The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 06-25-2017, 07:09 AM

I would rather fuss over how much everything costs as well as guitars and music I don't like.
Old 06-25-2017, 07:10 AM
Guest316

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby Walker View Post
Just a thought. This doesn't happen a lot, but when it does boy howdy, is it every annoying.

In a number of threads, I've noticed that rather than answering the OP's question, many of us simply start talking about ourselves before getting around to the fact that we have no clue as to how to answer the OP's question. Our contribution to the topic may or may be about the topic at all, but rather we turn it towards ourselves when we have no experience or knowledge about the topic. I'm sure that the OP, as well as those of us who would also want to learn something would love to get to the meat without having to wade through the chaff.

While I can understand that our intentions are well-meaning and that we love to help each other, actually answering the question perhaps is the best type of advice we can give. As many of us have different viewpoints and experiences, I'm sure that we'll come up with quite a few different answers which will promote some interesting discussion.

Ok, rant over. Back to our regular and hopefully improved programming.
I agree with you, however would add that it's just human nature at work. Fortunately, even in looooong threads that may have a lot of self-adulation posts, there are usually very useful answers and quality "on topic" conversations to balance it out.

We're all just people.
Old 06-25-2017, 07:32 AM

Or at least read the posts prior to yours before responding.
Old 06-25-2017, 07:39 AM

Excellent observation, Toby...

Sadly, this seems to be the case in any conversation...it drives me bonkers @ work (or anywhere else, but I hear this a lot on the job)m when the first thing someone says in reply is, "That's like me" or goes to something related w/out addressing the matter at hand...I'm notorious for telling them, "It was a 'yes or no' question"...

All that on the chalk board = Conversation is a dying art...
Old 06-25-2017, 07:42 AM
Charter Member

I agree Toby. Often though, I find the tangents entertaining and sometimes useful for other topics.
Old 06-25-2017, 07:42 AM

People go to forums to seek acceptance and and to fit in.

Whenever they get a chance to chime in on ANY thread to add anything whether it fits or not, this is a chance to showcase themselves to others.

Everyone wants to see and be part of the dog and pony show whether they were invited or not.

By the way, I just bought several electric guitars in the last few months.

I got a Fender Strat, Gibson LP Jr., and a Gibson SG-3.

They're really nice guitars,but I just can't seem to get that nice big Martin D-28 tone out of them.

Anyone have any ideas how to achieve this?
'81 Martin 7-28 7/8 D-28
'03 Taylor Jumbo Custom
'04 Ramirez 1-E Classical
'09 Breedlove Roots OM/SR acoustic/electric
‘15 Martin Centennial DC - 28E
Old 06-25-2017, 07:43 AM

I think some take forums too seriously. Sorry my comment is about me.

......Mike
Old 06-25-2017, 07:47 AM
Charter Member

Location: Stationary home in NJ. Mobile home on any given highway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed-in-Ohio View Post
Here are two of my favorites...

OP: "I have definitely narrowed it down to either A, B, or C. It's going to be one of these three. For those who are familiar with these choices, which would you recommend and why?"

Reply: "D"

and another:

OP: "My playing style is X, and I am looking for a Y style of acoustic guitar. My hard budget is $1,000. What guitar do you recommend?"

Reply: "Save up and get guitar Z that costs $1,500"
Yes... that's EXACTLY what I'm talking about. In the second example, I could even see if the person said something like, 'here's a few Y styles that would fit your X style of playing priced within your budget. Additionally, if it were possible to wait a bit and perhaps save a little more, this Z style may suit you even better. The reason is that it has this do-dad and that do-dad which was designed for the X style players. Either choice though would suit your needs.

In that example, not only is the person answering the OP's question, but is also offering additional information which would furhter both the OP's and anyone else's knowledge.
Old 06-25-2017, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby Walker View Post
Yes... that's EXACTLY what I'm talking about. In the second example, I could even see if the person said something like, 'here's a few Y styles that would fit your X style of playing priced within your budget. Additionally, if it were possible to wait a bit and perhaps save a little more, this Z style may suit you even better. The reason is that it has this do-dad and that do-dad which was designed for the X style players. Either choice though would suit your needs.

In that example, not only is the person answering the OP's question, but is also offering additional information which would furhter both the OP's and anyone else's knowledge.
Wheaties were a mistake.
Old 06-25-2017, 07:52 AM

I'm always for more rules and regulations. Maybe we could elect a review board to check every post to make sure they conform.

......Mike
Old 06-25-2017, 07:55 AM
Get off my lawn kid

If everyone thought's processes were the same and said only what was appropriate, things would get boring pretty quickly....

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 06-25-2017, 08:02 AM

My thoughts on the subject....

Forum members want to participate. Some questions have a narrow focus, and if there is no tangential participation the OP wonders why there is no response, sometimes only after an hour or two has passed.

Sometimes we see our former selves in the OP's question, and want to provide the benefit of our experience, especially when we think our narrow focus caused us to miss a better opportunity in the past. This can result in a tangential answer, but the poster believes that kind of response may provide value to the OP.

The OP is asking a question, rather than simply proceeding on their own or acting on some shop worker's recommendation. The OP is actively seeking the benefit of others experiences. Perhaps the OP, along with other participants, is expecting the possibility of emergent value in responses that do not necessarily stay within the narrow focus of the question. Perhaps this is a significant reason forums like this get the participations levels that they enjoy.

Of course there is a process - out of 10 tangential responses, maybe only 3 have value. But without any tangential responses, that value would have been lost, and the only help would have come from the totally electric playing kid in the shop.....
Seagull Natural Elements Dreadnaught
Taylor 418e
Taylor 514ce LTD
Old 06-25-2017, 08:09 AM

I hear what you're saying, OP, but consider this.

I played a Martin 000-15m burst the other day. It was a great guitar. I'd just had a strong cup of coffee, so I was in a pretty good mood. It really fit my hand well. I think you'd probably be very happy with one of these.
Old 06-25-2017, 08:32 AM

Old 06-25-2017, 08:44 AM

Jeez, I'm old...

I actually know that's a picture of Judith Martin, AKA Miss Manners...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic