The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 06-25-2017, 04:32 PM

Default Replacing Fishman Blender

I'm having trouble finding an equivalent to the (sadly discontinued) Fishman Blender 2-channel preamp I've been using for 20+ years. I have a mini-mic and an under-saddle piezo pickup in my Lowden O10, summed in a stereo output jack.

The Blender splits the stereo signal to two separate preamp channels, one providing phantom power to the mini-mic, that have volume and EQ for each sound source. It has XLR outputs for each, as well as the mix of both, to send to the PA, and a 1/4" output which I send to my amp. It also has effects loops for either channel and the mix, and ground lift and phase switches.

It's a very well thought-out and versatile unit that has provided me the most natural amplified acoustic sound I've experienced, which has gotten me compliments from audiences, sound people, and fellow musicians. But it has developed some problems, like crackling pots and dodgy jacks, that make me think it'll fail eventually. I haven't been able to find a similar product on the market. Are there any units out there now that can do all these things?
Old 06-25-2017, 07:58 PM

The Pocket Blender was a great unit, indeed. There aren't nearly enough similar units but a used DTar Solstice is similar and I believe the Grace Felix is capable. There's also the Baggs MixPro, which is a belt clip unit, but it can do quite a bit and is very affordable.
Taylor 514ce

Zoom AC3

https://linktr.ee/erikjmusic
Old 06-25-2017, 10:22 PM

There's a gent on Reverb - Brian something? PM me if you want me to hunt his address down - who has some NOS Blender units for sale. I bought one to replace a worn Blender and installed it in my ca 2000 312, and it works fine.

Meanwhile, I talked to Fishman to get data re the parts, and have done some repairs to the unit that came out of the 312, and it no longer crackles etc.

There's a working backup now for fifteen years from now when this one wears out
Old 06-26-2017, 05:54 PM

Thanks for the replies. The Grace Felix unit seems to fit the bill. Much appreciated!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification