The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 06-20-2017, 08:42 AM

Default [The Boxer] Timing Problem

Hi!

I am trying to learn The Boxer by Simon and Garfunkel accoriding to this Tabs.

I can play the first part until "All lies and jest ..." and I can play it very fast. So I guess I am save here but I just cannot find the right timing. I play it slow and fast but if I (or another) sings over it it just does not fit.

Any idea how I can handle this problem?
Old 06-20-2017, 08:50 AM

"All" comes in on the E, 3rd note of the bar.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 06-20-2017, 01:47 PM

Listen to it on Spotify or you tube. It is hard to get a feel for the timing from those tabs. As Mr. Beaumont says, "All" comes in on the " &" of the third beat of the measure ( 1&2&3&4&) , "lies and" is beat 4, and "jest" is the first beat of the next measure. There is a one beat pause after " promises" and before "All".
Old 06-20-2017, 05:37 PM

Practice. There's no magic beyond that, no tricks, and no inside secrets. Use your ears and spend the time to develop the song by listening to it. Most of the people who run into problems with learning songs is because they turn to their eyes (tabs) instead of their ears to develop their musical side. Tabs should be tossed into the trash can and the ears should be wholly engaged as the only method of connecting oneself with music.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write