The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-16-2014, 02:12 PM

Default Yamaha FG-700S Guitar

I just checked and the tobacco burst FS700S is $159.99 on the GC site right now. I wonder how much lower that will get with the sale on Wed.?
Old 09-16-2014, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeguam View Post
I just checked and the tobacco burst FS700S is $159.99 on the GC site right now. I wonder how much lower that will get with the sale on Wed.?
I would bet it will drop to $149.99 in store same as the FG.
Call your GC store. If sales personel cannot tell you ask for the manager. He can.

Let us know what they say.
djh
Old 09-16-2014, 04:21 PM

Default Yamaha FG-700S Guitar

The only thing I would caution is check the neck angle. I have seen a few with neck angle issues including the one I ordered online.
Old 09-16-2014, 04:26 PM

I'm a big fan of Yamaha guitars and I do like the FG-700 a lot but if I were you this is what I would do:

Go to the guitar store and play every guitar they have in your price range.

Literally every single one of them.

If you don't play very well yet, take a friend that with you that does for some help/advice.

Buy the best playing/sounding/feeling guitar to YOU in the store in your price range regardless (more or less) of the name on the headstock.

Ibanez AC240
Yamaha AC1R
Epiphone AJ220S

"It's folk music so.... you can kind of do what you want." - David Hamburger, Blues Genealogy.
Old 09-16-2014, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteD View Post
I am looking at the FS700 S for a friend. Any idea if the sale mentioned starting tomorrow will cover that model also, or just the Dread version? I called my local GC last night and they had no clue about the sale coming up.
Don't know if the price will get any lower but here ya go $159.00

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Yamaha-FS700S-Solid-Top-Concert-Acoustic-Guitar-H87500-i3795304.gc?source=4WWRWXGP&gclid=CKie1ZDo5sACFZTm 7AodGzwAQw&kwid=productads-plaid^85465138122-sku^H87500.003@ADL4GC-adType^PLA-device^c-adid^44639487282
Old 09-16-2014, 07:06 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdutr0 View Post
I'm a big fan of Yamaha guitars and I do like the FG-700 a lot but if I were you this is what I would do:

Go to the guitar store and play every guitar they have in your price range.

Literally every single one of them.

If you don't play very well yet, take a friend that with you that does for some help/advice.

Buy the best playing/sounding/feeling guitar to YOU in the store in your price range regardless (more or less) of the name on the headstock.
That's very good advice, and kinda what I did a couple weeks back. I fell in love with both the LS-6 and the LS-16 immediately. Not sure if GC tweaked them, but the setup was PERFECT. Like buttah. I miss having a smaller hog body in the barn, having to trade in my 00-18 to fund the purchase of vintage HD-28. I'm surrounded by Rosewood dreads. I'll be adding the LS-16 to my stable in the next year or so, unless something else turns my head. I've heard wonderful things about Eastmans for many years and am almost afraid to play one.

I do want something in a burst finish, with mahagony back and sides, with a decent built-in pickup and in a smaller body style.

Yamaha rocks! Congrats!
Old 09-17-2014, 02:29 PM

Default Source for sale price?

I was just wondering what was the source for the FG-700s going on sale. The website still has it at $199. If it was $50 off of that, I'd be over there for sure. I am a beginner and got an Epiphone dr100. I want to see if a different guitar makes practice easier. I'm doing okay, learning chords and notes. But, if this guitar lives up to the glowing reviews and recommendations, then it would be worth it to upgrade and leave the Epi for my kids to strum.
Old 09-17-2014, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennonrp View Post
I was just wondering what was the source for the FG-700s going on sale. The website still has it at $199. If it was $50 off of that, I'd be over there for sure. I am a beginner and got an Epiphone dr100. I want to see if a different guitar makes practice easier. I'm doing okay, learning chords and notes. But, if this guitar lives up to the glowing reviews and recommendations, then it would be worth it to upgrade and leave the Epi for my kids to strum.
Your Epi should be fine for practice if it has had a good set-up and you feel comfortable with it. If not then take a look at the Yammie.It has a solid top which will give you better tone.Your Epi is an all laminate guitar I think. If yes then take a look at the Yammie anyway. You just might like it better or it might feel even more comfortable to play. I am beginning to feel left out and I already have two Yamaha guitars but this thread is making me think I should buy another 700. Had three in the past all good and gave them away to friends and family who fell in love with them. Picked the three up second hand for around $60 each from people who bought them and couldn't find the time to practice. About the safest used guitar out there IMHO. Good luck and enjoy your guitar journey.
D45 Replica in open D
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Telecaster
Marshall AS50D Amp.
Line 6 Amplifi 30
Blackstar HT1R Tube Amp
DigiTech JamMan Stereo Looper Pedal

Last edited by Bunny64; 09-17-2014 at 03:10 PM. Reason: redraft
Old 09-17-2014, 04:34 PM

I realize I can practice on my Epi. maybe it's GAS. You know, if the Yamaha was BETTER... I don't know if my Epi is properly set up. I never had it looked at. It plays okay to me, but I don't know. I have trouble with the same things all beginners have. I don't fret notes properly or chords are hard to reach and press all strings with the appropriate pressure. But, I don't know that a new guitar will solve any of those things since I might just need to practice for longer is all. I practice each day and it's only been about three weeks.

That being the case, all the people saying they LOVE their FG-700s got me thinking that maybe I would love it too and I would like to love my guitar. I like my Epi okay. I got the sunburst finish so it's pretty and everything. It's probably just GAS. Just hearing people say how good it sounds and how great it is to play and how they used it for years and then others saying how bad cheap guitars are... You know?
Old 09-17-2014, 04:57 PM

I hear what you are saying. Basically as a beginner you don't want to have to fight the guitar. Too high an action might deter a beginner because the effort to fret becomes so much harder. I would always advise a beginner to have a guitar that they like the look of. Also that it is comfortable size wise and finally that it is set up to play easily with good intonation. I have an Epi too. The AJ220S. It is beautifully set up and I fitted a bone nut and saddle to improve the tone. It is a really nice guitar to play and sounds great. I think your first upgrade would be to a guitar with a solid wood top not laminate which should give you better tone. In the meantime if you are happy with it continue with your DR100 because those bouts of GAS will surely return at some stage HaHa.
D45 Replica in open D
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Telecaster
Marshall AS50D Amp.
Line 6 Amplifi 30
Blackstar HT1R Tube Amp
DigiTech JamMan Stereo Looper Pedal
Old 09-17-2014, 05:05 PM

Cool

Quote:
I realize I can practice on my Epi. maybe it's GAS. You know, if the Yamaha was BETTER...
No maybe about it- it's GAS, dude! That's how it works- people rave about a certain guitar- you go try it, and it is really nice, and why not?

Most of us have been there many times.

All that being said, you might also think about a FG730S. I have one and love it!
Martin DX1ae
Fender CD 60SCE-12
Old 09-17-2014, 07:10 PM

Angry

HEADS UP!
If anyone is near the Naperville, Il. GC, there is a new FG700s with a top crack in the lower bout from a shipping accident. They are asking $60.00 for it. The crack wasn't very long and could probably be easily be stabilized. Otherwise, it was clean.
I was in there this afternoon and it plays fine and sounds goods. Needs strings and setup to lower the action slightly. If I didn't own one already it wouldn't be there now.
Old 09-17-2014, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Call your local Guitar Center. They went on sale today for $149.99.

djh
Old 09-17-2014, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chomper76 View Post
The only thing I would caution is check the neck angle. I have seen a few with neck angle issues including the one I ordered online.
What gave away the neck angle issues? Did you check with a straightedge from the fretboard to the top of the bridge method? Thanks!
Old 09-17-2014, 09:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djh1765 View Post
Call your local Guitar Center. They went on sale today for $149.99.

djh
Must be a lot of inconsistency between stores. I called two different stores today and was told there was no sale, just a financing deal. I wonder if it is regional, based on how much stock in the local DC's they might have. Or, perhaps the word is not fully out to every location. I'll keep checking.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion