The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 08-24-2010, 07:29 PM

Default Fishman SoloAmp users - quick question...

This Friday will be my first gig with the SoloAmp - relatively small bar - 40 to 50 people max. I had been using a standard PA with two JBL PRX 515 speakers and a TC-Helicon VoiceSolo for a monitor.

So, is the recommended setup to have the SoloAmp behind me - maybe off to the side a bit and ditch the monitor or have it up front to the side and keep the VoiceSolo?

TIA...
Old 08-24-2010, 07:42 PM

Yep Dave - I place mine behind and to the side, no monitor, works great.

Best luck, have FUN! Mike
Old 08-24-2010, 07:45 PM
Eric Skye

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeTX View Post
Yep Dave - I place mine behind and to the side, no monitor, works great.

Best luck, have FUN! Mike
Me too.

Then sometimes I'll be sitting right in front of it with it shooting over my head. My body is acting as baffle between the mic for the guitar and the amp. As long as I remember to hit mute before I stand up it's great
Old 08-24-2010, 08:12 PM

Great, thanks guys...
Old 08-24-2010, 08:20 PM

And, sorry - I just realized there are about 20 threads on this already...
Old 08-25-2010, 01:11 PM

Bring the VoiceSolo, just in case. You may not need it, but I found that for 80% of my shows with the SoloAmp it was less fuss for me to just put it off to my side and monitor through a VoiceSolo.

1943 Gibson J-45
Martin Custom Shop 000-28 Authentic Aged 1937
Voyage Air VAOM-4
IBG Epiphone J-200 Aged Antique
Old 08-25-2010, 01:23 PM

I've used mine inside, outside, and the last gig was a restaurant/bar about the same size as your gig. I sit it off to my right side and behind me, and have not needed a monitor, but as the previous poster said, if you want to take your VoiceSolo to be safe, it can't hurt.
Old 08-25-2010, 07:45 PM

I'm joining in with Mike and min7b5, off to the side and behind you. the good thing about ditching a monitor is that you will hear what everyone else hears. I have played with it behind and to my left, behind and to my right AND directly behind me. Never a problem. I never looked back with any buyer's remorse after I ditched my BOSE PAS. No offense to BOSE fans or their gear. My SA just plain works much better for me all around. What a joy to take too! My back loves it.
Good luck.
davidc
Old 08-25-2010, 10:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcopper View Post
I'm joining in with Mike and min7b5, off to the side and behind you. the good thing about ditching a monitor is that you will hear what everyone else hears. I have played with it behind and to my left, behind and to my right AND directly behind me. Never a problem.
davidc
+1. I sit in a corner of a very loud, very small bistro about 10" directly in front of my SA, like Min, with the tripod extended only about 25% which, in the highest pole position, puts it about 6" over my head. This gives me a very small footprint which is great since this place is really tiny.

I have had absolutely no problem with feedback with my K&K equipped guitar. And, I really like hearing exactly what my audience is hearing.
LC
Old 08-26-2010, 03:10 PM

I should clarify- I'm a guitarist and singer. When I've had feedback troubles with the SoloAmp behind me, it's always been with the vocal mic; never an issue with the guitar. If I were playing guitar only, I would feel totally confident without another monitor.

1943 Gibson J-45
Martin Custom Shop 000-28 Authentic Aged 1937
Voyage Air VAOM-4
IBG Epiphone J-200 Aged Antique
Old 08-28-2010, 10:09 AM

The gig went great - no feedback from the mic or the guitar - I was about 6 feet diagonally away from the soloamp. No need for a monitor! I heard everything really well. Setup and breakdown was a breeze...

Love it!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification