The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-28-2017, 03:26 PM

This is terrific news. Forward shifted and 1 3/4! May just get one.
Old 06-28-2017, 03:33 PM
Guest12345inv

Well, it makes not a lot of difference to me as I won't have the money or a dry enough home safe for a guitar like these, but I have a humble wish that Martin would ever so slightly tweak the pickguard design to make it a bit less utilitarian and take the guitars out of the design classic bracket, without anything like that perverse-looking mutant Taylor guard used on some of their range. How about a D28-M, M for modern, a version that sounds and behaves like a D28 but could otherwise be a new guitar. Black Tusq nut and saddle... no pickguard, even... How about a cedar-topped version?

And get rid of the 25 gauge G strings as well, Martin. Nobody wants this. Nobody. That's a thin D.
Old 06-28-2017, 03:59 PM

[QUOTE=theinvisibleman;5390352] Black Tusq nut and saddle... no pickguard, even... How about a cedar-topped version?

QUOTE]

Alright Buddy, you're cut off. Let's get this guy a taxi.
Old 06-28-2017, 04:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kupuna50 View Post
Finally, 13/4 nut!!!! YES!
My hesitation to get the iconic D-28 was the 1 11/16 nut, now I can get one!
I just purchased the D-18 with the 1 3/4 nut and cannot be happier.
Thank, Martin, for finally 'seeing the light'!!
Yup - step in the right direction ...after how many years ?

"light strings"and recommendation abut top rising ....nonononono --- just excusing poor build.
Old 06-28-2017, 04:35 PM

Wow....judging by all the love this new design is getting I am really hoping it drives the price down on recent used models.
Old 06-28-2017, 04:46 PM

love forward-shifted X bracing but this is no longer a true D-28...

ain't nothing scared?
Old 06-28-2017, 05:05 PM
Guest12345inv

[QUOTE=theoscarpaco;5390379]
Quote:
Originally Posted by theinvisibleman View Post
Black Tusq nut and saddle... no pickguard, even... How about a cedar-topped version?

QUOTE]

Alright Buddy, you're cut off. Let's get this guy a taxi.
Fold-out toothbrush on the headstock?

Comic Sans font for the Martin headstock logo?

Formica b&s?

Lasered rosette?

'This Guitar Quells Facelifts' printed on the lower bout?

Make it in Mexico? (I'm fine with this one. A factory's a factory.)

I'm going to bed.
Old 06-28-2017, 06:50 PM

Neck width means very little to me because I have small hands with short, crooked fingers. Even with 1.75" width I can make it work so long as the neck profile is thinner.

I like the idea of forward shifting the bracing, just as the D-28 used to be. I also like the open back tuner; it's a vintage touch that matches the diamond volute on the 28 series. I think the aging toner on the top and white binding is also a nice touch.

While I can't wait to try one, I also don't think that it will sway me away from my lust for a HD-35 or HD-28V. I like scalloped bracing and herringbone. Come to think of it, is the HD-28 going to be altered to have forward shifted X bracing too, but with the low profile neck to distinguish it from the HD-28V?
Old 06-28-2017, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Yates View Post
Lighter bracing, but not thinner tops. The D-45A 1942 was specified with a thinner top, but that is the exception not the rule. The Authentic thin top is a myth that won't go away. However, they are not generally thinner, and I have measured enough of them to be convinced.
The custom shop allows a "sanded to Authentic thickness" upgrade.

If the lower series Authentics don't have thinner tops, then calling them "Authentics" would be misleading, as some people may think sanding to Authentic thickness implies thinner tops.
Old 06-28-2017, 08:06 PM

The thing is, the whole idea that "thinner" is better is predicated on the belief that the density and stiffness of a certain species of wood are constants. They are not, so even if one example of a certain model sounds good that's no guarantee that every other example of that model is going to sound the same. On paper the specs may look desirable but really it all comes down to whether or not that particular guitar is a "good one" or a dog. That's why it's best not to buy sight unseen and bide your time as you search for the best of the lot. For me, that's the best part of purchasing a guitar; kicking the tires, so to speak.
Old 06-28-2017, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil K Walk View Post
Neck width means very little to me because I have small hands with short, crooked fingers. Even with 1.75" width I can make it work so long as the neck profile is thinner.

I like the idea of forward shifting the bracing, just as the D-28 used to be. I also like the open back tuner; it's a vintage touch that matches the diamond volute on the 28 series. I think the aging toner on the top and white binding is also a nice touch.

While I can't wait to try one, I also don't think that it will sway me away from my lust for a HD-35 or HD-28V. I like scalloped bracing and herringbone. Come to think of it, is the HD-28 going to be altered to have forward shifted X bracing too, but with the low profile neck to distinguish it from the HD-28V?

It's called the HD28E Retro. :-)
Old 06-28-2017, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theinvisibleman View Post
without anything like that perverse-looking mutant Taylor guard used on some of their range.
BE NICE! The Acoustic Forum is a happy place. Mean people are not welcome here. If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all. Treat others with respect. If you bumped into each other in the guitar store, you'd probably be cordial. We ask that you be the same way here. The people on the forum are your neighbors, and share similar love for music and guitars. *Please refrain from "brand-wars", or discussions on which brand of guitar is better than the other.* The philosophy at the Acoustic Guitar Forum is that the best guitar for YOU is the guitar that you fall in love with - the guitar that speaks to you. Tone is such a subjective thing... What sounds great to one person might not sound so good to another. That's okay! If you can make music with it, if you love it, it's the right guitar for YOU! At the Acoustic Guitar Forum, we respect each other no matter what brand of guitar we play. This is a family-friendly forum. Vulgar, obscene, or otherwise inappropriate language or content (pictures, etc.) has no place on this forum. Messages considered by the Administrators or Moderators to be inappropriate will be deleted without warning.
Old 06-28-2017, 08:33 PM

1 3/4" nut - yea, finally.
Open tuners - meh to bleah
White accents - bleah
Aging toner -

I get that open back tuners are all the rage suddenly so I can't really blame Martin for going with those instead of quality sealed tuners, but I simply can't stand Martin's ugly orange aging toner.

I suspect that MFG will have a thriving business ordering these as a "custom" where the only change is to delete the toner.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 06-28-2017, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
It's called the HD28E Retro. :-)
Isn't that particular model slightly shallower in body depth though? I'm not quite a Martin-phile so I have trouble keeping all these different models straight.
Old 06-28-2017, 08:52 PM
Charter Member

This is fantastic news. Finally, the D28 catches up with the D18 at 1 3/4"!!!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion