The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 02-04-2024, 10:27 AM
Charter Member

Default Gibson SG Neck reset / prolonged storage

Have SG I’ve not played in over a year, been in case since then with strings on full tension since then , non humified case no humdifier in Room, Hiscox case in closet , non exterior wall. Florida. Wondering given SG build quality of being solid hence the name. Does leaving strings on full tension and no humidifier lead to neck reset issues? Or other problems.
Old 02-04-2024, 02:25 PM
Guitar Gourmet

In my opinion, this would all depend the on the specific conditions, however, a neck reset on a solid-body set-neck electric is a rare thing unless you string it with heavy strings and really abuse it. The very best condition to leave it in if you do store it is strung up at tension.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 02-04-2024, 05:01 PM
Charter Member

Thank you Bob
Old 02-05-2024, 12:46 PM

I would off hand say I don't think you have a worry

If you are using standard gauge of strings (9s 10s, or 11s) and even tuned to pitch, that guitar is built to handle it.

I have two SGs, I don't play them a lot, they are in OHSC

Most of the time, when I pull them out to use them, they are still in tune, or not at all that far out.

is it possible the truss rod will need some attention -- YES that's very likely

but a neck reset? I'd be surprised. Like Bob said, very rare on a solid body electric.

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 02-10-2024, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLGuitar View Post
Have SG I’ve not played in over a year, been in case since then with strings on full tension since then , non humified case no humdifier in Room, Hiscox case in closet , non exterior wall. Florida. Wondering given SG build quality of being solid hence the name. Does leaving strings on full tension and no humidifier lead to neck reset issues? Or other problems.
Are you asking because you are needing a neck reset, or are you just worried about leaving the strings at full tension? If it's the latter, I wouldn't worry about it.
Old 02-10-2024, 02:00 PM

An SG neck has a single rod truss rod. It is a relatively long neck and mahogany is not as stiff as maple, another popular neck wood. I had an SG back in the 70s where the neck twisted. The truss rod merely needs to get shorter when you tighten it and that's the other option.

If you decide to loosen the strings for long term storage, in spite of the good advice above, loosen the truss rod too.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars