The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-28-2017, 04:22 AM

Default Recently got a J-45 that I love and contemplating getting a Hummingbird....questions

First -- I recently made the plunge from electric to a J-45 (couple of months ago) and I love it. When I got the 45 I was torn between that one and a Hummingbird. I can get a good price on a new hummingbird still and I'm trying to figure out if it makes sense to own both. I know the woods are the same, obviously the HB will be louder and it just sounds different to me. I may be able to slip in this purchase under the umbrella of a 20th anniversary wedding gift, so I am tempting on pulling the trigger while that argument still holds water!

Any thoughts on whether there is too much overlap? I always thought I'd have one electric and one acoustic but I love these Gibson acoustics......and again was torn before with the HB.

Thanks!
Mike
Old 06-28-2017, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike CT View Post
First -- I recently made the plunge from electric to a J-45 (couple of months ago) and I love it. When I got the 45 I was torn between that one and a Hummingbird. I can get a good price on a new hummingbird still and I'm trying to figure out if it makes sense to own both. I know the woods are the same, obviously the HB will be louder and it just sounds different to me. I may be able to slip in this purchase under the umbrella of a 20th anniversary wedding gift, so I am tempting on pulling the trigger while that argument still holds water!

Any thoughts on whether there is too much overlap? I always thought I'd have one electric and one acoustic but I love these Gibson acoustics......and again was torn before with the HB.

Thanks!
Mike
Try the Martin D18, there will be a wider contrast between that and your J45. D18 is also spruce/mahoganny, but is full scale ... where the hummingbird is not.
Guild GAD25
Yamaha FG413S / FG200 / FG800
Old 06-28-2017, 10:20 AM
Charter Member

To my ears the two don't sound similar aside from both sounding like Gibsons.

Youtube! Please subscribe!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 06-28-2017, 10:30 AM

Quote:

Thanks!
Mike
I know people that have both and I never thought to second guess. To me, there a noticeable difference in sound and feel even though both have that Gibson woody mahogany tone so many love. I do, anyway, and I have not had the opportunity to own either . . . yet. I am in close proximity and have access to both. I'm glad you're finding inspiration and joy from acoustic guitar. It is just as it should be.
Old 06-28-2017, 10:59 AM
Guest 728

In my view, if there isn't a specific niche that you're trying to fill, you're really just "getting another guitar." There's nothing wrong with that, of course. I just prefer each of my guitars to have a fairly specific purpose, and I'm not sure what base the Hummingbird covers that a J-45 already doesn't.
Old 06-28-2017, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Voltaire View Post
In my view, if there isn't a specific niche that you're trying to fill, you're really just "getting another guitar." There's nothing wrong with that, of course. I just prefer each of my guitars to have a fairly specific purpose, and I'm not sure what base the Hummingbird covers that a J-45 already doesn't.
I guess if I think about it that way it would be something that complements the J-45 in a way that is less dark (which I do love), a little louder, and not too bright or 'twangy'. Something that is just a little less of the J-45 to go with it for songs that might sound better with that sound. The HB seemed to fit that bill from my ear.....plus I love the way that it looks! I'm kind of hooked on the Gibsons.

Mike
Old 06-28-2017, 11:43 AM

For sure they are not the same.
If you like the sound of each, get what you want regardless of the fact they are both Dreads. They are still different Dreads.
Some folks think of "application" and "suited for" with guitars and I'm one of those but I still use my OM and my OO as strummers all the time. I'm not locked into any "application" that deeply.
They are my guitars and I'll use them however I please.
You should get what you like and do the same.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 06-28-2017, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
For sure they are not the same.
If you like the sound of each, get what you want regardless of the fact they are both Dreads. They are still different Dreads.
Some folks think of "application" and "suited for" with guitars and I'm one of those but I still use my OM and my OO as strummers all the time. I'm not locked into any "application" that deeply.
They are my guitars and I'll use them however I please.
You should get what you like and do the same.
Note to self........forward this post to the wife.
Old 06-28-2017, 12:15 PM

Is someone actually asking this forum if it's a good idea to buy another extremely cool guitar? Of course it is.
Old 06-28-2017, 12:18 PM
Charter Member

I own both and like them both a lot. Never thought the two sounded alike.
Old 06-28-2017, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crwheat@sbcglob View Post
I own both and like them both a lot. Never thought the two sounded alike.
That's what I was hoping to hear. I just wanted to make sure that it was just me who felt that way.

Mike
Old 06-28-2017, 07:30 PM
Charter Member

I have owned both and now I own a J-45TV and a Southern Jumbo. I would like to have a H'bird TV, but haven't found one at a price I'm willing to pay.

I would submit that Hummingbirds are complicated. Yes, they are bright, but sort of thin if you just strum or pick. Not especially loud in my opinion, unless you sort of thump them with palm muting, and then they sound huge. Finger picked tone is sort of nondescript. And of course the standard models are different from the vintage repros.

The Bird is not redundant with your 45--it's a different animal. If you like both, go for it.
Old 06-29-2017, 01:05 PM

Pulled the trigger on the one that I was looking at. I'll let you know next week if it still sounds/feels the same now that I'm an owner! I know I don't need it but I love that sound J-45 sound and I want a variation of it too, not something completely different. I think having these two will keep me really happy and wanting to play one just as much as the other for years and years.

I'm really pumped.....and I have long arms to get around the HB body so that's a plus!

Thanks for all of the comments and thoughts. I love this forum.

Mike
Old 06-29-2017, 01:31 PM
Guest 728

Quote:
I love that sound J-45 sound and I want a variation of it too, not something completely different.
This reminds me of me. Whenever I buy a guitar I really love, I have two simultaneous and contradicting thoughts:

1) I want to sell everything else I own, and finally have my one-and-only forever guitar.

2) I want to buy another one just like it, only with different wood, or a different number of frets, or a different finish.

It's like I only want one guitar, but I want two versions of it.

Hope your Hummingbird fulfills your quest!
Old 06-29-2017, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
To my ears the two don't sound similar aside from both sounding like Gibsons.
This is my impression, as well.

Greg Rappleye

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion