The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-15-2011, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck62 View Post
Even though you feel like you're selling low, Craigslist is the best place to sell if you're near a larger metro area. The problem with Ebay is that listing fees, Paypal fees and shipping costs all eat up your bottom line.
I rarely come out ahead on CL vs EBay. AGF is always reasonable to me as a seller and I don't have the "fees".

Romans 5:6-8
Old 12-15-2011, 10:26 PM

I've sold a bunch of guitars over the years and found consigning it with a dealer that will guarantee me a set amount is best for me.

eBay and their illegitimate sibling Paypal now take close to 10% off the top (even from shipping fees!!) so you have to sell your guitar for a full 10% more than it's worth to get top dollar.

There have been a number of robberies here in LA stemming from Craigslist ads which makes me a little leery. A friend packs a gun whenever he meets someone via a Craigslist ad but I'm not much of a gun slinger.

I don't like selling anything on forums because I don't like answering a bunch of questions from people who may or may not be interested in my guitar and I don't want to deal deal with inspection periods and guys that want to re negotiate after they receive my guitar.

I can get 10% less than what I would clear with eBay or on forums by consigning with LA Guitar Sales and that's fine by me.
Old 12-16-2011, 12:50 AM
AGF Administrator

I offer it to my guitar playing friends first. After that I leave it on craiglist 'til it sells.
Old 12-16-2011, 01:25 AM

Craigslist. I have way more success getting fast, top dollar sales when folks can actually play my guitars and appreciate the effort which went into finding great examples of a type. I also get to meet really exceptional players and feel good that they're getting a guitar which really gets them pumped.

If not that, then consign at Gryphon.

Last choice is out of town sales, as I don't love shipping them and needing by all rights to offer a return period. Seems like a lot of time can get wasted by someone seeking a guitar on specs and visuals, not one tone and feel.

I'd offer it to my playing friends, but none of them are into high dollar guitars. No worries, I like letting them play 'em while I have 'em.
Old 12-16-2011, 01:53 AM

I've had great success selling through forums.

D.
Old 12-16-2011, 02:07 AM

I looked high and low as a buyer for that elusive "steal" on craigslist all over the country and wound up with the best bargain looking in the local classifieds paper (our variety is called the "iWanna"). I just sold my first guitar via craigslist yesterday after renewing it three times over the course of a month and finally a guy 5 hours away calls me and wants to purchase it and pays for shipping sight unseen. And 3 hours later, a guy down the road emails me about it. Guitars are fickle things..either no one wants model "x" or everyone does..
Old 12-16-2011, 07:01 AM
Charter Member

Sold a Fender via consignment (Willie's) that sold quick, and they talked the buyer back when he had second thoughts. BIG fee though.

Sold a Gibson through AGF, to a guy in...Singapore! Delivered to his son in FL. Took over a month (it WAS an electric) and at rock bottom price, but no fees (well, $15 Charter Member fee).

Bought a Taylor through AGF. Easy and painless.
Old 12-16-2011, 07:03 AM

Ive always had great luck right here or Harmony Central forums (which, to me, is kind of like 'local' sales) or CL. That is all if I don't already know someone that is interested.

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion,
It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed,
The hands acquire shaking, the shaking becomes a warning,
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Old 12-16-2011, 10:16 PM

I check with my dealer first and go to Ebay as a last resort. I stay clear of Craigslist.
Old 12-16-2011, 10:25 PM

Since I got into this crazy racket of buying/selling guitars in 2007, I've used eBay and Elderly. I've had success with eBay, but their rising fees are beginning to turn me off. With Elderly, I've typically gone with trade-ins; I find that they make fair offers and it's a good way to make a quick sale and move on to pastures new. I would not sell on Craigslist. With all the crazies out there, I do not welcome the thought of meeting up with a total stranger with a 2,000 dollar guitar tucked under my arm. Maybe that's overly cautious on my part, but there it is.
Old 12-16-2011, 10:33 PM
Charter Member

I've sold my fair share in the past couple of years, and I use AGF Classifieds and Craiglist for best results...
Martin 000-15sm
Old 06-27-2013, 02:34 AM

How about selling it to a pawn shop? worth a shot!
Old 06-27-2013, 04:52 AM

I've been trying to sell a guitar on Craig's List for a couple months. So far, no one has bothered to actually see the guitar but I've had:

-- a few ridiculously low offers
-- two nearly identical responses reeking of scam (would pay more than asking price, needed to deposit check into my account, and would send a third party to retrieve the guitar)
-- offer to trade a Smith and Wesson 45
-- offer to trade an AK-47
-- offer to trade ammo

I'm sure it works for many people/places but not much good for me, yet. I'm ready to just trade it in toward a new guitar at a dealer. Less money in long run I suppose, but none of the headache.
Old 06-27-2013, 05:11 AM

Craigslist for me. This is an old thread that I responded to over a year ago when I had only bought from CL ... I've since had several successful sales, all pleasant experiences. Just remember to force yourself to price your guitar aggressively and it will sell on CL ... be unrealistic (even a little bit) and you'll be in for disappointment. Used guitars (no matter how "Nearly new" or pristine, etc.) are still not going to fetch much more than 50% of the original MSRP and most buyers are savvy enough to know that.

Hear my original music at: https://www.reverbnation.com/judsonhair

Last edited by Judson; 06-27-2013 at 05:17 AM.
Old 06-27-2013, 05:14 AM

Only if you need quick money more than you need a fair price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madelineid View Post
How about selling it to a pawn shop? worth a shot!

Hear my original music at: https://www.reverbnation.com/judsonhair

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion