The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 05-06-2017, 11:56 AM

Default Neck to headstock transition

Hello all,

This is my first post here so let me give you a little background before I ask my question. I have a very good friend who took up guitar building as a hobby while he was still working. He then retired, moved away and turned it into a small business making 5 or 6 guitars a year. He has since retired from that and has had a stroke. I pray he makes a complete recovery but the last thing on his or my mind is me asking him for help. About ten years ago he asked me if I had ever considered building a guitar and said he would guide me through it. It's been sitting for about 4 years now but I have now retired and want to finish it.

My question is about the transition between the neck and the headstock. I see most guitars have a raised area that I guess acts as a guide to let you know where your fingers are but also adds some strength. I went on sanding my neck and didn't leave this. Is this going to be problem? I have been trying to upload pictures with no success. Will keep trying.https://www.dropbox.com/s/nvhyt3c0ty...N1871.JPG?dl=0

Last edited by Albert D; 05-06-2017 at 12:15 PM.
Old 05-06-2017, 12:51 PM

Nope, not a problem. Countless factory guitars are made with a smooth transition there. Occasionally the headstocks break off from impacts, but it's more than strong enough for string tension alone. And the back plate you have on there should help protect the weak point, too.
Old 05-06-2017, 01:23 PM
AGF Sponsor

Last edited by Bruce Sexauer; 05-08-2017 at 09:04 PM.
Old 05-06-2017, 02:23 PM

Thanks for the help and posting the picture. I will get some pictures up on photo bucket so I can show you guys the rest of my progress. I tried to get them to post from Drop Box but could not figure it out. I'll keep trying.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair