The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 02-21-2015, 03:08 PM

Default gluing and clamping

I just finished a neck repair and question occurred to me. When you clamp the joint just after gluing of course glue is squeezed out. Is it possible to use so much pressure that too much glue is squeezed out thereby weakening the repair? I don't use pressure that would concave the wood, enough for a tight fit and no more. So far no problem but curious as to what others think. thanks. Jeff B
Old 02-21-2015, 03:40 PM

Yes, I've seen it happen that a joint can be glue-starved due to excessive clamp force ... not on guitars, but on other woodworking projects. It's usually not an issue if you take care to prep the mating surfaces so that there's a good fit between the pieces. Then tighten the clamps to "just snug" and no more.
Old 02-21-2015, 05:41 PM

Reading the literature on hide glue, I see that 100 lb/sq.in. is considered appropriate. That would be a quarter ton or more pressure on a bridge, so I'd say the chances of glue-starved joints is pretty unlikely in our business.

Titebond recommends even more that that, depending on the wood. . .

Frank Ford
Old 02-21-2015, 05:56 PM

Not to hijack the thread, but I've been wondering the same thing as well as something else: is there an advantage or disadvantage to clamping for longer than the time period recommended on the bottle of Titebond? i.e. clamping overnight vs an hour
Old 02-21-2015, 06:56 PM

Default glue and clamping

Thanks for all the replies. I tend to leave the clamps on for several days on high tension joints like broken necks. Jeff B

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair