The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 08-28-2010, 03:02 AM

Default B-Band AST Re-Installation

I have a B-Band A2 with an AST that I pulled out of a guitar that I want to install in a different guitar. Anybody have any ideas on what type of adhesive to use? I have some 3M General Trim Adhesive. Will that work or is there something better? Thanks for any info!
Old 08-28-2010, 08:34 PM

I wouldn't use any thick or foam double sided adhesive. One good double sided tape that I've found doesn't inhibit acoustic tone is that "Duck" brand tape Wal-Mart and other retailers sell to attach plastic sheets to windows for weatherproofing. It's inexpensive, very thin, comes in a decent-sized roll and seems to hold pickups well (I used to use it in the shop to temporarily attach pickups while testing). I currently have two soundboard sensors attached with this tape and they've not moved for two years. Just make sure the underside of the soundboard is free from dust.

Hope this helps, Bill.
Old 08-28-2010, 09:19 PM

Email B-Band and see if they will send you a few new strips. They did for me awhile back.....no charge.
Old 08-29-2010, 01:56 PM

Thanks for the suggestions!
Old 08-29-2010, 02:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTF View Post
I wouldn't use any thick or foam double sided adhesive. One good double sided tape that I've found doesn't inhibit acoustic tone is that "Duck" brand tape Wal-Mart and other retailers sell to attach plastic sheets to windows for weatherproofing. It's inexpensive, very thin, comes in a decent-sized roll and seems to hold pickups well (I used to use it in the shop to temporarily attach pickups while testing). I currently have two soundboard sensors attached with this tape and they've not moved for two years. Just make sure the underside of the soundboard is free from dust.

Hope this helps, Bill.
Hi Bill,

Is this the one? It also comes in a 24' single roll.

Regards,

SpruceTop
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2

Last edited by SpruceTop; 08-30-2010 at 02:57 AM.
Old 08-29-2010, 06:05 PM

I'm not sure of what you have, Sprucetop, without a picture. This tape is about 3/8" wide, clear and is thin as masking tape. It doesn't seem to impair acoustic tone of the pickup as much as a foam-based tape does. It's fairly inexpensive (about 2.50 USD, maybe less). It's marked "Duck" brand, though other stores like home improvement centers may carry different brands. It's designed to be placed around an opening, the back removed and plastic sheeting applied.

I used it in our service center as a temporary adhesive so that I wouldn't use up the adhesives supplied by the manufacturer. Some USTs are deucedly difficult to find the sweet spot and the tape would wear out after a few on and offs. On my guitar, 2 levels of tape seemed to work best. Like I said, mine have been holding up two USTs for two years with no sign of loosening. If nothing else, it's an inexpensive way to test positions without using up your manufacturer-supplied adhesive.

Hope this helps! Let me know if you have further questions. Bill.
Old 08-30-2010, 12:08 AM

So I did an online search to find the tape you recommend and I found this:

http://www.findtape.com/shop/results...=1420&height=0

A website dedicated to tape! Amazing.
What's neat is that they list how thick the tape is, adhesion, type of adhesive and other info about the tape.

This one looks like it would do the job:
http://www.findtape.com/product373/3...ble-Sided+Tape

Last edited by antojado; 08-30-2010 at 12:15 AM.
Old 08-30-2010, 02:58 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTF View Post
I'm not sure of what you have, Sprucetop, without a picture. This tape is about 3/8" wide, clear and is thin as masking tape. It doesn't seem to impair acoustic tone of the pickup as much as a foam-based tape does. It's fairly inexpensive (about 2.50 USD, maybe less). It's marked "Duck" brand, though other stores like home improvement centers may carry different brands. It's designed to be placed around an opening, the back removed and plastic sheeting applied.

I used it in our service center as a temporary adhesive so that I wouldn't use up the adhesives supplied by the manufacturer. Some USTs are deucedly difficult to find the sweet spot and the tape would wear out after a few on and offs. On my guitar, 2 levels of tape seemed to work best. Like I said, mine have been holding up two USTs for two years with no sign of loosening. If nothing else, it's an inexpensive way to test positions without using up your manufacturer-supplied adhesive.

Hope this helps! Let me know if you have further questions. Bill.
Hi Bill,

Here it is.

Regards,

SpruceTop

Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 08-30-2010, 04:28 AM

That's it ST. I've never seen it in a 2-pack. Like I said, it's thin and very acoustically transparent. My biggest complaint is that it only comes in one width. I had best results on my Schallers by putting on two layers of tape, but I'd try one layer first on a light pickup.

Sorry to put you to the trouble of the picture, but there are so many kinds of tapes. Hope the "Duck" works for you!

Regards, Bill.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification