The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 02-21-2015, 11:38 AM

Default Wondering if this Tak is fixable...

I really like old Japanese Takamine's with NEX bodies. I recently restored an EF391ME - then a EN-30c that was covered with Flamenco pick guards and stickers - I found this one in a local ship for a few hundred dollars. It's a 1989 FP-592G (G for the 'Granite' finish - which is weird)...it's got some serious warp in the top - to the point where when the sound hole is viewed sideways it almost makes you seasick (a brace has popped off underneath and is just hanging there) - surprisingly it plays quite well and has great action and tone. The electronics work fine.

People on the Takamine forum have said someone should pay ME to take this guitar off their hands...and to stay away...it appears what used to be a arched top has totally popped inwards.

I was wondering if the folks here thought it would be possible to repair the top with humidification, support and clamps? If so I'd gladly play a couple of hundred for this and get started.

Here' a link to some photo's - take a look at the Top in particular.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/203615...7650523906160/

If it means taking the top off - I afraid I don't don't quite have the skill set for that.

Last edited by seratone; 02-21-2015 at 11:43 AM.
Old 02-21-2015, 12:25 PM

Anything is fixable but if that guitar were brought to my shop I'd likely recommend not spending the money to fix it. It is usually impossible to give an absolute diagnosis just by photos but it looks to me like the top should be removed to make a full and proper repair.

Ned Milburn
NSDCC Master Artisan
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Old 02-22-2015, 10:18 AM

Default Wondering if this Tak is fixable...

I don't know if yours is fixable, but I have a similar situation with an old Kent semi-hollow 3 pick up guitar from the early 60s, maybe even 50s. When it warms up a bit, (it's been brutal cold here not as bad as you have it there), I intend to take the electronics and bridge off and clamp it with a board on top and bottom and apply humidity, tighten little at a time, should work but don't know for sure.
Good luck whatever you decide.
Old 02-23-2015, 07:30 AM

That poor guitar has some SERIOUS structural issues!

While you may be able to finagle something to flatten it out a bit, nothing short of a "rebuild" would make it stable. Something warped that badly will have broken or detached braces.

-r

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair