancient Kramer Nightswan II and perhaps grab a ruler.

Very pleased with Ibanez and The Axe Palace.
Old 11-08-2017, 10:48 AM

That is a beautiful finish.

How is the neck?
Old 11-08-2017, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmulli View Post
That is a beautiful finish.

How is the neck?
Beefier than what I expected. From memory, seems that most of the 6 strings I played had a razor thin neck. I use classical technique with my fretting hand and not much bothers me besides v cuts. Action is amazing.
Old 11-08-2017, 11:39 AM
Charter Member

Beautiful !!!

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Old 11-08-2017, 12:20 PM

Nice maple!
Old 11-08-2017, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Beautiful !!!
Thanks. I was unable to resist the beauty of this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Song View Post
Nice maple!
Thanks. I paid a slight premium compared to more of a standard Prestige model. Worth it just looking at it.
Old 11-08-2017, 01:07 PM
Charter Member

I have been guilty of doing that! Beautiful guitar.-- Darwin
Old 11-08-2017, 02:27 PM

Wow beautiful! I gave my only 7 string to my son (Sterling JP70) and been itching to get me another one. Thanks for the GAS! [emoji23]
Old 11-08-2017, 05:57 PM

Congrats! Those Prestige models are great. Enjoy!
Old 11-08-2017, 08:26 PM

Thanks for all the compliments.

I finally had a few minutes to test the clean channel. The split coils sound super weak. I might see if my local setup guy can do something about that. I have several guitars with coil splitters and none sound this weak and nasal. Neck and bridge singles together sound half decent. The hum buckers aren't super high output, so they sound good enough clean that I'm far from upset.

Another observation is that this guitar doesn't have the "usual" 7 string guitar vibe.
Old 11-08-2017, 09:01 PM

Default New Ibanez RG Prestige WOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2y View Post
Thanks for all the compliments.

I finally had a few minutes to test the clean channel. The split coils sound super weak. I might see if my local setup guy can do something about that. I have several guitars with coil splitters and none sound this weak and nasal. Neck and bridge singles together sound half decent. The hum buckers aren't super high output, so they sound good enough clean that I'm far from upset.

Another observation is that this guitar doesn't have the "usual" 7 string guitar vibe.

Could be a wiring issue. I would expect that from a low end line RG, but not a prestige! What pickups are those?

*edit*

Quick lookup and those apparently come with DiMarzio PAF7 pickups which are quite low output at 7.25Kohms. I can imagine they must sound very weak when splitted.

Last edited by 1neeto; 11-08-2017 at 09:21 PM.
Old 11-09-2017, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1neeto View Post
Could be a wiring issue. I would expect that from a low end line RG, but not a prestige! What pickups are those?

*edit*

Quick lookup and those apparently come with DiMarzio PAF7 pickups which are quite low output at 7.25Kohms. I can imagine they must sound very weak when splitted.
I started putting that together before I went to bed. I'd often want coil splitters for clean channel work with higher output pickups. The PAF7s sound very nice clean. I'll see if my clean boost helps with that when I get home. I suppose I could see if my local shop can put parallel in the 2 and 4 positions.

I got spoiled long ago with an old Kramer Pacer Deluxe with a JB that split really well. I still haven't managed to find that on another guitar.
Old 11-09-2017, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2y View Post
I started putting that together before I went to bed. I'd often want coil splitters for clean channel work with higher output pickups. The PAF7s sound very nice clean. I'll see if my clean boost helps with that when I get home. I suppose I could see if my local shop can put parallel in the 2 and 4 positions.

I got spoiled long ago with an old Kramer Pacer Deluxe with a JB that split really well. I still haven't managed to find that on another guitar.

I’m not sure if parallel is the answer. I would think in series it would give it a nice boost?
Old 11-09-2017, 08:11 AM
Charter Member

My best friend has always loved and played Ibanez guitars, and he has a standard Prestige. Very nice guitar.

This is a beautiful axe. I love the maple as well. Congrats!
Old 11-09-2017, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1neeto View Post
I’m not sure if parallel is the answer. I would think in series it would give it a nice boost?

Maybe the neck is already in parallel in position 2. I think they're in series in the standard humbucking mode.

I guess I'll probably leave it alone. The humbuckers sound good enough through the clean channel.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars