The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 05-13-2017, 09:40 AM

I love my old dog. And I didn't even get upset at her. She gets on the couch and turned flat on her back, and then has trouble getting back on her feet. In doing so she has to wollow around until she can get her feet under her. In doing that she pushes the cushion out. The cushion is what pushed the guitar over. I thought the way I posted this would be amusing. Guess not.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
Old 05-13-2017, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricklt View Post
Didn't think people were allowed to insult others on this forum!

Apologies. I was merely pointing out that leaving a guitar out is always risky and doing so with kids and/or pets around raises the odds of something bad happening.
Old 05-13-2017, 01:39 PM

Quote:
I love my old dog. And I didn't even get upset at her. She gets on the couch and turned flat on her back, and then has trouble getting back on her feet. In doing so she has to wollow around until she can get her feet under her. In doing that she pushes the cushion out. The cushion is what pushed the guitar over. I thought the way I posted this would be amusing. Guess not.

Wait - you let your dog on the couch?!?

Just kidding - I understand dogs are part of the family to many. As for leaning the guitar on the couch when you know she does that - well, that's a whole mother pet peeve. I believe you learned your lesson. We're just having fun at your expense because I'm sure more of us have been through this than would care to admit!

By the way, I think may have had the same model once upon a time. I played it hard until one day it fell apart. Then I came here and discovered the concept of GAS. Now I have another Epiphone but it too is unplayable so I'm 0 for 2 and have a nasty addiction. Beware any who tell you to go shopping!

By the way, I am also taking up building as a hobby. For wood glue I use Titebond I.
Old 05-13-2017, 02:10 PM

Was not leaning on the couch. It was on a stand by the couch.

Old 05-13-2017, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Was not leaning on the couch. It was on a stand by the couch.

Oh. Sorry.
Old 05-13-2017, 04:35 PM

No problem. I'm learning so much from this forum. And I am not leaving any more guitars on the stand where they could be knocked over. Appreciate all your input. Thank you all.

Old 05-13-2017, 04:51 PM

I have a book on guitar repair by Dan Erlewine. He says, neck splines should be of the same wood as the neck. I don't have an easy or cheap supply of mahogany around. What do you all recommend?

Old 05-13-2017, 08:10 PM
Guest 1928

I seriously doubt the neck on that guitar is mahogany. It's more likely nato or something similar. IMO splines are far too difficult to execute well, and even in a perfect world not as strong as the back strap method in the link Frank Ford's repair tutorial.
Old 05-13-2017, 08:23 PM

I looked it up on Epiphone's website. According to them it's mahogany. Don't know.

Old 05-13-2017, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Yates View Post
IMO splines are far too difficult to execute well, and even in a perfect world not as strong as the back strap method.
I totally dis-agree, having repaired at a guess hundreds of broken headstocks, the back plate method is not as strong as a splined neck.

Quote:
I have a book on guitar repair by Dan Erlewine. He says, neck splines should be of the same wood as the neck. I don't have an easy or cheap supply of mahogany around. What do you all recommend
Dan, I am sure is a good repairer, but that's dans opinion. I only use hard rock maple for my splines, irrelevant to me what the original neck is made from, I insert maple splines. The only time I would consider using a softer hardwood example mahogany is if the end job was to be invisible, I would consider matching the same woods.

The purpose of any repair is to restore the structural strength that existed there previously, if you are reducing the strength of the repaired area, one must ask why even do the repair.
Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE

Last edited by mirwa; 05-13-2017 at 10:35 PM.
Old 05-14-2017, 08:35 PM
Charter Member

Steve,

I hope I never get to attempt this repair, but I'm curious - would you glue the broken parts together and then cut slots for the splines? (To ensure alignment)
Old 05-14-2017, 09:34 PM

Yes.

I always start the repair by gluing the item back together, full alignment first.

Once aligned, you can pass a router through each side safely, even gluing an end grain break will hold the headstock on well enough to pass a router through it.

Steve

http://www.mirwa.com.au/HTS_Headstock_Spline.html
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 05-14-2017, 09:59 PM

Looked at your Guide on how to spline this. I don't see anything about router bit size or how deep the groove is. In other words dimensions of the spline.

Old 05-14-2017, 10:14 PM

The dimensions of the spline are whatever you want it to be, if you are using a 5/16 router bit, then the spline is 5/16 wide, if the router bit is 1/4 inch then the spline is a quarter inch as well.

I cut it to the depth of the neck, that is the deepest point being it just touches the fretboard.

It is a case of use whatever you have and adjust to suit.

I finished this one this morning, mahogany neck (ovation) and maple splines, customer is okay to see the splines.

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE

Last edited by mirwa; 05-14-2017 at 10:21 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair