The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 03-06-2014, 05:15 PM

Default Help? "Starter" resonator

Hi, I'm looking to get a budget model steel body reso. I'll plan on putting it in open E or D, and play delta blues/slide blues.

Can y'all offer some recommendations? As I'm just venturing into the waters, cheaper is better, and used is always a plus. Thanks!

Last edited by bozz_2006; 03-06-2014 at 09:57 PM.
Old 03-06-2014, 05:48 PM

There's not a lot of steel body resonators out there, the National Delphi is the only one I know of currently in production. Most of the metal bodies are brass.
edit: The Delphi seems to be out of production, check out the National website:
http://www.nationalguitars.com/home.html
et al

Last edited by Rodger Knox; 03-06-2014 at 05:55 PM.
Old 03-06-2014, 06:13 PM

You're sure you want steel? Brass in more versatile and easier on the ear. I've played delta slide on an old National Style O for close to 30 years. I tried a prewar Duolian, but I didn't keep it long, because the sound was too "hard" and uncompromising for my tastes.

That being said, I've played the painted Regal version recently, and thought it was good value:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/folk-...l-rc-2-duolian

You can always upgrade the cone.

I bought a wood-bodied Republic Miniolian. Sounds fantastic for what it is, but it has had structural issues that needed fixing
Old 03-06-2014, 09:57 PM

didn't know steel was so limited (shows how much i know about resonators!)

I'm happy to hear about any non-wood-body models. thanks!
Old 03-07-2014, 01:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bozz_2006 View Post

I'm happy to hear about any non-wood-body models. thanks!
These company offers a good choice:

http://republicguitars.com/

I bought their wood-bodied Miniolian, it sounded great, but the fret dressing was fairly ordinary, and the wood soundwell started falling apart. No big deal for me - I'm a fixer-upper. The metal bodies should be better, but buyer beware.
Old 03-07-2014, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bozz_2006 View Post
I would not stay steel is "limited" at all.

I have a '29 wood bodied Triolian, a '31 steel bodied Triolian, and a '36 brass Style O. The brass guitar is the least exciting of the three for playing slide, in fact it stays permanently in standard tuning as my "non-slide" guitar.

My recommendation is to spend a little more and buy a used National. My experience with the "inexpensive" import resonators is quite poor.
I have a few friends and acquaintances that got taken in by the initial prices, but they didn't factor in new cones, extensive setup work, fret jobs, fingerboard planing, or even factory-fresh guitars that come to the buyer in need of a neck reset! They will never see a return on all the "upgrades" they were required to make in order to have a functional instrument.

If you're patient, you can find a used NRP for around $1000, sometimes even a little less if it is in less than outstanding cosmetic shape.
That's only about $300 less than what Republic advertise their prices at, but you get a made-in-the-USA instrument with quality workmanship. Many of the import resonator guitars I have seen looked like they were built by people who had only seen photographs of resonator guitars, and sounded like caricatures of Nationals.

Last edited by Cone Head; 03-07-2014 at 01:30 PM.
Old 03-07-2014, 03:01 PM

I started with Gretsch resonators. You can get one for under $500 - wood, steel, whatever. They work for a beginner and save you the stress of having to "save up" for a National, etc.

Are Nationals that much better than Gretsch or Republic/Regal/Recording King/etc?

In a word, YES.

Does a beginner need such a fancy schmancy resonator? Of course not.

It's up to you to decide how much to invest in this experiment...
A few Telecasters
Old 03-07-2014, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sesop View Post
I started with Gretsch resonators. You can get one for under $500 - wood, steel, whatever. They work for a beginner and save you the stress of having to "save up" for a National, etc.

Are Nationals that much better than Gretsch or Republic/Regal/Recording King/etc?

In a word, YES.

Does a beginner need such a fancy schmancy resonator? Of course not.

It's up to you to decide how much to invest in this experiment...
I think in wood-bodied resos there is good reason to buy expensive, because there is a lot to go wrong in cheapos - witness my Miniolian - and they often sound clunky. However, a metal body is just that, a metal box, and I don't think there is much margin to get it wrong. Necks are potentially an issue. However, as the owner of a National Estalita, I am not impressed with National necks, they are clubby and the neck angle is IMO too low.
Old 03-07-2014, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Done View Post
the neck angle is IMO too low.
Actually, NRP sets their necks at a steeper angle than vintage National guitars.
Old 03-07-2014, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cone Head View Post
Actually, NRP sets their necks at a steeper angle than vintage National guitars.
The two NRPs I've played both had low neck angles by my standards. My Estralita has an action height of 2.5mm, and to get it any lower would have to modify the biscuit so that it didn't catch on the strings at the rear, and understring the tailpiece. The other was a 14-fret Style O, I didn't measure it, but it was worse than my Estralita.

I actually raised the neck angle on my old style O to compensate for some neck bow.
Old 03-07-2014, 09:37 PM
Guest 2143

I think getting people's opinions on the sound of steel bodied resonators v. brass ones is like asking which is better, vanilla or chocolate ice cream. Only you can decide which sounds/tastes best to you. I like steel single cones the best, and like the way Nationals play, sound, and hold their values compared to other brands I have owned and played. But again, what matters is what you like. I suggest trying to play as many as you can and decide which one sounds best and plays best for you. Hope this helps.
Old 03-07-2014, 10:50 PM

It's the "playing as many as I can get my hands on" that's the issue. Oh and money.
Old 03-08-2014, 09:48 AM

Been playing a Gretch Boxcar for a year ,lots of fun for less than $300.
I'm also in the search for a metal reso...thinking tricone.
Anyone have any experience with Hot Rod Steel Resos?
http://www.hotrodsteel.com/
http://www.hotrodsteel.com/collectio...cone-12-string^ 6 string not a 12 string as link titled
Not many used NRPs In my neck of the woods, if there is one usually its in the 2K range. Not sure I can justify buying the Caddilac when a Chevy would do.
Old 03-08-2014, 11:27 AM

I'd like to add Matt Eich's steel-bodied single cone resonators to the discussion. Until recently they were $1400, now I believe $1600, but still fill the price gap between the < $1000 options and the Nationals.

I spec'd slothead, ebony board w/ no markers, and a National cone (Beards are also available). It sounds wonderful, and Matt is a great guy to work with. Several other AGF members have a Mule, including J.R.

Mules are found here: http://muleresonators.wordpress.com/
Old 03-10-2014, 05:25 PM
Guest 2143

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misty44 View Post
I'd like to add Matt Eich's steel-bodied single cone resonators to the discussion. Until recently they were $1400, now I believe $1600, but still fill the price gap between the < $1000 options and the Nationals.

I spec'd slothead, ebony board w/ no markers, and a National cone (Beards are also available). It sounds wonderful, and Matt is a great guy to work with. Several other AGF members have a Mule, including J.R.

Mules are found here: http://muleresonators.wordpress.com/
My Vintage Steel National Delphi cost me $1200 used in mint condition and I could probably sell it for more than that now. Used Nationals are worth considering if you can afford one.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments