The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 03-18-2013, 06:13 PM

Default How do I get started ?

I recently purchased a Seagull S6 on eBay with a cracked front end , actually separated from the side. I have glued it and for the most par t, looks good as new. I probably increased the vaue by a few hundred bucks. I am not a woodworker, but would like to learn other simple fixes such as crack or scratch repairs and other minor aesthetic value enhancing fixes. Artery any good reference sources ?
Fender Strat
Old 03-18-2013, 07:23 PM

Default How do I get started ?

Artery is a good reference source for oxygenated blood.
Old 03-18-2013, 08:34 PM

At one time I got pretty good at fixing radio controlled aircraft as I did not fly all that well. Not sure if breaking perfectly good guitars is a good method for learning how to fix them though.
Old 03-19-2013, 06:06 AM

You could start here, http://www.frets.com/FretsPages/pagelist.html . This is Frank Ford's site and probably the best online resource for doing repairs. Two other good references for repairs are Dan Erlewine's "Guitar Player Repair Guide" & Irving Sloan's "Guitar Repair".
Regards,
Ed
Old 03-19-2013, 10:24 AM

Ed, many thanks.
Fender Strat
Old 03-20-2013, 06:22 AM

Disassembly is not breaking them. Many engineers spend their lives parting out stuff like the latest gizmo from Apple, to either make it better or copy it.

Go ahead and buy perfectly good guitars (don't go crazy and buy a D 28) and disassemble them carefully, make improvements such as getting rid of bracing that kills tone, thinning tops, backs to get more vibration, seeing the complexity of an 8-sided dove tail, how to remove a fretboard, and lots more, and you will learn one heck of a lot about luthiery at a basic level, certainly enough to do two things:
1) whether you have the capability, patience, and learning curve potential to fix them,
2) or not.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair