The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-23-2017, 02:33 PM

Default Ernie Ball Paradigm Strings

Just bought a set of these to try on my carbon fiber guitar. I live on a boat, hence the CF guitar. I dislike coated strings. These are not coated? They are guaranteed not to break or corrode for 90 days. I don't break strings , but like the non corrosive claim. I put them on last night. Sounds fine, initial a bit Jangly PB sound to start, feels good ,stays in tune. I usually get about 2 weeks from most other brands of PB strings. If these will last 90 days then they might be worth the extra expense.
Anyone else try these? Opinions?
Old 05-24-2017, 06:45 AM

I have a set of the prototype strings.
I finally decided which guitar they were going on last night.
I put them on my Yairi. I must first admit that I wasn't really expecting much.
Silly me.
They took a little longer to get stretched and settled.
They are warm with no muddiness. Great tone across the board.
I still have to give them some time to settle. So, the jury is out for a bit.
I'm not sure what strings were on the Yairi. I've had it less than two weeks.
But if the Paradigm strings continue to sound this good AND last three months I may have just become a convert.

Alvarez 5013
Alvarez MD70CE
Alvarez PD85S
Alvarez AJ60SC
Alvarez ABT610e
Alvarez-Yairi GY1
Takamine P3DC
Takamine GJ72CE-12-NAT
Godin Multiac Steel.
Journey Instruments OF660
Gibson G45
Old 05-24-2017, 07:42 AM

I've got a (beta, PB) set on my RainSong right now. To me they feel and sound just like the Ernie Ball Everlast strings—which is a good thing. Everlasts have been my go-to sting for a few years now, but the Paradigms are supposed to last even longer.

They are a coated string (like the Everlasts), but not with some sort of plastic or teflon like the Elixirs. I think it's some kind of super-thin metallic or metal oxide coating. All I know is that they feel and sound exactly like uncoated strings to me. But I find the Everlasts typically last about 3x as long.

These Paradigm strings are looking like they'll go 4x or maybe even 5x as long—getting up into Elixir territory, but without that first week slipperiness that is a deal-breaker for me with the Elixirs.

Really like them so far.
Old 05-24-2017, 10:26 AM

I think that may be exactly it.
I thought that they were uncoated.
My issues with Elixirs is that the wound strings sound muted compared to the plain ones.

These Paradigm strings squeak very little, but don't feel "slimy".
And they have a really nice tone.

I'm also becoming a big fan of the Aluminum Bronze strings. On my guitars they sound good.
I'm not ready to abandon my go to strings. But they are influencing me in a huge way.

Alvarez 5013
Alvarez MD70CE
Alvarez PD85S
Alvarez AJ60SC
Alvarez ABT610e
Alvarez-Yairi GY1
Takamine P3DC
Takamine GJ72CE-12-NAT
Godin Multiac Steel.
Journey Instruments OF660
Gibson G45
Old 05-24-2017, 10:38 AM

I was going to try a couple sets on my collection but I went to the website & read their disclaimer regarding the replacement within 90 days: "Paradigm are the strongest, most durable guitar strings on the planet. If your strings break or rust within 90 days of purchase, we’ll replace them"

"THERE IS A MAXIMUM OF THREE CLAIMS PER YEAR PER CONSUMER REGARDLESS OF THE NUMBERS OF PRODUCT PURCHASED."

"... – except for damage from improper use or normal wear."

So on the 60th day you break a G string at the tuner and they call it 'normal wear'.? Or they say you 'abused' the strings? I really dislike marketing techniques like this. Why can't they just promote these strings on their best qualities alone? I know $15 a set is in the area of Elixr's but they sure don't want you to read the warranty fine print & it's not on the packaging. If they were $10, I'd buy 3 sets and not worry about any returns.

On a side note, I really like their PB Aluminum's. They are 2x louder than other PB's and there's more bass & mids coming from them, at least on most of my guitars I've tried them on. Brand new out of the package, they look like they're corroded but they're not. They sound great!

Alvarez ABT60 Bari Nat/ABT60E Rust-burst
Cordoba Flamenco GK Studio Zircote
D'Angelico Lexington Dred
Ibanez AC240 OM hog
2x Martin DSR Dred rosewood
Martin DSM Dred hog
Martin full Ovangkol Dred
Martin D-35 (2019)
Yamaha A5M Jap Cust Shop Dred
Yamaha A3M Dred
Yamaha A4K full Koa Dred
Bose S1 Pro
JBL Eon 1 original (2 each)

Objects in the future are closer then they appear.
Old 05-24-2017, 04:06 PM

I think they're more applicable for electric guitar, or for people who bend strings ...a lot!

Fender RK Tele
Godin ACS SA, 5th Ave
Gretsch G7593, G9240
Martin JC-16ME Aura, J12-16GT, 000C Nylon
Ovation:
Adamas U681T, Elite 5868, Elite DS778TX, Elite Collectors '98
Custom Legend, Legend LX 12 string, Balladeer, Classical
Parker MIDIfly, P10E
Steinberger Synapse
Taylor 320, NS34
Yamaha SA503
Old 05-24-2017, 06:31 PM

I think you're right about the breakage. The only people I've ever seen breaking acoustic strings have been doing really heavy strumming. The only time I've ever broken an acoustic string myself was while stretching them after putting on a new set.

I like the EB Aluminum Bronze stings too, but I find them just too jangly for my carbon fiber RainSong. I've got a cedar/rosewood guitar coming, and I'm excited to see how the Aluminum Bronze stings sound there.
Old 05-28-2017, 11:31 AM

Default Ernie Ball Paradigm Strings

I purchased two sets of the 13s in phosphor bronze. Put one set on my Martin GE and they sound excellent. They feel good, hold pitch well, and sound clean. Not brittle or too bright. If they keep their tone and last a while I might be a convert. However, on my Taylors, I currently prefer Elixir. It would be great if they released a paradigm 12 string set. I use the EB Al bronze on any guitar that needs a bass or treble boost (or relative mid cut). There are no other strings on the market that do that trick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 05-29-2017, 10:58 AM

I'm noticing something interesting with my Paradigm strings.

I've had my current set on for about a month, I think. They're getting a little discolored toward the end of the neck, where I fret them. (I think my skin chemistry is a little harder than average on strings). Normally, my strings would be sounding noticeably flatter (in tone, not pitch) when I can see these darker patches. And if these were Everlasts, it would be time to change them.

But when I listen, rather than look, they still sound fresh. I just ordered another set.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion