The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 05-06-2017, 08:13 PM

Default laminate top repair question

I have a cedar top laminate guitar I picked up, all laminate guitar. I do not see alot of cedar laminate for sale, so I bought it to get to know cedar a little more and I do like the sound of cedar. THe guitar has several surface cracks I was not aware of bought off ebay a few travel about 3/4 length of the top that really can only be seen from a side angle and seem minor in depth. They seem I would guess as mild cracks now. How bad are these as compared to solid wood, the seller is offering a partial refund. DO you need to repair these or just let it go, just wanted to hear your thoughts on repairing this, thx.
Old 05-07-2017, 07:11 AM

Need to see detailed pictures but if it's a laminated top then it's probably just cracks in the finish. If you have cracks in a laminated top then you have serious problems.

Luthiers who build double top guitars claim that the choice of wood has an impact on sound just like a regular guitar but I never really noticed anything in cheap laminated top guitars. I think they just all sound the same-ish. But they certainly look different
Old 05-09-2017, 01:45 PM

I agree with redir that if your guitar is in fact laminate, the cracks are likely finish or surface cracks only, and not of any structural concern.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair