The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-19-2024, 11:21 AM

Default Loudbox mini settings

I’m still a beginner so trying to learn how to adjust my Loudbox mini.

Do you guys have standard settings or do ya change them up depending on what ya play?

I play a lot of different styles. DAC, Hank, Clapton blues, to Hendrix to zeppelin.

I don’t get to play with others so thanks for the help here!
Old 03-19-2024, 11:27 AM
Charter Member

I run sound for my band and I also have a loudbox mini i use for myself and in an acoustic trio, so I will chime in.

Generally speaking, you adjust the amp to get the sound you want for the guitar, pickup and even the room. Ideally, the amp will just make an acoustic guitar sound louder, but still just like your acoustic guitar. So you don't change the sound of the guitar when playing un amplified so don't change it amplified.

So.....find the tone you like (and it will change at different volumes). Set it up[ for the room and the guitar and for how loud you will be playing. Then leave it alone and just play.

It should sound the same, only louder.

(disclaimer: this all goes out the window when using an electric or modeling ampo or such etc etc etc)

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 03-19-2024, 11:59 AM

Thanks - appreciate the input!
Old 03-20-2024, 03:59 AM

Yes, exactly what Fazool said. I have a Loud box mini and a number of instruments with pick ups, guitars and Ukuleles. I adjust the tone controls and volume for each individual instrument, it can vary a little or a lot.

One trick, if you are new to this is to subtract rather then add. If you want more bass try reducing the treble first and see how that sounds. Good luck and fun
Old 03-20-2024, 07:46 AM
Charter Member

Just set it up to get a really good acoustic tone for your guitar and then adjust the mic controls to get the vocal tone you like. After that just play. If you gig or play at different locations, you'll need to tweak your sound a touch for each room but these are slight adjustments and you'll hear what's lacking. It's not like going through the full setup again. One thing to note about these Fishman systems is sometimes they sound best with the EQ settings at or below the 12 o'clock position.
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 03-20-2024, 08:38 AM

Good tips Dave and Mick. Appreciate it. Not a giger- no where close to that skill wise- just a basement player. Sometimes the porch. Thought about setting up in the barn a little when the weather cooperates- just trying to learn
Old 03-20-2024, 10:09 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimberII View Post
I’m still a beginner so trying to learn how to adjust my Loudbox mini.

Do you guys have standard settings or do ya change them up depending on what ya play?

I play a lot of different styles. DAC, Hank, Clapton blues, to Hendrix to zeppelin.

I don’t get to play with others so thanks for the help here!
Hi Timber II…

When setting up my amp (when it was new) I put the guitar in my gigging partner's hands, and asked him to play for me, and I adjusted the amp and sat across from it (about 10 feet away) so I could listen/adjust more accurately.

It's nearly impossible for me to adjust the amp when playing my acoustic at the same time.

Not so with my electrics since they don't put out acoustic sound loud enough to change the direction of my adjustments (in fact I set my electrics using headphones through my multi-pedal).

Hope this adds to the discussion…

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 03-21-2024, 04:53 AM

Yes it does, thanks lj
Old 03-26-2024, 11:23 PM

My settings are adjusted once I'm at the venue and ready for a soundcheck. Indoor will be different than outdoor of course, amp placement whether on a high stand, table or floor will be different. It really comes down to flatten everything out and adjust to suit.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification