The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-22-2018, 10:27 AM

Default Best wireless acoustic pickups

Hi, I recently acquired a classical nylon string guitar without a built-in pick up. Trying to find out about the best wireless pickup options. Need to strike a balance between utility and price.
Old 01-22-2018, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laguitarista View Post
Hi, I recently acquired a classical nylon string guitar without a built-in pick up. Trying to find out about the best wireless pickup options. Need to strike a balance between utility and price.
Wireless? I am not sure if I know of any wireless guitar pickups to be honest. You would most likely need to get a pickup and then a wireless unit. You could be looking at anywhere from $500 up for a pickup and a wireless unit.
Old 01-22-2018, 11:19 AM

You'd need to sort out an onboard pickup to start with, and then once you have decided upon the pickup you could use something like this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Line-Relay-...uitarfcom05-21

(UK link, but available internationally)
Old 01-22-2018, 11:21 AM

A good article here:

https://www.guitarfella.com/best-gui...reless-system/
Old 01-22-2018, 11:59 AM

The simple side of this would be to separate the two issues:
1. Select a pickup of your choice that has a 1/4” out.
2. Chose your wireless connection. (I love my Line 6 G-10 which has a transmitter that plugs into the end pin and a receiver/charger that gets put in front of your effects and amplification.)

My site: Personal Blog

Yamaha LL16R-12 L Series A.R.E.
Yamaha FG-75
Fender CF 60 CE
Ibanez AF75TDG
Epiphone Les Paul Std PlusPRO
Eastman MB515 Mando
Yamaha YPT230 Keyboard
Old 01-22-2018, 12:15 PM
Charter Member

check out the iSolo https://isolopickups.com/
Old 01-22-2018, 12:24 PM

The other thing you want to consider is how much you need wireless? Despite the fact that it can be liberating, it does present new issues. I know the Line 6 G10 for example has issues with active acoustic pickups. There's also the issue of drop outs and interference so you would want a good system. Doug's recommendation looks pretty neat.
Old 01-22-2018, 08:10 PM
Charter Member

Get a good pickup, without worrying about wireless. Then look into a wireless adapter. I have the Line 6 unit, and once I got a right angle adapter for it, it works with every guitar and pickup I've tried it on -
Old 01-22-2018, 08:17 PM

+1 for the Line6 Wireless. I have G30 and G50 units and use them to connect my guitars to either my pedalboard or amp. They work great, are affordable and are very functional.
Emerald X20
Rainsong H-OM1000N2
Voyage-Air VAD-04
Custom Les Paul
Hot Rod Deville 410, Fishman Loudbox Performer
Old 01-22-2018, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadol View Post
Get a good pickup, without worrying about wireless. Then look into a wireless adapter. I have the Line 6 unit, and once I got a right angle adapter for it, it works with every guitar and pickup I've tried it on -
which line 6 model do you have? I know the G10 had issues with active pickups but there was an adapter solution for that. I have always wanted to try the G10 but I have heard that the mini usb power cable breaks off easily.
Old 01-22-2018, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
The other thing you want to consider is how much you need wireless? Despite the fact that it can be liberating, it does present new issues. I know the Line 6 G10 for example has issues with active acoustic pickups. There's also the issue of drop outs and interference so you would want a good system. Doug's recommendation looks pretty neat.

Use of a simple adapter on the Line 6 G-10 corrects the problem with some active acoustic pickups. Or change polarity of the jack. Either one fixes issue.

Yamaha FG-75
Fender CF 60 CE
Ibanez AF75TDG
Eastman MB515 Mando
Yamaha YPT230 Keyboard
Old 01-22-2018, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kip Carter View Post
Use of a simple adapter on the Line 6 G-10 corrects the problem with some active acoustic pickups. Or change polarity of the jack. Either one fixes issue.
That's probably what I had read. I just wish Line 6 had made a better power adapter set up. They definitely went cheap there. Otherwise, it could be a very affordable and reliable live wireless unit.

I have tried the Xvive U2 which is compact but I had bad experiences with it. I actually tried two and both had drop outs and interference, which was a shame.
Old 01-22-2018, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
That's probably what I had read. I just wish Line 6 had made a better power adapter set up. They definitely went cheap there. Otherwise, it could be a very affordable and reliable live wireless unit.

I have tried the Xvive U2 which is compact but I had bad experiences with it. I actually tried two and both had drop outs and interference, which was a shame.

The power input hasn’t been much of an issue with mine. It is the weakest part of the configuration. I figured if for some reason it does fail I would just modify it with a different setup running the usb out to a short cord and using the hole the old power input was.

Yamaha FG-75
Fender CF 60 CE
Ibanez AF75TDG
Eastman MB515 Mando
Yamaha YPT230 Keyboard
Old 01-22-2018, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kip Carter View Post
The power input hasn’t been much of an issue with mine. It is the weakest part of the configuration. I figured if for some reason it does fail I would just modify it with a different setup running the usb out to a short cord and using the hole the old power input was.
True. I saw online that some people had added a DC output so that the G10 could be powered by a normal power supply. Could be an option.
Old 01-26-2018, 12:30 PM

i use the g50. had it 8 yes or so. no issues.
it really reproduces your pickup well.
garbage in garbage out.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification