The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 06-02-2011, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryAllanHall View Post
Teach your drummer to play softer...

I did gigs w/ a SF Deluxe Reverb for years (before retiring it and using a 40-w Peavey), and the rare instance that it wasn't loud enough, I mic'd it through the PA. We're talking the usual sized bar/VFW/wedding/etc.

For that matter, your Peavey'd likely work just fine by following the above solution.

Drummer teaching aid
My drummer is actually just bongos and a high hat and a little bass drum.

Im sure the Peavey would work ok for blues or something but i want 100% clean sound.
2009 Norman B18
2011 Larrivee L-03
Old 06-02-2011, 07:50 PM

There is absolutely no way that a Deluxe Reverb is loud enough - no way.

It's a clean bedroom amp and a nice amp for very very small gigs, but it's not clean when it has to cut through any electrified band. It's supposed to break up - that's what it does. About the only way to improve it is to put a JBL in it, but it's still 22 watts.

I'd say - 50 watts at least and the right 50. Some ideas: any twin reverb will give you head room, volume (85 watts), and 2 x 12" speakers. How about a Fender Vibro King? 60 watts and 3 x 10" - very clean with vibrato. Pro reverb does this, but at 40 watts and 1 x 15 it's on the cusp of guaranteed. If you want big, clean, and the ability to cut through and stay clean in any situation, you must have high wattage. There are many, many amps that can do this for you, but not the Deluxe.
Old 06-02-2011, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landru View Post
There is absolutely no way that a Deluxe Reverb is loud enough - no way.

It's a clean bedroom amp and a nice amp for very very small gigs, but it's not clean when it has to cut through any electrified band. It's supposed to break up - that's what it does. About the only way to improve it is to put a JBL in it, but it's still 22 watts.

I'd say - 50 watts at least and the right 50. Some ideas: any twin reverb will give you head room, volume (85 watts), and 2 x 12" speakers. How about a Fender Vibro King? 60 watts and 3 x 10" - very clean with vibrato. Pro reverb does this, but at 40 watts and 1 x 15 it's on the cusp of guaranteed. If you want big, clean, and the ability to cut through and stay clean in any situation, you must have high wattage. There are many, many amps that can do this for you, but not the Deluxe.
No offense, but I do not agree. First of all to the OP...You mention wanting something completely "clean". There is no such animal. That is the nature of amplification! Once the signal from the guitar pickups hits the V1 (first) preamp tube distortion begins in the form of second order harmonics (I.e. Distortion). From there more and more distortion gets added as the signal works it's way through the preamp and on to the power tubes. No way around it! What guitar players look for is smooth, tapered distortion rather then asymmetrical clipping like what comes from Solid State amps.

The Deluxe Reverb is capable of maintaining a wonderful "clean" sound to quite some volume If you use the guitars volume knob well. You do not need 50 watts to play "clean" in most situations unless your drummer is John Bonham!

Yes, the Deluxe is capable of some GNARLY vintage OD/Distortion, but it does not have to do that!! I often play with a full band using only a 15 watt Princeton Reverb and I can keep it relatively clean sounding all night!!
Old 06-02-2011, 08:19 PM

Maybe I've said this on this thread but don't feel like reading it all again.

I am the original owner of a 1968 Twin Reverb that I installed EVM 12L's in back in the 70's. I can't remember the last time I turned it on. I lift it off the ground every once in a while just to remember why I don't take it anywhere anymore.

I bought a 1969 Princeton Reverb many years ago. I've had a lot of fun with it and was great to take along to Open Jam nights to get "my" sound when I played. There were times that I felt it could use more headroom. I play a '68 335 and like it clean at times and yet like to rip it up at times. I bought a DRRI at one time and took it back within 3 weeks as it didn't seem to do what I wanted. (Don't remember exactly)

Bought a '76 Vibrolux Reverb. Great size and weight. Either I couldn't get used to the 10's (remember a 2-12"s player with the Twin a good part of my life and I had also made a new baffle for the Princeton amd put a 12 in it) and the Vibrolux also broke up a little early when pushed with a rock setting.

Sold the Vibrolux and pretty much gave up for a while. I muat have read something somewhere about a Pro Reverb (maybe on the FDP) and never really heard much about that amp. Glancing on ebay one day I ran across a very clean '69 Pro Reverb (which btw is 40 watts with 2-12's. The newer ones from the 80's sometime had 60 watts and 1-15" and very heavy) I bought it and it was even cleaner in person than the pics. People were calling this amp a "sleeper" as in it is a great amp that not many seem to know about. The same physical size as a Twin with 2-12's yet much lighter with lighter magnet speakers and without the huge transformers of the Twin. A very manageable weight and pretty much my max. "IF" you like Fender clean at a manageable weight that takes pedal well, this is an amp worth checking out.

Just saying............
Old 06-02-2011, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrapin View Post
No offense, but I do not agree. First of all to the OP...You mention wanting something completely "clean". There is no such animal. That is the nature of amplification! Once the signal from the guitar pickups hits the V1 (first) preamp tube distortion begins in the form of second order harmonics (I.e. Distortion). From there more and more distortion gets added as the signal works it's way through the preamp and on to the power tubes. No way around it! What guitar players look for is smooth, tapered distortion rather then asymmetrical clipping like what comes from Solid State amps.

The Deluxe Reverb is capable of maintaining a wonderful "clean" sound to quite some volume If you use the guitars volume knob well. You do not need 50 watts to play "clean" in most situations unless your drummer is John Bonham!

Yes, the Deluxe is capable of some GNARLY vintage OD/Distortion, but it does not have to do that!! I often play with a full band using only a 15 watt Princeton Reverb and I can keep it relatively clean sounding all night!!
No offense but I do not agree. (Sorry but I couldn't resist )
Old 06-02-2011, 08:22 PM

Hi Terrapin;

No offense taken. You say you play full-band gigs with a princeton reverb and keep it relatively clean sounding? That is hard to fathom. I have a 40-watt bassman that can't do that with any band, even without a drummer - and it's in tip-top shape.

Anyway - the debate continues . . . . .
Old 06-02-2011, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landru View Post
Hi Terrapin;

No offense taken. You say you play full-band gigs with a princeton reverb and keep it relatively clean sounding? That is hard to fathom. I have a 40-watt bassman that can't do that with any band, even without a drummer - and it's in tip-top shape.

Anyway - the debate continues . . . . .
It's all about maxing the amps potential and relying heavily on the guitars volume. Listen to Jim Compagliano. He rips it up with a Princeton on 10 and relies on his Tele's volume knob to go from "clean" to GNARLY!!!

It can be done............
Old 06-03-2011, 03:58 AM

Depending on the design, two amplifiers with the same continuous power rating may differ in the amount of headroom they offer. The one with the greater headroom will sound louder before the onset of clipping (distortion). The Bassman amp is known to have very little headroom. If I remember correctly, Leo Fender didn't like that amp because of that but, of course, that characteristic is appreciated by guitarists who want distortion.
Old 06-03-2011, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrapin View Post
It's all about maxing the amps potential and relying heavily on the guitars volume. Listen to Jim Compagliano. He rips it up with a Princeton on 10 and relies on his Tele's volume knob to go from "clean" to GNARLY!!!

It can be done............
Yes it can. That's exactly how I do it.

My two main electric guitars are my 2001 Gibson ES-335 and my '54 Tele.

My main amps are my old Deluxe Reverb with a Celestion G12H30 and my Princeton Reverb with a Celestion G12 Alnico.

I'm getting the best live tone of life.

I've owned Twin Reverbs, Super Reverbs, Vibrolux Reverbs, Pro Reverbs, Marshall 100 watt stacks, Marshall 50 watt watt 1/2 stacks, Marshall 50 watt combo amps, Vox AC30's, etc., etc.

The Princeton Reverb modified for a 12" Celestion and Deluxe Reverb with a 12" Celestion are the two best gigging amps I've ever owned.

Seagull CW w/Baggs M1 pickup...National Vintage Steel Tricone...SWR California Blonde Amp
Old 06-03-2011, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoB/335 View Post
I am the original owner of a 1968 Twin Reverb that I installed EVM 12L's in back in the 70's. I can't remember the last time I turned it on. I lift it off the ground every once in a while just to remember why I don't take it anywhere anymore.
A few months ago, I overheard a fellow from church mention that his 15 year old son was looking for an amp. He and some buddies had started a band and had just gotten their first "gig" to play at a birthday party in a local gym. His little 5W practice amp just wouldn't cut it. I told him I had a few amps and his son was welcome to come over and try a few to see which he liked best. Turns out the father had been in a band back in the 70's and knew quite a bit about the equipment. He asked if I had a Deluxe Reverb and I said yes. He thought it would be perfect for his son.

A few hours later, the two of them stopped by the house and I took them upstairs to my amp room. The boy looks around and immediately goes to my '69 Twin and says that's the one he wants. His dad didn't even blink. "Sure, son. Just pick it up and carry it down to the truck."

This boy, who probably weighed 110lbs soaking wet, leaned down, spread his arms to put his hands under each side and heaved. The amp barely moved. He stood up, looked at the amp again, and said, "Nah, I don't think this one will work. It looks kinda old."

Dad smiled. And they took the DR home. It's even older than the Twin...but don't tell the kid.

A few Canadian and American Guitars
Old 06-03-2011, 09:07 AM

Well the Deluxe ( a classic!) is great for small gigs. But when I have heard them they are breaking up and that is where the "magic" occurs. This is the classic rock/country rock/blues sound I love. It you want a loud clean amp that keeps up with a full band this Deluxe is not the ideal one.
Rivera makes a lightweight 40W called the Clubster that has a very powerful clean sound . I know because I own it. Have you played through a Roland Jazz Chorus amp? I am sure there are others but 35-40 watt should be enough for a all tube amp. Of course, the 100W Fender Twin is one of the cleanest but it weighs a TON.
Old 06-03-2011, 10:15 AM

A DR is plenty loud and clean for clubs under 300 people. Thousands of Country, Funk, Blues, Rock and Reggae bands are living proof. I've gig'ed them a lot along with AC-15's and Dr. Z Maz Jr's (also 15-18 watts) and Silver Face Princeton Reverbs...

A band has to be balanced when it plays...
Old 06-03-2011, 10:19 AM

I played again last night with bass, drums and second guitar. satrted out using my Juke Coda which is running 6L6's so is most likely getting about 22 watts. Then I played with the 15 watt PRRI. I had no difficulty cutting through the mix and keeping the sound pretty darn clean. I am more and more convinced that people don't utilize the magic of a good volume pot on their guitars. Crank the amp and work the guitar.

Trust me (and others like Jim Campagliano)..........It works!
Old 06-03-2011, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsDad View Post
A few months ago, I overheard a fellow from church mention that his 15 year old son was looking for an amp. He and some buddies had started a band and had just gotten their first "gig" to play at a birthday party in a local gym. His little 5W practice amp just wouldn't cut it. I told him I had a few amps and his son was welcome to come over and try a few to see which he liked best. Turns out the father had been in a band back in the 70's and knew quite a bit about the equipment. He asked if I had a Deluxe Reverb and I said yes. He thought it would be perfect for his son.

A few hours later, the two of them stopped by the house and I took them upstairs to my amp room. The boy looks around and immediately goes to my '69 Twin and says that's the one he wants. His dad didn't even blink. "Sure, son. Just pick it up and carry it down to the truck."

This boy, who probably weighed 110lbs soaking wet, leaned down, spread his arms to put his hands under each side and heaved. The amp barely moved. He stood up, looked at the amp again, and said, "Nah, I don't think this one will work. It looks kinda old."

Dad smiled. And they took the DR home. It's even older than the Twin...but don't tell the kid.
hahahahahaha
2009 Norman B18
2011 Larrivee L-03
Old 06-04-2011, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwimTrunks View Post
I have a 25 watt peavey bravo 112. There is no way this thing has enough juice to play a small gig without breaking up. i even put new tubes in it, maybe i should replace the speaker?

if im correct, the deluxe reverb is 22 watt. do you think its gig worthy?
would it be a more powerful amp than my peavey?

i like to play my strat electric guitar with a clean sound no breakup.

thanks!
Id go with a guitar amp with a bit more headroom if clean tones are your thing. Maybe a 40 watt valve amp along the lines of Blackstar. Nice clean tones and bone crunching distortion when you need it }

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars