The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 05-12-2017, 06:30 AM

Sorry to hear about your puppy mishap. I just got a new pup and envisioned the same thing happening to me. I have not left a guitar out since his arrival. Best of luck with the repair.
Old 05-12-2017, 06:54 AM

Sorry for your breakage and it's not the dog's fault. Luckily it's a lesson learned before you bring out your Olson. Take it to your repair dudette and have her/him fix it properly (or not only they will know). It can likely be fixed, nearly perfectly, by a qualified guitar luthier/tech. Then don't leave it out on a stand where children/pets (yes same category) or strangers (anyone not familiar with your guitar habits) can knock it over.
Old 05-12-2017, 07:11 AM

I had three guitars out on stands earlier in the week. My B and SIL were over and she kept throwing a dog toy right at the guitars and the dog kept chasing it and sliding into the guitars. I had to tell her several times to not throw that where the dog can knock the guitars over.
Ibanez GSR200 Bass
Abilene Hot Rod Bass (found parts in trash can an resurrected)
Peavey TKO Bass Amp
Cordoba Concert Ukulele
A few more things that I'll add soon
Old 05-12-2017, 08:40 AM

I tend to go against the grain here ( pun intended) - but when I glue up a break like this, where it is intended to be permanent - no reason to ever want to take it apart - I use resorcinal glue. It is a two part like epoxy, but mixes thinner. It is very permanent , the same stuff they use for outdoor plywood and airplane propellers. It also dries to a dark brown color, which helps hide the glue line. Two notes of caution though, it is somewhat toxic, and it doesn't fill gaps very well.
Old 05-12-2017, 12:46 PM

Sorry about that accident. The most surefire way of rebuilding the headstock would, in my opinion, involve gluing that nice, clean break, adding a spline (don't make the mistake of making the splines too big, thereby compromising the remaining wood) and, if you reallyt want strength, replacing the fiber plate with ebony, thick enough to add strength over the break, but not so thick as to interfere with the string break/path. If this were mine, I'd use the opportunity to do some inlay as well,m just for fun. If you're careful, I think you can repair your much-loved guitar cleanly and successfully. Good luck. I play Les Pauls, and this break happens all the freaking time.
Old 05-12-2017, 01:34 PM

Not dumb dog - dumb owner. Kids and animals think in straight lines. Leaving a guitar out on a stand or leaned up against anything with kids or pets around is courting disaster.
Old 05-12-2017, 04:38 PM

Didn't think people were allowed to insult others on this forum!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
Old 05-12-2017, 04:40 PM

Have removed the headstock veneer. Would like to go back as close to original as possible. Anyone know where I can get a black headstock veneer?

Old 05-12-2017, 04:43 PM

This is what came off. Don't think I would be able to get one with the decals, but may be able to get decals separate. Have ordered black abs veneer but coming from China. Will take a month.

Old 05-12-2017, 04:58 PM

This is what it looks like just holding it together.

Old 05-12-2017, 05:05 PM
Charter Member

It might be marginal, but I think a wooden veneer would add a bit more strength than ABS. I might also add a back strap overlay on the back. If you really want to spruce it up, you could get an overlay veneer with the logo in pearl.
Old 05-12-2017, 06:43 PM

Default graphics

Any of a large number of graphics suppliers can take the photocopy image OP made of the headstock veneer and replicate it as a rub-on transfer. Very inexpensive to do, far cheaper than getting inlays done and indistinguishable to someone without a magnifying glass. OP can get that done while waiting for the mailman to bring the package from China. Or OP can buy an ebony veneer and get it installed and finished, and apply the graphics anytime. I use a vendor in New Mexico, 'Callie Graphics'. OP may have a supplier nearby to visit in person.

And I agree that wood might brace the repair better than plastic, but I can't quote numbers.
Old 05-12-2017, 07:32 PM

The removed veneer is actually a product known as vulcanized fibre.

Decals / logos are propriety, so no reputable shop would sell them for fear of being sued by the manufacturer.

A locally endorsed repairer by that manufacturer could supply and fit an authorised decal, here in Australia - Perth, I confirm the part is genuine before doing it and send an email to my contact in that company so they are aware of what I am about to do or have done.

Becoming a very litigious world

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 05-13-2017, 06:17 AM
Guest 1928

There's no infringement of trademark law in making a replacement logo for repair, not in the US anyway. That would be an issue if the intent was to pass something off as something it was not, and then I believe only if you sold it.

That said, I think you could probably salvage the logos from the original faceplate. You'd need to be careful as I'm not sure they are even inlays. They may be very pieces glued on top of the faceplate and finished over. If that is the case, it is going to be difficult to get them off in one piece, but you could cut them out by hand using the original plate as a backer for the thin logo.
Old 05-13-2017, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phavriluk View Post
For them who have pets and children in the house - - - as we have seen, guitars are fragile and keeping them secure when moving hazards are around is a good thing from the guitar's perspective...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManyMartinMan View Post
Sorry for your breakage and it's not the dog's fault. Luckily it's a lesson learned before you bring out your Olson. Take it to your repair dudette and have her/him fix it properly (or not only they will know). It can likely be fixed, nearly perfectly, by a qualified guitar luthier/tech. Then don't leave it out on a stand where children/pets (yes same category) or strangers (anyone not familiar with your guitar habits) can knock it over.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRuskin View Post
Not dumb dog - dumb owner. Kids and animals think in straight lines. Leaving a guitar out on a stand or leaned up against anything with kids or pets around is courting disaster.
Been there, done that myself. Every so often I forget that very lesson - only to be reminded in spectacular fashion. For example, I found that music doesn't soothe the savage beast and that Larrivees make lousy javelins. Fortunately, clean breaks can be repaired and you get what you pay for with regards to instruments and repairmen.

FWIW it can be possible to leave a guitar out and not have it knocked over. As with real estate, it's all about location location location. Leaning it against a couch or a desk (especially on a hard non-carpeted floor) is a recipe for disaster.

Don't blame the dog though. S/he was just being a dog. That's not a slight against dogs - my cat would do the same thing. She'd just be a bit more sly about it. Cats are evil.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair