The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Guitars

Closed Thread

Old 06-28-2017, 06:39 PM

Default SOLD-2012 Razo GA Claro Walnut/Italian Spruce

Selling this beautiful Razo GA. This guitar was originally built in 2012 for a forum member- you can find the original thread here-
http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...ight=razo+%235

Pictures can be seen here-
http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...highlight=razo

It originally had a curly redwood top with cocobolo binding. As luck would have it the guitar made its way back to Jonathan’s hands last year and he decided to give this guitar a new life. He replaced the curly redwood top with an Italian Spruce top and bound it in ebony. The cocobolo soundports were kept as originally made and there were hints of cocobolo throughout the new rosette and end graft to tie the whole guitar beautifully. The neck was scratched as well, a new one was made with the new Razo headstock. The specs are as follows-

2012 Razo GA No.5
Fiddleback Claro Walnut Back & Sides
Italian Spruce Top
Honduran Mahogany Neck
25.4" Scale Length
Ebony binding, fingerboard, bridge
Bone Nut & Saddle
1-3/4” Nut Width
2-1/4” Spacing at Saddle
Evo Gold Fretwire
Cosmo Black Gotoh 510 Tuners

This guitar has a thin body, 3.5” deep at the neck block and 3.75” deep at the tail block. Almost feels like an archtop guitar, but don’t let the depth fool you as this guitar sings and has a surprisingly open sound for such a thin body. I will try to get a recording here in the next couple of days, that will be the best way to actually here the guitar- I just find that describing tone is very subjective and we all hear and interpret sound differently. The guitar is currently at Jonathan’s shop getting beautified, so take advantage and make a move on this baby while it’s still there- so you can have it set up to your personal preferences.

I am asking SOLD. Jonathan’s base price is currently at $4900, and a guitar with the exact specs would be well over $6k-so save time and money with this one. If you have any questions feel free to send me a PM and I will get back to as soon as I can.

-Bryan

Last edited by barcafan; 07-12-2017 at 12:27 PM.
Old 06-29-2017, 07:34 AM
Charter Member

A new top?? What happened there?
Old 06-29-2017, 12:01 PM

Good question-

Early on in his career, I want to say first 6 or 7 guitars, Jonathan drilled holes in his braces. From my understanding, at the time he thought that by drilling holes he could reduce the weight of the braces and get a more responsive sound. The holes also made the braces weaker and more prone to failure, which is what happened with this one- one of the braces cracked and was causing extra stress on the top and a big belly. Instead of fixing it, Razo decided to put a new top on it -more in line with his aesthetic and brace it accordingly to his new bracing/voicing.. That's my understanding of what happened for more specifics I can ask Jonathan.

Also forgot to note in the original post that Jonathan is offering to extend limited warranty to new owner

Here is a sound clip put together by the maker himself, to get an idea of the sound of this beauty-

-Bryan
Old 06-30-2017, 12:31 PM

Couple PM's replied to- not really in the market for a trade at this moment but will consider reasonable cash offers.

-Bryan
Old 07-02-2017, 05:20 PM

Bump it up to the top with new price for the week!

Offering a 48 hour trial period on this one. If it doesnt blow your socks off in the first 48 hours ship it back and receive a refund minus shipping charges. Can't go wrong here!

-Bryan
Old 07-02-2017, 11:18 PM

Do you mind if I ask whether there was anything you found unsatisfactory with its tone? How would you, as much as possible in written form, describe the tone?

Thanks.
Old 07-03-2017, 07:15 AM
Charter Member

Default Claro Walnut - Italian Spruce Razo

I got to play this guitar recently when I visited Jonathan to hear Rixter's GA and
my own recently completed Tree mahogany GA. I was impressed how similar it sounded (a very good thing) to each of these deeper bodied GA's.

This guitar's creamy Italian Spruce top was braced and revoiced in the same manner as his two most recent GA's. It was updated with Razo's current neck, bridge and new custom end cap inlay and also received a beautiful new finish along with his most recent builds.

I remember playing this guitar back in 2012 before it shipped. The flamed redwood top was beautiful but didn't have the strong projection and balance that it now does.

Jonathan took this guitar in from the previous owner at the 2016 Santa Barbara Acoustic Instrument Celebration for credit towards a new commissioned build knowing that he could "spruce" it up nicely (pardon the pun)

Good luck with the sale...someone will be happy with this one!

Last edited by doodahdoug; 07-07-2017 at 01:30 PM. Reason: picture added
Old 07-06-2017, 01:45 PM

Authentic-

This isn't listed because i found it unsatisfactory, I have a commissioned guitar with Jonathan set to start at the end of the year and need to make room.

As doodahdoug mentioned above - this guitar does not sound thin like you'd expect from a very thin body. Its ultra responsive and balanced across all 6 strings, it has a piano-esque like quality in sound. I can promise you will not be disappointed!

Still looking for a loving home-

-Bryan
Old 07-09-2017, 10:19 AM

Just became a motivated seller-make me an offer on this beauty! You never know- you might be the winning number!

-Bryan
Old 07-12-2017, 12:21 PM

Sold, Thanks AGF!

-Bryan
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Guitars