The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 01-06-2017, 01:21 AM

I am so sorry to hear this. Here's hoping the treatment is successful with a minimum of discomfort!!!

Playing guitar badly since 1964.

Some Taylor guitars.
Three Kala ukuleles (one on tour with the Box Tops).
A 1937 A-style mandolin.

Last edited by Kerbie; 01-07-2017 at 08:45 AM. Reason: Language
Old 01-06-2017, 03:34 AM

Life, it's just one dang thing after another, right? It's all been said already, but I am sorry that you have to deal with this now, Andy, especially as you say, at start of the year. I know this to be a very treatable cancer and before you know it, most likely in much less than a year's time, you will be shut of it and back to normal, whatever that is for you and your wife.
Your treatment shouldn't affect your guitar playing, and I hope you'll continue to contribute here. Your posts and comments are always enjoyed.
Martin 00L-17
Voyage Air OM04
Breedlove Oregon Concert
1975 Aria 9422
Old 01-06-2017, 03:52 AM
Charter Member

They won't leave me alone !

They just rang at about 9.15 and want me in tomorrow (Saturday afternoon?) for a CT Scan.

Already have to go in on Monday for a pre-op assessment.

Whilst they haven't confirmed yet they think I''ll have biopsies of my throat under anesthetic on the 16th. I have a three/four hour rehearsal on the 17th, and a full concert (2 x 40 minutes) on the 18th! - I've waited five years for a booking at that place !
Old 01-06-2017, 05:56 AM

My very best wishes for a speedy recovery to you. I'm sure you'll be ok to perform after he biopsy.

On the upside... this seems a good time to be playing the blues.
Old 01-06-2017, 06:16 AM

Man, I hate to hear this. I just lost a good friend to throat cancer. My advice is check with your doc immediately and see if you can get in on one of the immunotherapy treatments along with the regular stuff they do. It seems really promising. My buddy was too weak to get into the trials before they realized the radiation, chemo etc. was not going to save him.... Best wishes on a full recovery.

Taylor 514ce FLTD, Sitka/Tasmanian Blackwood from Ted at LA Guitar Sales
Taylor 618e 1st Edition, Sitka/maple (2015)
Taylor 814ce, Sitka/Rosewood (2014)
Taylor 526ce, all Mahogany (2014)
Baby Taylor, mahogany (2014)
Taylor 210ce (2014) (on consignment)
PRS S2 Custom semi-hollow body
Fender Blacktop Stratocaster
Gibson Les Paul Studio Pro 120th
Gibson SG Classic 120th
Old 01-06-2017, 06:58 AM

I'm sorry to hear that but hope it can roll as well as it is in my surroundings. I hope what's been around me can give you some hope or encouragement.

For me I consider it a nothing now - time past - but but I had malignant skin cancer and have kept ahead of it. Fear is long gone and it's built confidence and courage and optimism mid life when many are set in their ways.

Much more serious is for 1.5 years my wife's had about everything that could go wrong such as more and more discovery of cancer, botched surgery and hospital infection but she's gone on like with equal parts graceful and the biggest baddest, strongest bulldozer ever made. In a world full of complainers she's kept tears hidden. She's done stuff like get past more surgery, cut pain med so she can drive to work, and work.

Two friends aren't doing so well with cancer. One started with throat cancer. I hope your path goes better. My lesson from these guys is how they're going on with smiles, grace and optimism. I met one via mountain biking. Some don't understand how the a leader of the pack is now behind or riding on his own but nothing is stopping him from keeping at life. Recently I saw my other friend in the grocery store at a crowded time when people were hurrying, not so friendly in line. There he was with smiles, taking the high road for the bad behavior of others. He's got all the reason in the world to be unhappy and he's got chronic pain and weakness but all anyone who didn't know him or what's up saw a man being kind, patient and helpful to complainers who relatively speaking probably had no reason to complain. Inspiration.

For your family. This gets scary at times and just downright tiring. I confess to a hard time when the person I report to for work wanted me gone, I'm taking care of 3 kids, and my wife's in the hospital. I took the advice my mom had when my dad died young - put on a smile and get to work.

Above all I hope all turns out well for you but as we are not out of the woods in this family I can for sure say we've had a lesson in have courage, manufacture happiness when you can, and keep it going.

I've developed special respect for some of the caregivers. That can make you feel good. One doctor my wife has only only sees stage 3 and 4 patients with challenging surgery issues. Imagine a job where where around 1/2 or more of your customers will die no matter how hard you try.

Basically good luck, look at the good when you see it, and motor on as best you can. Though my wife has the real problems on occasion give your chief caregiver a break. A few times it's caught up to me and really not been easy.

I don't know about your personal routines but exercise and activity became a really big part of our getting through this. First, my wife building fitness in one case allowed a long surgery to go better. The fitness has helped her go on when surgery, drugs, stress and emotion get you down. There are no doubts that what my wife and friend with throat cancer that's now stage 4 are benefited by fitness. It is not just the strength but what it does to your mind.

Good luck!
Old 01-06-2017, 11:58 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
Whilst they haven't confirmed yet they think I''ll have biopsies of my throat under anesthetic on the 16th. I have a three/four hour rehearsal on the 17th, and a full concert (2 x 40 minutes) on the 18th! - I've waited five years for a booking at that place !

You'll be there, giving it your all
Old 01-06-2017, 12:04 PM

Prayers and best wishes to you and your loved ones. Coincidentally, my father (almost 85 years old) starts radiation treatments for his throat soon.

"May you stay forever young."-Dylan
Old 01-06-2017, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post

They just rang at about 9.15 and want me in tomorrow (Saturday afternoon?) for a CT Scan.
Sooner is better than later! Good to see they are being aggressive.
Old 01-06-2017, 01:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd View Post
[/U]

You'll be there, giving it your all
They rang this morning to confirm the 16th. I told them about my music stuff, they deferred to Thursday (which is really unusual for the NHS) - but at 7.00 - so it won't really be worth my going to bed that night.

I have to say that this hospital (not my local one) is really impressing me.
Old 01-06-2017, 01:40 PM

Just checking in to say best wishe's and good luck and strength to you for the challenge ahead.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 01-06-2017, 01:48 PM

You have lots of fellow pickers praying and rooting for a successful operation and speedy recovery. All that positive mojo goes a long way. Stay positive and you'll kick this thing and be back to playing and singing before you know it.
Old 01-06-2017, 01:56 PM
Charter Member

Hi Andy, just want to add on from my previous well wishes. I don't know how your health system is set up there but with my mother's recent encounter with uterine cancer she was diagnosed at the local doctor and hospital but around here we have the options of a couple really good cancer hospitals. We got her an appointment with no delay at this hospital and her care there was superb and I can say without a doubt the result was much better than if she would have remained with the "normal" hospital and their cancer docs. If this is an option for you, you might want to consider dealing with people that deal with cancer on a daily basis. My suggestion is of course based on my assumption that this other hospital (not the local) isn't a cancer specific hospital.
Old 01-07-2017, 08:12 AM

Only just saw.Sorry to hear this.Sending my best wishes SM
Old 01-07-2017, 09:16 AM
G625 mistral-k

Attitude is everything, so stay positive! Sending positive thoughts your way!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic