The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Events and New Releases

Old 06-26-2017, 12:46 PM
AGF Sponsor

Amy,
What is the name of that cool recorder thing-a-ma-bob for your iPhone?
Old 06-26-2017, 01:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim McKnight View Post
Amy,
What is the name of that cool recorder thing-a-ma-bob for your iPhone?
http://www.shure.com/americas/motiv/mv88

Huss & Dalton CM
McKnight MacNaught
Breedlove Custom 000
Albert & Mueller S
Martin LXE
Voyage-Air VM04
Eastman AR605CE
Old 06-26-2017, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyFB View Post
That is very cool! I have a Blue Spark that I use with my Ipad, but it's has to sit on a table with a cord. I can see this in my future.
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom
Old 06-26-2017, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Hey Neil ! Sorry I didn't personally bid you adieu and safe travels before I hit the rod Saturday night. Enjoyed hanging with you and the rest of the McJammers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No problem, Amy. You were pretty busy and had a long trip ahead of you.
Old 06-26-2017, 03:22 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil K Walk View Post
No problem, Amy. You were pretty busy and had a long trip ahead of you.
Neil, we were glad you stuck around for a while on Sunday. We always hope for more time to chat. This is the first year we decided to take it.

AGF MCKNIGHT GUITAR SNIPPETS https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=663228

I'll continue "Doin' Life ... As a Luthier's Wife"
McJam = Guitar private event June 21-22, 2024
[email protected]
Pre-sign is required and begins now.
Old 06-26-2017, 03:25 PM
AGF Sponsor

I made a thread to tell about the McJam and then I realized I was in Open mic. Well, I might get a finger shakin', but I did send Dennis a message that because I am not the brightest crayon in the box maybe he can move it where it needs to go. If it s OK there then I am OK with that.

Y'all can chase it down at the following link.

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=474637

AGF MCKNIGHT GUITAR SNIPPETS https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=663228

[email protected]
Old 06-26-2017, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary View Post
Neil, we were glad you stuck around for a while on Sunday. We always hope for more time to chat. This is the first year we decided to take it.
I'm glad I stuck around too. I am really grateful that Tim allowed me to bend his ear.

Now I have to stop eating these cookies. My tummy hurts!
Old 06-26-2017, 06:21 PM
AGF Sponsor

I need to email a few pictures to Dennis. I hope the camera was high enough resolution for a good copy of the group and the McJam clan

[email protected]
Old 06-27-2017, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Interesting. We talked about this briefly this past weekend while your guitar was getting set up but other things were going on so I couldn't ask more about it. I've been wanting to upgrade to something a bit less clunky (that didn't require adapters for the lightning connection or that I go through the process of importing prerecorded media to my library before importing into iMovie) than my old Zoom H2 and was looking around for attachments for my iPhone. This looks like it would fit the bill but the price seems a bit high for a single condenser. Are you familiar with the Zoom iQ6 and iQ7? If so how do they compare?
Old 06-27-2017, 08:48 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Interesting. We talked about this briefly this past weekend while your guitar was getting set up but other things were going on so I couldn't ask more about it. I've been wanting to upgrade to something a bit less clunky (that didn't require adapters for the lightning connection or that I go through the process of importing prerecorded media to my library before importing into iMovie) than my old Zoom H2 and was looking around for attachments for my iPhone. This looks like it would fit the bill but the price seems a bit high for a single condenser. Are you familiar with the Zoom iQ6 and iQ7? If so how do they compare?
I found this shure recorder to be the most simple and effective recording gadget I've ever purchased.

I had a zoom (forget which one) and couldn't ever bond with it.

what i like the most of all about the shure is the direct load into my device while recording - as compared to the recorders with an sd card whose contents have to be transferred over.

the quality of the recording compared to the various apps on the iphone is much better.

Especially I like the app (Motiv) features that make it really really really simple to split a long concert recording into multiple shorter recordings by song.

Huss & Dalton CM
McKnight MacNaught
Breedlove Custom 000
Albert & Mueller S
Martin LXE
Voyage-Air VM04
Eastman AR605CE
Old 06-27-2017, 08:59 AM
Music soothes the soul!

Quote:
http://www.shure.com/americas/motiv/mv88

Quote:
The Zoom iQ6 works very well. Only thing I don't like about it is the difficulty in getting it pointed in the same direction as the higher quality camera (out the back). The iQ7 is difficult to get perfectly adjusted for mic sensitivity. Lots of experimentation required and sometimes you just want to point and go.

The Shure MV88 looks to be very straight forward in terms of directionality. Only question that would remain for me would be audio quality. But the samples sound pretty darn good!
Old 06-27-2017, 09:44 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cigarfan View Post
The Zoom iQ6 works very well. Only thing I don't like about it is the difficulty in getting it pointed in the same direction as the higher quality camera (out the back). The iQ7 is difficult to get perfectly adjusted for mic sensitivity. Lots of experimentation required and sometimes you just want to point and go.

The Shure MV88 looks to be very straight forward in terms of directionality. Only question that would remain for me would be audio quality. But the samples sound pretty darn good!
the app that comes with it has directional options and friendly suggestions for which to choose for each scenario.

while i am only comparing it to the built in iphone recorders, still I"ve been really pleased with the quality of recordings. i've used it at home in the living room for practice recordings, and in large rooms with jams, and in 100 seat concert venues.

the single negative I can find is that it won't work with an otterbox case on the phone. Or any of the cases, actually, now that i think of it, on any device I do have to remove the case in order to plug in the lightning connector.

it's not a deal breaker. plus I felt the price point was friendly enough that if it didn't work out, i'd not kill my retirement plans.

Huss & Dalton CM
McKnight MacNaught
Breedlove Custom 000
Albert & Mueller S
Martin LXE
Voyage-Air VM04
Eastman AR605CE
Old 07-05-2017, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary View Post
Thanks, Mary. I wanted to publicly thank you for your hospitality and your friendship. Sometimes I feel like I'm being gluttonous though. I'm happy that you got a chance to sit down and I was glad that your mom made it. My impression is that everybody who came this year left happy. I admit that I feel like it goes by too fast and I feel a little sad driving home, but OTOH I can't wait for next year.
Old 07-05-2017, 08:40 AM
AGF Sponsor

Next year will go at a much slower pace, but all who attends will have bench time with Tim available to them. He is the main character in this story so I know how valuable it is to have a few moments of shop talk with him.

Because we were so pack with activities this year on Saturday your bench time was delayed, but Sunday morning fellowship time with you was an added blessing as much for us as for you. You are no burden. Don't ever let your heart think like that.

I think circle time went over real well. I find I lack quality time to talk with each attendee, but I am thankful y'all fill out the papers so I know who to be in touch with to ask suggestions throughout the winter months. The faithful attendees become my silent majority behind the scenes. Rodger and Kathy get hammered with last minute details.

With this being the McJam #10 Tim and I worked for a few months to be sure each attendee left with a little something special besides a van load of beach balls. That can't always happen, but it gives me food for thought for #20. I'm counting on all of us to be there for that event so keep eating healthy!

I hope to see more talented "players" will learn Coldshot's clean cut version of Mary had a little lamb. I listened as Dennis played it!

What seems strange to me is that I am still on a head high from the McJam and some how July 4th has just scurried past. The time has flown by so I am sure the year will fly by as well and the next McJam is right around the corner. In that mind set, Neil, I can confidently say, "We will see you soon!"

[email protected]
Old 07-05-2017, 09:46 AM

To be fair, I had family commitments that prevented me from arriving as early as I'd hoped on Saturday but Tim made up for it on Sunday morning. In fact, he more than made up for it. I was expecting an advisement but Tim is more "hands on" regarding such things, something that is lacking in the current "professional" environment IMO which is what caused my delay; you and Tim and don't make me "hurry up and wait." I think the food situation went much better than in years past, but you had less help too. Weather on Friday also played a factor.

As for next year, I'd love to hear your plans and maybe even offer up some input if you'd like. If I may be so bold though, I missed the old raffle format on Saturday afternoons (things actually seemed to be better organized and allowed us to interact with you a bit more, Mary.)

I also missed the McKnight airplane races. I know they aren't inexpensive to produce, but I know that balsa can be cheap and it'd be a good woodworking exercise for some - if you trust us with X-Acto knives that is! I'd keep them away from the beach balls though; things got a little "high impact" this year!

In the meantime, I want to go on the record that Tim continues to amaze me with his demonstrative techniques. While we didn't get to see a sound port installed this year he did get a little "impactful" showing how sturdy his guitars are. I think it's safe to say that double sides are "impact resistant" to some extent. That should be a big selling point IMO; at least three of my guitars would not have fared as well under such conditions!

Looking forward though, I am counting the days to the next McJam and can't wait to see what you guys have done in preparation! As for #20, time sure does fly. I'll have to switch from waffles to egg whites and beans and rice for breakfast! Doctor's orders!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Events and New Releases