The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-24-2017, 11:22 AM

Default Flew Delta

I took a flight on Delta yesterday, Carried on my guitar with no questions asked or any dirty looks. There was even extra room in the overhead bins on a full flight.
Old 06-24-2017, 11:39 AM

I flew Canada Air and British Airways last month (5 legs) from Raleigh, NC to Regina, CA to Düsseldorf, Germany, with a Taylor GS Mini.

Each gate person told me that it would not fit, but let me try it any way, it fit with no trouble, even on their small turbo prop.

The ticket and gate persons were skeptical and not very nice, but the cabin crew in all cases were very friendly. On one flight the pilot offered to store it on the flight deck if it didn't fit in the overhead.

Various stringed instruments
Old 06-24-2017, 11:40 AM

Was it in a hard case or gig bag?

I just flew on Alaska Air with my Yamaha Silent guitar (soft case) and had no problems.

On the other hand, a friend of mine just flew on Hawaiian Air (from Cal to Maui) and she was forced to gate check her Godin (in gig bag)! And they had to retrieve it at the carousel in baggage claim with all the other luggage! She also didn't know about FAA's new law regarding guitars.
Old 06-28-2017, 10:09 AM

I just returned yesterday on Delta and had the same uneventful experience. I just took my Seagull SWS in a gig bag mentally prepared to gate check. This flight was nearly full but lots of room in the overhead bins again.
Old 06-28-2017, 12:47 PM

It’s great that there was empty space overhead on flights some have commented on here. I never see space overhead and there are always passengers in the later boarding sections that have to gate check. Maybe it has something to do with the destination. When flying to busy hubs or large metropolitan airports on flights with 80% business travelers who pack everything in a carry-on , I never see extra space available.

Unless I was taking a relatively low value guitar, I would not take the chance of having to gate check it because of space issues on a full flight, but glad to hear some have good experiences doing so.

I was on a flight with a great fingerstyle player who took his guitar AND a small electronics rack in a small padded case to the gate, and he was denied at the gate. Luckily nothing was damaged after being thrown into the underside storage of the plane, but he was a nervous wreck the whole way.
Old 06-28-2017, 12:50 PM

Have a big trip soon with Delta, very useful to hear.
Old 06-28-2017, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalani View Post
... She also didn't know about FAA's new law regarding guitars.
Citing it likely would have made no difference.
Old 06-28-2017, 02:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalani View Post
.... She also didn't know about FAA's new law regarding guitars.
FAA's law is very often misunderstood.

I encourage everyone to take the time and read the specific baggage policies of the airline you use, completely read all the words written.

Pay particular attention to the clause "if space permits". It means exactly what it says.

It does not guarantee the passenger anything except the possibility that there could be available space. Be prepared to gate check , or leave the guitar at home.

Huss & Dalton CM
McKnight MacNaught
Breedlove Custom 000
Albert & Mueller S
Martin LXE
Voyage-Air VM04
Eastman AR605CE
Old 06-28-2017, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyFB View Post
Pay particular attention to the clause "if space permits". It means exactly what it says.

It does not guarantee the passenger anything except the possibility that there could be available space. Be prepared to gate check , or leave the guitar at home.

Exactly so.
Old 06-28-2017, 03:51 PM
Charter Member

I fly Delta quite often. My J 50 flies in a Hiscox case and gets gate checked.

Optima dies, prima fugit
Old 06-28-2017, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyFB View Post
FAA's law is very often misunderstood.

If you gate check on Delta, they will no longer valet your guitar to the gate after your flight.
It is checked to the final destination, and you will have to pick it up at baggage claim.
Old 06-28-2017, 05:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliverkollar View Post
If you gate check on Delta, they will no longer valet your guitar to the gate after your flight.
It is checked to the final destination, and you will have to pick it up at baggage claim.
I haven't had that experience. My guitar gets pink tagged, like strollers or wheel chairs.

Optima dies, prima fugit
Old 06-28-2017, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Owen View Post
I haven't had that experience. My guitar gets pink tagged, like strollers or wheel chairs.
When I flew Delta in late March of this year, I went to gate check my guitar in a Calton Case.

When I asked if I could pick it up at the gate in Atlanta, they said no, you will have to pick it up at baggage claim at your final destination. I told them that I have flown Delta 4-8 times a year and always gate checked my guitar, and have picked it up at the gate. They told me they no longer valet guitar cases, and they are checked to the final destination.

When was the last time you gate checked your guitar?

I hope they've since changed their policy.
Old 06-29-2017, 09:41 AM
Charter Member

Default Last week

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliverkollar View Post
When I flew Delta in late March of this year, I went to gate check my guitar in a Calton Case.

When I asked if I could pick it up at the gate in Atlanta, they said no, you will have to pick it up at baggage claim at your final destination. I told them that I have flown Delta 4-8 times a year and always gate checked my guitar, and have picked it up at the gate. They told me they no longer valet guitar cases, and they are checked to the final destination.

When was the last time you gate checked your guitar?

I hope they've since changed their policy.
Last week, from ATL to Kansas City. I'm wondering if they really have a policy--from your experience it sounds as if they make it up as they go along.

Optima dies, prima fugit
Old 06-29-2017, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Owen View Post
Last week, from ATL to Kansas City. I'm wondering if they really have a policy--from your experience it sounds as if they make it up as they go along.
I think you're right.

I went from Sacramento to SLC to Nashville and Nashville to Atlanta to Sacramento and all the gate agents said they will no longer valet guitars. 2 flight attendants also told me that. They all told me to carry it on. They found room on all flights for it.....a 1950 J-45 in a Calton. One gate agent boarded the aircraft after it was filled up, overbooked of course, and proceeded to tell me I would need to gate check it to make room for other peoples carry on luggage. I had no problem with this, but insisted that they valet it to the gate. He then argued with me and said they no longer valet cases. I was persistent so he relented and said they would do it this "one time".

Could be they went back to their original policy of gate checking and then having it at the gate for pick up.

Good to know.

Last edited by oliverkollar; 06-29-2017 at 06:25 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion