The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 12-16-2011, 01:12 AM

Default Bois-de-Rose (dalbergia maritima)?

Any Luthiers on AGF ever used this wood?

If so what are your comments and experience with it from a tonal perspective?

Does anyone have any available as a B&S set for a custom build?

Last edited by racman; 12-16-2011 at 04:13 AM.
Old 12-16-2011, 01:16 AM

Roy,
its Bois-de-Rose. A rosewood from Madagascar. Sometimes called Madagascar Rosewood (but not same as Dalbergia Bararoni)
In my opinion just as good as your typical Madrose but a little less figured for most part.
I do happen to have some off course....
www.cornerstoneguitar.com

Ukuleles...
www.cornerstoneukes.com
Old 12-16-2011, 04:14 AM

Thanks Peter - the title is corrected on the thread but not in the main title on the thread index pages - HELP Moderators!!

I have seen some stunning pieces but also heard that it's in rather short supply as well.

Last edited by racman; 12-16-2011 at 04:44 AM.
Old 12-16-2011, 07:12 AM

I have used it a few times for bridges, FB's and bindings. I really like it for bridges, all of the pieces I have used have had just what I want in terms of quickness of sound and density. I find it oilier than the more brazilian looking madagascar rosewood and heavier, but not by much.

Like Padauk, when freshly cut it is a completely different color than when it oxidizes. Originally it is a very bright magenta and then (for the pieces I prefer anyway) it darkens quickly until it looks almost black with reddish highlights. I think of it as the color of old grimy regular rosewood FB's, and I like that a lot.

I do have some spiderwebbed boards that could be converted to some very nice 4 pc. back and side sets, although if never asked to I would probably end up using them all for FB's and bridges. It does seem to be rare although usually available if you look hard enough. As with all woods from Madagascar (the only place it grows as far as I know) there is questions as to how it came to be lumber that are hard, if not impossible, to answer.

All in all, a great wood! And it has a cool name. What piqued your interest in it?
Old 12-16-2011, 07:33 AM

What piqued my interest?

Actually the fact that it is a rosewood and different I suppose. The pieces (or pictures) I've seen have a beautifull magenta colour, but I didn't know that the colour darkens so much.

I recall seeing a set on Simon Fay's website a while ago which looked great - I think that is the first time I noticed this wood, but it is no longer there.
Old 12-16-2011, 08:15 AM
AGF Sponsor

I have used it for FB & bridges but have never seen any guitar sized sets that were 100% quartered. When freshly milled it is dark purple but oxidizes to almost a dark reddish black color over time.
Old 12-16-2011, 08:20 AM

Thanks Tim, I've also seen some pieces of Camatilo Rosewood that also appear to have a slight magenta hue to them but not as much as BdR ...
Old 12-16-2011, 12:01 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by racman View Post
Thanks Tim, I've also seen some pieces of Camatilo Rosewood that also appear to have a slight magenta hue to them but not as much as BdR ...
Same goes for Camatilo, rarely are they QS sets either therefore I don't purchase them for inventory. I figure why spend months of my life building with risky [cuts of] wood. Life is just too short to fret over it. Others may have differing opinions ...
Old 12-16-2011, 02:41 PM

Ditto what Tim says.
Tom
Old 12-16-2011, 02:53 PM

As Tim mentioned, most of the lumber comes from small diameter logs. The set I had on my website was chosen by a customer for his upcoming build (my next batch actually). That particular set was mostly quartersawn across the width of the back and tending towards flatsawn on the last couple inches of the lower bout. I think Bois de Rose is one of the most beautiful woods available and it has a wonderful taptone -- but is exceedingly rare in musical instrument grade quality.

Last edited by Simon Fay; 12-16-2011 at 03:12 PM.
Old 12-16-2011, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim McKnight View Post
Life is just too short to fret over it. Others may have differing opinions ...
Or not "fret" over as the case may be LOL
Old 12-17-2011, 01:21 PM

I haven't heard a guitar made out of it, but I'm using it for the fingerboard on my current work in progress and I can tell you one thing- it smells positively delicious. Like flowers and honey with a hint of cinnamon. I thought the addicting scent of Brazilian was unmatched, but this stuff gives it a run for its money. I'm going to save all my shavings and make scent pouches to put in guitar cases and such.

I calculated the density of a couple fingerboards and it came out closer to cocobolo and Honduran rosewood than Madagascar rosewood (D.Baroni), but still lighter than ebony, and a lot lighter than African blackwood. And it oxidizes to mostly black, so it seems quite well suited to fingerboards and bridges. Tap tone seems to be somewhere between Baroni and blackwood as well.

I am also a fan of camatillo rosewood. It's a less intense purple than fresh cut bois de rose (sometimes not purple at all), but seems to remain more purple than bois de rose or purpleheart, making it great for inlays and bindings and such.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop