The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 08-26-2010, 12:01 AM

Default Acoustic through tube amp

I am thinking about buying a tube amp for my electrics and I have heard from a few people that an acoustic/electric sounds great through these also. I am kind of on the fence on what to do.

Buy an acoustic combo amp

OR

Buy the tube amp and play my acoustics through it.

I want whatever will sound the best for the guitars. I play my A/E's much more then my electric. Thanks for advice.

Epiphone Les Paul Special (all classic Gibson parts)
Frankenstein Ibanez (in the works)
Old 08-26-2010, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diehardcustoms View Post
I am thinking about buying a tube amp for my electrics and I have heard from a few people that an acoustic/electric sounds great through these also. I am kind of on the fence on what to do.

Buy an acoustic combo amp

OR

Buy the tube amp and play my acoustics through it.

I want whatever will sound the best for the guitars. I play my A/E's much more then my electric. Thanks for advice.
It is not so much a question of solid state versus tubes when it comes to amplifying an acoustic guitar. The most important criterion is fidelity. In order for an amplified acoustic guitar to sound something like an unamplified one, an amplifier that is designed with accuracy as the goal is needed. Most guitar amplifiers using tubes are designed for electric guitars and they are unsuited for use with acoustic guitars.

I would argue that since an acoustic guitar amp should have very low distortion, the tube's main virtue of more pleasing even order harmonic distortion is not significant enough to overcome the drawbacks of increased cost and weight. The only acoustic guitar amp using tubes that comes to mind as I type is the Rivera Sedona. (The Sedona is designed for the dual purpose of amplifying both electric and acoustic guitars. It has a tweeter that can be switched off for electric guitar amplification.)
Old 08-26-2010, 03:14 PM

I have a very nice tube amp , a Rivera Clubster 45 that is awesome on electric. Not very good sound on Acoustic and it feedbacks badly if i try to turn it up.
I also have an Ultrasound solid state acoustic amp and it sounds great with my acoustic. The Ultrasound is specifically designed for acoustic guitars and has coaxial speakers and EQ that is ideal for acoustic guitars
Old 08-26-2010, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb Hunter View Post
It is not so much a question of solid state versus tubes when it comes to amplifying an acoustic guitar. The most important criterion is fidelity. In order for an amplified acoustic guitar to sound something like an unamplified one, an amplifier that is designed with accuracy as the goal is needed. Most guitar amplifiers using tubes are designed for electric guitars and they are unsuited for use with acoustic guitars.

I would argue that since an acoustic guitar amp should have very low distortion, the tube's main virtue of more pleasing even order harmonic distortion is not significant enough to overcome the drawbacks of increased cost and weight. The only acoustic guitar amp using tubes that comes to mind as I type is the Rivera Sedona. (The Sedona is designed for the dual purpose of amplifying both electric and acoustic guitars. It has a tweeter that can be switched off for electric guitar amplification.)
+1 on the Rivera Sedona. Check out RiveraTV and click on Sedona. My guy Bryan demos the Sedona for both elec and acoustic. The Sedona is the reference amp at the Taylor shop. Great amp, but $$$$. I'll bet there are some used ones out there. I got my Sedona Lite thru Craigslist.
1905 Steinway 7ft. Grand, Model B (the wife's)
2008 Epi BB King Lucille/Vox AD50VT
I miss my: (purchased new)
1973 Takamine F360S (Martin lawsuit special) and
1977 Takamine F400S 12 string

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification