The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 03-21-2013, 03:21 PM
Charter Member

Default FIrst attempt at doing a "Setup"

Going to attempt a setup on my Seagull Rustic, seems to have too much neck relief and I don't know enough (yet) to determine if saddle and nut height are OK. I doubt it.

Are there any on line tutorials you guys would recommend that would guide me through it? And is there a decent source for the nut files that's not too expensive but good quality? Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 03-21-2013, 05:25 PM

I recommend Basic Guitar Setup 101, but them I'm biased since I wrote it: http://charlestauber.com/luthier/Resources.html.

There are lots of other resources available on the 'net: a google search'll bag you more than you can read.

Inexpensive needle files will work fine on nut slotting, along with an X-Acto knife handle and saw blade. Each is under $10. Needle files that are a "teardrop" shape I find best. Not all sets of needle files include that shape.
Old 03-21-2013, 05:58 PM
Charter Member

Default nice

Really nice write up Charles.

BTW, I see you are in Brampton. I'm making a trip up to the Eh-Day festival to see HMS in St. Cats in June. Ill buy you a beer.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 03-21-2013, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
Really nice write up Charles.
Thank you.

Quote:
BTW, I see you are in Brampton. I'm making a trip up to the Eh-Day festival to see HMS in St. Cats in June. Ill buy you a beer.
I'd like that.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair