The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 05-19-2017, 06:53 AM

Quote:
I think it needs to be lifted right?
The low angle is not ideal, but if you raise the saddle and do nothing else, you can be sure that the guitar will be harder to play. The angle can usually be increased without raising the saddle by cutting string ramps in the bridge.
What you are describing (high action and low saddle) means the guitar may need a neck reset. But it could also mean that the bridge itself is too thick.
Some guitars feel stiffer than others, even though the action, string gauge and scale length are the same. Neck shape, fret height, and the stiffness of the top do have an effect on the feel, but it is minor when compared to the action.
Old 05-19-2017, 12:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koren View Post
Ok thank you very much guys I apreciate it.
I will send it to a pro tech to evaluate it.
Another point I forgot to mention - The angel of the strings coming out the bridge is almost flat like maybe 5-10* max... I think it needs to be lifted right?
Koren,
if you are able to, go with your guitar to the tech who will work on it.
this way, any explanation is easier to understand with all the parts right there in front of you.

also the earlier post about not comparing acoustic to electric playability is a very good one. Electrics seem to almost play themselves while acoustics demand that you pay the price of callous building first.

Huss & Dalton CM
McKnight MacNaught
Breedlove Custom 000
Albert & Mueller S
Martin LXE
Voyage-Air VM04
Eastman AR605CE
Old 05-19-2017, 10:30 PM

Without seeing the guitar, no intelligent assessment can be made. Any qualified person seeing it in the flesh should be able to spot the problem in .5 seconds. Could be a high nut, high saddle, misadjusted neck, etc. String gauge alone will not make a the huge difficulties you describe. If you pay a tech to correct the action, make sure they do it for the way you play, not just a generic setup. Good luck. I just sounds like the setup is way off.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair