The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-16-2024, 11:28 AM
Charter Member

Default How long have I been doing this???

Another funny story from live gigging. I have been playing shows for about 30 years now. Last night was a first. I was checking my new PA sound. I have two RCF 10s and my new Peavey powered mixer. Anyway, I can tell you that ultimately these RCF 10s sound better than the Mackie 10s I have. More volume...more mids, but I digress.

I am at the gig and doing a semi-soundcheck with my vocal mic (long cable) and I can't seem to get a nice high-end crispness. Made no sense, I had it sounded good at home....I kept messing with EQ and then, wait for it, I realized that these speakers have padded covers. I had only opened up the back for the cables and not unzipped the front......dayam, all's well that ends well...
Old 03-16-2024, 04:41 PM

Love the story. Things like this will happen when setting up.

come to one of our shows just east of Atlanta!
http://mikeandkayte.com
Old 03-16-2024, 05:24 PM

So I turn one of the house speakers toward me/band at soundcheck to get a basic house balance. Analog board, but everything is marked so I’m always close and need only small adjustments. It works great every time. Ummm, once I forgot to turn that house speaker back to FOH …no freakin wonder it seemed so loud, doh! Lol!!! At least it was only the first song.

Edward
Old 03-16-2024, 10:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by edward993 View Post
So I turn one of the house speakers toward me/band at soundcheck to get a basic house balance. Analog board, but everything is marked so I’m always close and need only small adjustments. It works great every time. Ummm, once I forgot to turn that house speaker back to FOH …no freakin wonder it seemed so loud, doh! Lol!!! At least it was only the first song.

Edward
Lol, both of these stories are hilarious.

This isn't exactly the same sort of thing, but I picked up a gig today with about six hour's notice when someone cancelled. I arrived 70 minutes ahead of time, comfortable for load in and sound check of my simple Evolve 30m setup at a medium sized pub. Needed almost all of that to diagnose the somewhat concerning issue of no sound coming out of it despite jumping indicators in the app and back-panel control. Reboots, check PA driver connections, nothing.

At seven minutes before go time, I realized that although the Speaker indicator was not set on mute, it was set to zero volume. Which some of us might call "mute." (It's a quirk of the system that sometimes it'll zero-out volume after shutdown without asking).

I have even more grey hair now.

Last edited by Chriscom; 03-17-2024 at 09:58 PM.
Old 03-17-2024, 09:39 AM
Charter Member

This thread should fun to read if others with stories would chime in. I love the story about the speaker pointed at you lol
Old 03-17-2024, 10:50 AM

Well, not my mistake, but... I was running sound for another group, who had helped set up. For some reason I really had to crank the gain on one of the mics (LDCs), and kept creeping into feedback. We got through the performance, but it wasn't optimal. Afterwards, I went to take down the microphones that someone else had set up and found that the problematic mic had been put backwards in the shock mount, so it was facing away from the performers. That explained it.
Old 03-17-2024, 06:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by edward993 View Post

Edward
Edward, I feel you, I did almost the same thing at my gig on Friday. I turned my Everse 8 around to adjust the master volume, and got to talking with someone and left it that way. Now, I'm at this bar every other Friday, so I know how it sounds there. During the first song, I'm thinking man it sounds real muffled, finish the song turn around and it's pointed at the wall.

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele

My Band's Spotify page https://open.spotify.com/artist/2KKD...SVeZXf046SaPoQ
Old 03-17-2024, 07:44 PM

Ahhh the things that keep us humble, eh? Gotta love that live music is still so human, replete with whatever foibles! At least, for as long as we keep it so!

Edward
Old 03-23-2024, 04:28 PM
Charter Member

I'm feeling a bit better about the times (plural) I've reversed the transmitter and receiver on my wireless guitar system! Fortunately it's been resolved at sound check but duh!
Old 03-24-2024, 07:29 PM

This is an age related story:

After years of playing in bands, I switched to running sound as it allowed me to live in one place and have insurance and paid vacation time.

Towards the end of my career, I seemed to be blowing high frequency drivers on the left side of the sage (my POV).

Eventually I figured out that I wasn’t blowing horns at all, but rather that my ears could no longer hear the high frequencies that they produced!

I retired from that job soon after to protect what was left of my hearing.

A few years later and I cannot hear at all out of that ear!
Old 03-27-2024, 07:22 AM

So our church worship band has been struggling with in-ear-monitors, well I have, and using tracks. At rehearsal, sound guy has been messing around trying to get everybody balanced in and all that goes with sound board stuff. I can't hear my acoustic. I'm fiddling with volume, new battery, check pedal board, yep, amps on, yes ear monitor is on..... what the.... oh. Cable into guitar not pushed in all the way.....
Martin DM16
Epi Sheraton
Gretsch G2410TG
Gretsch Electromatic 12

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification