The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 08-27-2010, 04:57 PM

Default Fingerpicking w/Baggs Anthem, Videos

The song accompaniment for this one really puts the Anthem to the old quack test - rapid and forceful fingerpicking and strumming w/steel fingerpicks and plastic thumbpick. (This is now the high definition version which I finally managed to upload 8/28/2010):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyDV6YbXyRo

This song accompaniment features slow fingerpicking with steel fingerpicks and plastic thumbpick. (I've now upgraded this one to the high def version as of 8/29/2010):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2EgEYvBS5VI

I'm also using my Harmony-G pedal with the above-linked video. Its a relief to note that the Anthem SL works well with the Harmony-G (which keys off the guitar signal).

This song accompaniment features bare-fingered picking. (I upgraded this one to the high definition version on 8/30/2010):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qr4JnB6S56s

I converted all these videos to mpeg2 because the high def uploads failed twice. I'll try again with the high def, however, and post the link(s) if I have any success. (All these videos have been upgraded to a high definition version as of 8/30/2010.)

The audio is all recorded direct from mixer, so its a dry guitar sound. Nevertheless, I like it.

I've had one inquiry about compression, and I do believe that my Kodak Zi8 video camera, which is designed to be an idiot-proof general consumer device, is compressing the signal to some degree.

Gary

PS Oops, I should mention that the last two vids are from a Tuesday gig, four days after I installed the Anthem. The first vid is from the Saturday gig where the previous two vids (in my initial Anthem vid thread) were recorded. The signal chain was a bit different on Tuesday as everything went to the mixer first. On Saturday, I went from my SoloAmp's monitor out jack to the mixer.

Last edited by guitaniac; 08-30-2010 at 07:02 AM. Reason: Finished replacing al these links with links to w/high def versions.
Old 08-30-2010, 10:54 AM
Charter Member

Gary,
Thanks for all the effort you put into this, I really appreciate it.

This is in no way meant as a criticism of your performance. But, I must ask you if you are happy with the sound these videos represent?

Personally, it is not the sound I am looking for. To my ear, it simply sounds nothing like the natural sound of an unplugged acoustic guitar. Rather, it sound comressed with little definition of strings and devoid of any of the nuances, I hear when I play my acoustics.

Understanding that I do not have the Taylor guitar you are playing, I have no way to know if that is simply how that Taylor sounds unplugged. So, again, I am asking if what I am hearing is the Anthem results, or, does this sound like your guitar to you, only louder.

Thanks again for your efforts in sharing your Anthem results.
LC
Old 08-30-2010, 11:48 AM

Hi LC,

This mahogany/spruce guitar has a rather dull sounding high end. My rosewood/spruce guitars have a more crystalline sounding high end. Here's a recording which I made with my Koday Zi8's onboard mic. There's way too much room ambience for my taste, but I believe you can hear that the guitar sounds pretty woody and dull in this recording also.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnwK4kOXGcM

Gary
Old 08-30-2010, 05:11 PM

just a question

You mentioned that the audio was recorded direct from the board,
but it seems like your vocals are coming through and the guitar hardly sounds like it is being recorded direct from the board.

Could the "compression" you mentioned refer to your camcorder's internal mic?

I own a 414 with anthem (full) installed, and it sure didn't sound like what you had on the video
Old 08-30-2010, 07:50 PM

zhong,

I'm running the guitar signal thru a Fishman Platinum Pro EQ preamp for a bit of a low mid cut (3 or 4db) at 250Hz. The vocal mic is running thru a Harmony-G pedal before going to the mixer. I have a bit of the pedal's combined room/hall reverb on the voice. There are no effects, aside from the EQ adjustment mentioned above, on the guitar.

Its quite possible that my Anthem SL system's UST/mic volume balance (as adjusted with the set screw at the control module) is set differenly than yours.

Regarding the recorder's compression, its my observation that the Zi8 video recorder compresses both the onboard mic signal and the stereo input jack signal. I can hear that (recording either way) with finishing chords which decay slower than they should.

Gary
Old 08-30-2010, 10:03 PM

ah, clearer picture! Thanks!
Anyway, I do also note that the anthem has a higher headroom compared to previous pickups I have use.

Oh yes,
your joy in playing the instrument is infectious...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification