The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-24-2017, 08:25 AM

For me, it depends on the gig. For a small acoustic gig, I won't take a backup. If it is a gig that pays really well, or has a sizable audience, I will take a backup along.

I was playing a gig at the Wildhorse Saloon in Nashville awhile back, and it's a pretty large venue. I had 5 guitars on stage with me (and a fiddle), but I also had a backup amp head. I was using a Dr. Z Stang Ray head & cabinet, and had an old Fender Bassman head sitting there as a backup (see pic below). The Dr. Z died a sudden death in the middle of song, but within 30-45 seconds I had the Bassman going.

Why 5 guitars? 1 - Acoustic, 2 - Standard Tuning, 3 - B-Bender, 4 - tuned to open E, 5 - tuned to open Ab

The transitions between songs need to happen quick and there is not time to retune. But in a worst case scenario (e.g usually a broken string) I could grab another guitar and retune if needed.

An ounce of prevention is better than a pound of cure.

Last edited by 815C; 05-24-2017 at 08:42 AM.
Old 05-24-2017, 08:32 AM

I carry extra strings and batteries (if plugging in). Guitars are meant to last unless you abused them.

It is important to care for your instrument on stage as you do in your home. I don't put my guitars where they could be knocked over and make sure I have room to move so I don't crash into stuff.

Something I learned as a photographer is to always test my gear before going out on a gig. I inspect it regularly, particularly before any gig and use is regularly in rotation so that I can identify any issues in time to fix them (which almost never occur because I'm anal about maintenance and string changes). I ALWAYS install fresh batteries; batteries that I know to be reliable.

Take care of your gear and your gear takes care of you.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 05-24-2017, 09:10 AM
Charter Member

I don't gig, but many years ago, I went to a Michael Martin Murphy concert. His very first in Colorado. He was playing acoustic and a string broke. He stopped, apologized for the mishap, and picked up a backup guitar, explaining he didn't think it was fair that we only got to hear 5/6 of the accompaniment. Strings are a lot better these days (that was 1977 or thereabouts), so maybe not applicable. Star performers can afford multiple guitars on set and likely have assistants to tune them, set them up, etc.
2017 Eastman E10 OM
Old 05-24-2017, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratcat77 View Post
I've gigged for over 30 years. Most of that was playing electric guitar in bands. In that situation I usually took two guitars to gigs to have a backup.

For the last few years I've just been doing acoustic gigs and have not brought a backup. So far I haven't had an issue but do think about it.

Curious what others of you who gig do.

Thanks as always!
I play a lot of open tuned songs so I take at least 2 guitars and maybe 3 if I can fit them all in my sports car. (P.A. needs to go in there too!).

But for me it's a convenience rather than a necessity. Some song I play (originals) can use the same tuning & so the same guitar. It saves time between songs. Just my 2 cents. Screwing around tuning up or down for several songs does stress out the higher strings. And when one pops, that's where reaching for a backup really comes in handy!

Alvarez ABT60 Bari Nat/ABT60E Rust-burst
Cordoba Flamenco GK Studio Zircote
D'Angelico Lexington Dred
Ibanez AC240 OM hog
2x Martin DSR Dred rosewood
Martin DSM Dred hog
Martin full Ovangkol Dred
Martin D-35 (2019)
Yamaha A5M Jap Cust Shop Dred
Yamaha A3M Dred
Yamaha A4K full Koa Dred
Bose S1 Pro
JBL Eon 1 original (2 each)

Objects in the future are closer then they appear.
Old 05-24-2017, 06:26 PM

I used to break strings regularly. However I was in a church situation, so it was not so critical that I could not wait until the end of a song to change over. for years I'd just throw on another string between songs. In the end, I purchased a 12 string as a "backup" but, also to give me a different sound. So, yes, I usually have a spare instrument on stage. but not of the same type.
Old 05-24-2017, 09:17 PM

Lately I take two similar, yet different jumbos, a Guild F-50 (maple) and F-50R (rosewood), both equipped with a K&K. I use one or the other depending on whether I want a "dry" or "wet" tone for a song.

Big full sound from both, with exactly the same playability. Both hit my signal chain with about the same volume, so switching from one to the other is easy.

A few nice ones, a few beaters, and a few I should probably sell...
Old 05-24-2017, 10:11 PM
Charter Member

Back when I used to gig regularly I would always have a backup. I'd usually have two 6-strings and a 12-string. I used to break strings frequently so when that happened I needed something to grab and play until our set break when I could pop a new string on. if there was too much downtime the drummer would start telling jokes and no one wants that

And yes definitely on the "oh crap" bag. I always have extra strings, picks, batteries, tuners, cables, DI, even a few microphones just in case.

-Mike
Old 05-24-2017, 10:29 PM

I always have a back up in the car. I had a pickup crap out on me once and I had to scramble and find an instrument from someone who lived nearby. Can't afford to have that happen at a wedding.
Buscarino Starlight nylon, Martin 000C-RGTE, Godin nylon duet ambiance, Breedlove Bossa Nova, cedar/EIR, Breedlove SC-20, cedar/walnut, Ovation Nylon LX1773, CA Cargo, CA GX, Larrivee 00-03, sitka/hog
Old 05-25-2017, 06:52 AM

No, I don't - but I always have 2-3 stringed instruments plus harps at every show. On acoustic shows i take an acoustic and my Gretsch Reso in open G. On acoustic & electric gigs I carry 1 acoustic and two electrics - one in E and one in open G.

If I bust a string (has happened once several years ago) I just take a short break and change instruments.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 05-25-2017, 07:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I've gigged for over 30 years. Most of that was playing electric guitar in bands. In that situation I usually took two guitars to gigs to have a backup.

For the last few years I've just been doing acoustic gigs and have not brought a backup. So far I haven't had an issue but do think about it.

Thanks as always!
Hi S-cat

I personally only carry a backup set of new strings, and a string peg winder. Have not broken a string in over a dozen years, but that's my backup. I can't forsee anything else going wrong on stage.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 05-25-2017, 08:13 AM

Really depends on the gig, and if it's practical. If it's practical, yeah, I'm bringing. Especially if it's someone else's gig and not mine...nobody wants string change dead air on stage.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 05-28-2017, 04:20 AM

Quote:

Thanks as always!
Always. The first time you pop a string in the middle of the 2nd song in set one, you are going to thank me. Stopping to change strings can kill, literally choke the life out of a gig.
Old 05-29-2017, 03:26 PM

Perhaps just an excuse to buy another one, but I just pulled the trigger on a "backup" guitar. I bought a Taylor 426ce Limited Blackwood on EBay.

Thankfully, my wife never ever complains when I buy something! She actually encourages me to do it. I'm not a gear junkie and usually make more in a year playing music than I spend on gear (this is not to say I make a lot - it's a statement about my generally being frugal).

Can't wait to get it and try it out! Anyone have one or played one?

2010 Taylor 814ce
2008 Taylor 816ce
2008 Taylor 426ce LTD (Tasmanian blackwood)

LR Baggs Venue
Ditto X2 Looper
TC Helicon H1 Harmony Pedal
Allen & Heath ZED 10FX
LD Systems Maui 11 G2
Galaxy PA6BT Monitor
iPad with OnSong
JBL EON ONE Compact (typically only used as a backup)

My Facebook Music Page
My YouTube Page

Last edited by Stratcat77; 05-29-2017 at 03:33 PM.
Old 05-29-2017, 03:38 PM

We play a few acoustic songs that I switch from Strat to my Taylor T5, which is going through my Fender Acoustasonic 150. So I have a backup guitar and amp as the T5 can get me through if the Strat fails and the Acoustasonic can handle electric if my Fender Deluxe VM fails. As I get older I'm thinking I'll eventually cut back to Strat and the Deluxe VM and take my chances.
Taylor 612ce (2001)
Taylor T5-C2 Koa (2007)
Ovation CS28P KOAB - Koa Burst (2017)
Paul Reed Smith 305 - Sunburst (2012)
Paul Reed Smith Custom 22 - Autumn Sky (2013)
Fender Classic Player 60s Strat - Sonic Blue (2012)
Roland Juno DS76 (2020)
Old 05-29-2017, 04:19 PM

Dave wrote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
The only exception is when I am playing longer sets and I will bring a 12 string for the John Denver stuff. But, no one can listen to a 12 string all night long. I suspect the audience would try and break 6 of the strings before the night was out. :-)
It wouldn't be the 12 string that sparked the insurgency, Dave, but the John Denver songs!

Wade Hampton "You Fill Up My SENSES, Like A Fart In A Phone Booth..." Miller

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion