The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 03-15-2013, 09:59 PM

Default Finish checkmate?

About a year and a half ago I bought a guitar with pronounced lacquer checking. A couple of months ago I noticed what I thought was some kind of surface -- I dunno -- sweat/salty kind of residue on its surface. I wiped it with a damp cloth and tried not to notice that when it dried, the mark was still there.

Can't always see it, in fact when I tried to photograph it I failed to capture the marks. But I can't deny that it's without a doubt spreading. Which makes me wonder if perhaps moisture is getting between the finish and the wood with a resultant -- condensation? -- occuring.

Any wisdom on this matter will be appreciated.

I'll try to capture an image and post it tomorrow.
Old 03-16-2013, 08:31 AM
Charter Member

Definitely puzzling! I'm thinking that - unless you did something really reckless - the amount of moisture your guitar is exposed to would be negligible for creating the kind of fog you're describing. How old is the guitar? Would love to see pix and maybe hear from someone familiar with the factors that cause a finish to de-grade.
Flammang SEL
SCGC 00-12 EIR/Sitka
SCGC OM Mahogany/Moon
Old 03-16-2013, 08:31 AM
Charter Member

Was your guitar ever in a heavy tobacco smoke environment?

I'm in the process right now of cleaning up a guitar that was exposed to a lot of smoke...and I wouldn't wish the job on anyone.

Does the finish generally look dull? It could be old smoke deposits.
Old 03-16-2013, 09:12 AM

I think what you are seeing is something called "blushing" and it's caused from moisture under the finish.
I experience this on some guitars with cracked finishes even in high humidity conditions during the summer.

As it dries, it will fade (sometimes).
Old 03-16-2013, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roberts View Post
Definitely puzzling! I'm thinking that - unless you did something really reckless - the amount of moisture your guitar is exposed to would be negligible for creating the kind of fog you're describing. How old is the guitar? Would love to see pix and maybe hear from someone familiar with the factors that cause a finish to de-grade.
The guitar is an '01. I have no idea when the checking occurred though, as I bought it a year and a half ago. Here's a shot that shows some of it. The area just to the bottom left of the bridge, and that wisp above it. Also at the bottom of the pickguard. That thick streak of white (left side of bridge) is just glare reflected off the finish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweiss View Post
Was your guitar ever in a heavy tobacco smoke environment? Does the finish generally look dull? It could be old smoke deposits.
Sweiss, pretty sure it's not smoke. none in our house and it didn't smell of any when i bought it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grenvilleter View Post
I think what you are seeing is something called "blushing" and it's caused from moisture under the finish.
I experience this on some guitars with cracked finishes even in high humidity conditions during the summer.
This is what i supposed, that moisture was somehow getting under. I could live with the look of the blushing, as long as it wasn't going to eventually jeopardize the wood in some way...which if it doesn't dry out, why wouldn't it? Damage the wood i mean.

I'll keep it in the sunshine today for awhile and see what happens.

THanks for the responses.
Old 03-16-2013, 01:08 PM

Quote:

+1.

Looks a lot like the blushing I've seen when finishing some guitars.

Sam
Old 03-16-2013, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Left of Sam View Post
+1.

Looks a lot like the blushing I've seen when finishing some guitars.

Sam
Sam, should I embrace the blushing for its mojo, or worry about
the wood below?
Old 03-16-2013, 08:40 PM

In my limited experience, I don't think it will actually hurt the wood as the amount of moisture is very minute.
It has not seemed to hurt any guitars I've seen other than aesthetically and as previously mentioned the blush will probably fade as the moisture slowly evaporates.

I think I would embrace it rather than get the top refinished.
Old 03-18-2013, 10:49 AM

Quote:
In my limited experience, I don't think it will actually hurt the wood as the amount of moisture is very minute.
It has not seemed to hurt any guitars I've seen other than aesthetically and as previously mentioned the blush will probably fade as the moisture slowly evaporates.

Thanks Gren. The answer I was looking for.
Old 03-23-2013, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Near a week later and the white funk seems to be spreading.

Is it possible just to get a refinish limited to just the top?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair