The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 06-16-2017, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonPR View Post
Those are the ones I mean.

It's not just the "never-mind-what-it's-called" people - that's not so bad, really, plenty of people do well enough in music without knowing what stuff is called. And I don't think there's many who deliberately obscure information.
The problem is the shortcut folk, mostly people misusing terminology, in order to make quick buck. While pretending to offer short cuts and quick fixes, they actually make things more complicated.
That serves their purposes, of course, because the more complicated something can be made to appear to be, the more bite-sized chunks of information it can be broken down into, the more a learner can be tied into an enfless series of "lessons".
It's in no one's interest to explain things simply. No one's going to make any money from a one-page book...

I obviously try not to mislead, but most of the time I'm thinking "for chrissake, with a bit more self-discipline you can do this all yourself!" I taught myself, why can't they??
Ah, yes, I see you do know them very well. They seem to always have a clever name for a new system, don't they?

I'm the one who does it all myself.

Lefty Acoustics

Martin 00-15M
Taylor 320e Baritone

Cheap Righty Classical (played upside down ala Elizabeth Cotten)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write