The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 06-26-2017, 04:10 PM

I'm also a big fan of the "America" VW commercials...

As a lifelong car guy, don't get me started on US emissions standards...
Old 06-26-2017, 09:17 PM

If the artist is putting his face to the commercial, or, otherwise endorsing a product then it could be termed a "sell out". How many bands do covers of famous songs and pay royalties for the privilege. What if the band was called <Think of any obnoxious name you like> and they were covering Your fantastic songs. They were paying royalties to which ever organisation to which you belonged so they were "covered". You may object to their premise, but, in reality, you have no legal grounds to prevent them from using your song because they did everything by the book.

Just because you manufacture bullets, or guns, does not make you a murderer. (And - no I don't want to turn this into a gun debate - it is only an illustration)
Old 06-27-2017, 06:08 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSemmens View Post
If the artist is putting his face to the commercial, or, otherwise endorsing a product then it could be termed a "sell out". How many bands do covers of famous songs and pay royalties for the privilege. What if the band was called <Think of any obnoxious name you like> and they were covering Your fantastic songs. They were paying royalties to which ever organisation to which you belonged so they were "covered". You may object to their premise, but, in reality, you have no legal grounds to prevent them from using your song because they did everything by the book.
To put things back into perspective The OP was only about a synchronization licence (which is obtained directly from the copyright holder with full knowledge of what it is for )

Which is completely different than a performance licence (which by the way is usually obtained by the performance venue ) not the band performing the cover, and collected and paid through a PRO (in which case it is highly likely the copyright holder will have no direct knowledge of the usage)
So the reference to performance rights and or the manufacturing of amo has no direct relevance to the thread topic.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 06-27-2017 at 07:59 AM.
Old 06-27-2017, 07:32 AM
I know that one

Whether or not it's "Selling Out" depends on your perspective. I believe you have the right to do with your songs what you want but you must be willing to live with the consequences. At times it won't be about the use of your song, it may be comments said on stage or during an interview - just ask Natalie Maines. I think the key is to be true to yourself. You may ruffle a few feathers but at least you sleep well at night.
Old 06-27-2017, 10:15 AM

Personally, I think a singer/songwriter has the right to do anything they please with their material, whether it's purely for profit, or to further a cause of their choice...

But if a percentage of the artist's "fans" are rubbed the wrong way by that action, or decide that the artist has "sold out" and no longer deserves their $$ by the purchase of music or concert tickets, that's a chance the artist takes...

Likewise, if an artist takes a public stance on a controversial subject (which they have every right to do) the public has a right to express how they feel about that...usually with their wallets...
Old 06-27-2017, 05:08 PM
Charter Member

I don't see where having the "right" to do something has anything to do with ethics of doing something. I have the "right" to cheat on my girl friend but is it ethical?

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 06-27-2017, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jelly View Post
I don't see where having the "right" to do something has anything to do with ethics of doing something. I have the "right" to cheat on my girl friend but is it ethical?

If you're exercising freedom of speech by expressing your opinion of what is "selling out" and what isn't, it's ethical...

If you physically, mentally and emotionally violate the trust of your girlfriend by cheating on her, it's not ethical...

You're welcome...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic