The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-20-2017, 11:51 AM

Even the "Not loud" types of old fashioned music was played and sung unamplified. Thats part of the skill - learning how to project without shouting or yelling... Learning how to play loud without being "rowdy".... Thats part of the control....

Think acoustic church music... Hardly ever "Raucous" or even what you may call "loud" music... But they have to play and sing loud to be heard over the crowd.... Thats just part of live performance.... Its a WAY louder than what you would do in the house.
Old 09-20-2017, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckjohn View Post
Even the "Not loud" types of old fashioned music was played and sung unamplified. Thats part of the skill - learning how to project without shouting or yelling... Learning how to play loud without being "rowdy".... Thats part of the control....

Think acoustic church music... Hardly ever "Raucous" or even what you may call "loud" music... But they have to play and sing loud to be heard over the crowd.... Thats just part of live performance.... Its a WAY louder than what you would do in the house.
There's no crowd noise in church at least none of the ones I have played in. In a typical one the sound bounces off the cavernous spaces.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 09-20-2017, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evenkeel View Post
I grew up in seacoast, NH and lived in Portsmouth. Currently a resident of Annapolis. Here in Annapolis I see buskers on Main St. and on Dock St. both with and w/o amplification. If you do use something small, a'la a street cube and you get push back you can just unplug.

FWIW I have a street cube. You're welcome to borrow it and give it atey.
Hi Neighbor, I grew up across the bridge from you in Maine, now in Annapolis.
My roland is pretty small and runs on batteries. Thanks for the offer. maybe see you downtown one of these days. Ill be the one with the Carbon Fiber Guitar.
Old 09-20-2017, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
"you will not be able to effectively sing over the top of it".

Huh? I think that depends on who you are talking about.
The louder you sing the less expressive you get and the performance suffers (and so will the tips). I still think it's better to just go someplace quiet but with lots of foot traffic.

Of course I'm assuming he sings, if not, then he should just bring the loudest guitar possible and set up anywhere he likes.

2008 Martin SWDGT
2003 Larrivée D-03R
2016 Ibanez AVD10
2016 Ibanez AW4000
2001 Liberty LIB100 Resonator
Old 09-21-2017, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmckean44 View Post
The louder you sing the less expressive you get and the performance suffers (and so will the tips). I still think it's better to just go someplace quiet but with lots of foot traffic.

Of course I'm assuming he sings, if not, then he should just bring the loudest guitar possible and set up anywhere he likes.
Yes, I sing and am used to using a mic. I would not consider my voice powerful, nor the songs i choose to sing effective if sung loudly to overcome noise. Still, worth a try just for the experience, and I always learn something that helps me. I am also going to see if maybe there are a couple of Farmers markets to try.
Old 09-21-2017, 08:23 AM

Acoustic only is a tough way to go. I see a few street guys doing it and they essentially disappear into the wall if there is any street traffic at all. The exceptions are guys/gals who belt it out and usually have some type of resonator guitar or play heavy chop chords. No room for nuance. Most buskers around here are using small amps. They are not loud so much as audible.

I have played acoustic only in foot traffic only garden type parks and you can have a small presence, retain a little nuance in your playing and still draw. But even then, much foot traffic and the people noise can quickly overwhelm.

I think the acoustic only limitation is an unfortunate restriction. Quality street players actually add value when the location is right but not if they can't be heard. Good luck.

hunter
Old 09-21-2017, 09:24 AM
Charter Member

You have to look at it from the police chief's point of view: he does not want his officers to be put in the position of making a decision about what is TOO loud. It's not their area of expertise and having them all walking around with db meters and measuring tapes is ludicrous and a waste of man power. It's the rule....abide by it....just that simple.
Old 09-21-2017, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
There's no crowd noise in church at least none of the ones I have played in. In a typical one the sound bounces off the cavernous spaces.
But there's also a lot of cavrnous space to fill up with sound...

The reason I have been harping about "playing loud" is that I have seen buskers as well as unamplified performers who don't understand the dynamic difference between practicing in the living room vs "Performance" outdoors to a crowd or even in a theater. And its not a pretty sight.

You aren't playing for yourself and the dog in the bedroom.... You are now playing for the audience "Out there"... And since you want to attract their attention - you have to play so they can hear you...

One poor kid I remember at a highschool theatrical production.. He was one of the main characters in the play - and there was a scene where he plays guitar and sings for his "girlfriend"... He was playing it and singing like he was sitting in his bedroom - and nobody in the crowd could hear it.... He had a good voice and was playing/singing well.... And nobody could hear anything besids *frunk frunk mumble mumble frunk frunk". Not a successful scene....

But enough about this... Get out there and try it out!
Old 09-21-2017, 10:17 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewG View Post
Find a doorway, an inside corner, a covered area. Anywhere that will help an essentially quiet instrument reflect sound.
This^^ is great advice. One trick I used to use was to pick an abandoned storefront that had a recessed door and a lot of glass pointing out to the street. If you can find one of these, back into it about 1/3 of the way and the storefront will naturally amplify things for you. Look for something similar to this.

'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 09-21-2017, 10:19 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmckean44 View Post
The louder you sing the less expressive you get and the performance suffers ....
I recall something from my past that there is a quality difference between being loud (low quality) and being able to project your voice in the direction of the audience (higher quality).

Has anyone taken voice lessons and had this aspect covered in classes?

Huss & Dalton CM
McKnight MacNaught
Breedlove Custom 000
Albert & Mueller S
Martin LXE
Voyage-Air VM04
Eastman AR605CE
Old 09-21-2017, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick's Goat Whiskey Picks View Post
This^^ is great advice. One trick I used to use was to pick an abandoned storefront that had a recessed door and a lot of glass pointing out to the street. If you can find one of these, back into it about 1/3 of the way and the storefront will naturally amplify things for you. Look for something similar to this.

WOW. there just so happens to be an empty store front that looks exactly like this on the main street. Maybe worth a try.
I was kinda hoping to be close to the waterfront area, which is pretty wide open, with a lot of foot traffic. But this is a good suggestion.
Old 09-22-2017, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip Ellis View Post
You have to look at it from the police chief's point of view: he does not want his officers to be put in the position of making a decision about what is TOO loud. It's not their area of expertise and having them all walking around with db meters and measuring tapes is ludicrous and a waste of man power. It's the rule....abide by it....just that simple.
I understand. As an alternate POV, I also understand that an "amendment from the Police Chief" may not necessarily be law. Of course, it probably means someone using amplification will be tested and maybe arrested by law enforcement.

A friend of mine is a litigator who also engages causes, has represented "career street musicians" and has been an influence on the city in terms of strategies to regulate street musician access/licensing etc.

For a casual street player, legal resolution would almost never be worth it. But I would say that if city ordinances do not restrict the use of amplification, a Police Chief amendment to a permit might not pass a legal test. I have to believe that there has been complaint history and rather deal with complaint resolution, the Chief may have taken things in hand to keep his problems down. If the city laws give the Chief that kind of discretion, so be it. But in most cases, not likely. But it might be costly to test that authority. Again, for the casual street player? Probably never worth the cost.

hunter
Old 09-22-2017, 03:19 PM

If you want to get any money, or even just an audience you'll need to be in a high foot-traffic area. Unamplified guitar doesn't carry far outdoors on a busy street, so people wouldn't hear and be attracted.
Old 09-22-2017, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyAxe View Post
If you want to get any money, or even just an audience you'll need to be in a high foot-traffic area. Unamplified guitar doesn't carry far outdoors on a busy street, so people wouldn't hear and be attracted.
Solid truth here. This past week end at a street fair there were three guys, one guitar and one percussion, all singing un amped and right there on the street were difficult to hear. Playing outside is a whole 'nuther matter than indoors with four walls and a ceiling to bounce the sound off of.
Old 09-22-2017, 06:19 PM

Default Restrictions ON Busking Amplification

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmsstrider View Post
Well I applied for and got a "Soliciting Certificate" from my town for the purpose of trying my hand at busking. I was all excited to pick it up and give it a go. I was going to use my battery powered Roland AC-33 amp and a mic. Then I read the certificate. Amendment from Police Chief " Absolutely No Amplified Music". Oh well, I'll give it a try anyway. Anyone successfully busk without a small amp? or is it the norm not to be amplified?
The restrictions on Busking have reached the courts since 1970 and earlier this is one listed in Wikepedia :

[ 1970 : In the late 1920s and early 1930s, busking had grown to be quite a controversial enterprise in New York. The country was in the midst of a horrible economic depression and many people had turned to busking as a source of income. Buskers were everywhere and fights over pitches were alarmingly common between the buskers themselves and the buskers, merchants, and vendors. Out of frustration over the complaining, fighting, and violence, Mayor Fiorello La Guardia had banned busking in New York on the grounds of safety issues regarding the escalating conflicts. Busking went on, but on a much smaller scale. If anybody complained about a busker, at their discretion, the police could order the busker to move on or could even arrest him or her. In 1970 poet Allen Ginsberg challenged the constitutionality of this ban. The ban was lifted in 1970 after being found to be unconstitutional by Mayor John V. Lindsay. ]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Busking_(U.S._case_law)

New York :

http://blog.sonicbids.com/taking-it-...busking-basics

The above applies to USA the one below is in the UK :

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014/sep/23/bath-buskers-fight-threat-ban-amplified-musicabbey

Melbourne Australia :

https://www.melbourne.vic.gov.au/Sit...lines-2011.pdf

Granville Island Canada :

http://www.granvilleislandbuskers.com/restrictions/

World Wide Busking Info :

http://www.worldbusk.org/tips.html

¡Know your rights !

EZ :

HR
Life has always been interesting to me

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion