The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 07-02-2017, 09:42 AM
Charter Member

Champions, by definition can be single-minded, even ruthless in their approach. There are a great many champions most would not consider to be terribly nice people, though of course this doesn't apply to all.

While of course we will have more affinity, respect, interest, and admiration for those who handle themselves with grace, to say someone isn't a great athlete because of their attitude seems to me a denial of simple fact. Pretty easy to separate the two. I certainly prefer to watch an athlete like Dr. J, who always handled himself with class than someone like LeBron, who I find distasteful. But I recognize that's wholly subjective, and for me to deny LeBron's greatness because I don't like the way he acts would be pretty silly.
Old 07-02-2017, 01:13 PM

As I understood Cotten’s post, he wasn’t saying that exceptional athletes are not extraordinary only that it takes more than singular athleticism to merit the classification of greatest. Without integrity and kindness they remain outstanding in their field but have no place among the greatest.
Old 07-02-2017, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post

We did not breed for racing we were breeding for show jumping . But none the less we had some good racing bloodlines. And we had one exceptional mare
that I had the chance to take out on a track. We were by ourselves and after about a 1/4 mile at a trot and then slow canter, when I finally turned her loose and gave one quick squeeze with my legs ( often called giving the horse it head , or more correctly no holding pressure in the reins) She took off and needed no whip she gathered speed quickly and went flat out for probably 3/4 of mile, which was enough for me and I started easing her back. It is a pretty amazing feeling
Sounds like a very cool experience.
Old 07-02-2017, 01:46 PM

That's exactly what I was trying to say, Herb. Thanks. I would take nothing away from any champion who earned his/her trophies in fair competition. (I exclude those who cheat their way to glory.) I applaud those achievements.

I'm simply reserving my own awarding of the term "greatest" to those who have more than just trophies. To me, being great is much like being nice - both are as easy to spot as they are impossible to precisely define.

cotten
Old 07-02-2017, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotten View Post
That's exactly what I was trying to say, Herb. Thanks. I would take nothing away from any champion who earned his/her trophies in fair competition. (I exclude those who cheat their way to glory.) I applaud those achievements.
Cotton, I need to know! Which champions are you referring to that cheated their way to glory? The Black Sox scandal from way back when? The 70's Steelers? Lance Armateing?
Old 07-03-2017, 08:18 PM

I'm aware of many who cheated their way to championships. Some received Olympic gold metals, only to have them stripped when their cheating was discovered. On a personal level, I've known a number of people who cheated their way to positions of power and authority. People saw them as "great champions." I don't. Some of them have been caught, others not yet. I suspect that each of us knows a number of similar people, athletes included. I really don't think it necessary to begin a list here.

cotten
Old 07-04-2017, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotten View Post

I'm simply reserving my own awarding of the term "greatest" to those who have more than just trophies. To me, being great is much like being nice - both are as easy to spot as they are impossible to precisely define.

cotten
It’s good to know I understood correctly.
Old 07-04-2017, 07:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb Hunter View Post
As I understood Cotten’s post, he wasn’t saying that exceptional athletes are not extraordinary only that it takes more than singular athleticism to merit the classification of greatest. Without integrity and kindness they remain outstanding in their field but have no place among the greatest.
Yes, I understood the post.
Old 07-04-2017, 08:05 AM

Joey Chestnut. No contest
Old 07-04-2017, 12:45 PM

Glenn Hall

502 consecutive games as a goal tender in the NHL.
13 consecutive All Star appearances
3 Vezina Trophys
1 Conn Smythe
3 Stanley Cups

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic