The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 05-20-2017, 09:57 AM

Another reason I am a lifetime Martin-ite, I have never had a problem selling a Martin, Martins' re-sell value is rock solid.

The last two Martin's I sold (000-18GE and OM-28V) when I was "upgrading" sold in days, my prices are "market" for condition, sales were quick and painless.

There are wonderful big name luthier guitars, that many folks may never have heard of, and come re-sell your have smaller buyers market both due to price and name recognition.

But I agree, if you have an instrument for sale for months......the price or the condition are "off"..........

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)
Old 05-20-2017, 10:01 AM

Some people do overvalue their own stuff. Fact of life. And sometimes a guitar needs a specific buyer to sell. . Can take a while.

But I think there is a limit to how often one can bump an ad isn't there? I've had a few guitars for sale for over a year (off and on I travel). Actually had one sold when I was out of town but couldn't complete as I was out of town. I don't bump often though. And I get lots of interest. Sadly, almost always trade offers. No cash offers. Yet.

At the ed of the day they are worth X to me and I can wait. if they don't sell heck, I like them when I bought them so no loss. And really, who is hurt by my listing them for the value I place on them?

In regards to most standard mass produced guitars if mine were that I would recognize the going rate and price accordingly. It matters not what you paid for something. It only matters what they are worth now. Which goes both ways ala an Olson bought new 10 years ago is worth more than the owner paid.
Old 05-20-2017, 10:10 AM
Charter Member

Default "...we suggest you bump your thread once every 24 hours..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmybcool View Post
...snip...But I think there is a limit to how often one can bump an ad isn't there? ...snip...
In fairness to all the sellers being referenced by this thread, it is actually recommended in the forum Classified Rules that sellers bump their ad every 24 hours: "To maximize visibility we suggest you bump your thread once every 24 hours and/or place a link to it in your signature".

2017 Alvarez Yairi OY70CE - Sugaree
c.1966 Regal Sovereign R235 Jumbo - Old Dollar
2009 Martin 000-15 - Brown Bella
1977 Gibson MK-35 - Apollo
2004 Fender American Stratocaster - The Blue Max
2017 Fender Custom American Telecaster - Brown Sugar
Think Hippie Thoughts...
Old 05-20-2017, 10:21 AM

This is why I stay off the classifieds.
Old 05-20-2017, 11:52 AM

What if I've been bumping my subtraction?

Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 05-20-2017, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil K Walk View Post
This is why I stay off the classifieds.
Me to Neil. And if I buy a guitar, I like it to at least be in my hemisphere.
Old 05-20-2017, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed-in-Ohio View Post
Attention sellers of used, recent, 18 Series Martin guitars: Brand New 18 Series Martins (with lifetime warranties) can be purchased for under $1,900...REPEAT, under $1,900!

In the current market, the magic number for one of these is probably $1,500 shipped.

THANK You!!

I've mentioned before, I can't help it if someone didn't do their homework and paid $24** MAP price for their 18 Series guitar...I'm not going to ante up what they overpaid...
Old 05-21-2017, 12:22 PM
Charter Member

Although I have not done any "bumping" of any ads here, I can understand the thought process, in part...

If someone is selling an item that is not a mainstream product, it may take a while for the "right person" to find it... bumping that item is a good way to keep it where a serious buyer may actually see it for sale.

On the other hand, I have certainly seen MANY guitars for sale where the seller is asking far too much for far too little...

Of course, I don't HAVE to look at any thing I don't choose to...
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 05-21-2017, 02:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jseth View Post

Of course, I don't HAVE to look at any thing I don't choose to...
True, but when a for sale listing with PRICE DROP in the title is bumped 5 dozen times since the last price drop it starts to feel like a bait and switch.

Goodall, Martin, Wingert
Old 05-21-2017, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Paul View Post
True, but when a for sale listing with PRICE DROP in the title is bumped 5 dozen times since the last price drop it starts to feel like a bait and switch.
Yep. Especially when it is done by someone who has had many listings in the last year or so. Not that I have a particular person in mind....
Old 05-21-2017, 05:28 PM

People are trying to sell their guitars. I am not sure why you care if it is bumped as the rules state, no more than once in 24 hours. Don't look at it if you know what it is and you are not interested. It is not hard to scroll past an ad.

I can't blame people for trying to sell their guitars and trying to get as much for them as they can. If you don't want to buy it don't buy it.

I am really not sure why this is a concern for anyone. Stay off the page completely if it bugs you so much. I will wait for you guys to sell, I am sure you will list it so low that it will sell right away...

The classifieds are there to allow people to sell. I tried to sell a guitar and it did not sell after 2 months and I removed the ad, but that is just me, I don't worry if someone else leaves theirs up, how does that harm me?

Last edited by TomB'sox; 05-21-2017 at 07:30 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-21-2017, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
People are trying to sell their guitars. I am not sure why you care if it is bumped as the rules state, no more than once in 24 hours. Don't look at it if you know what it is and you are not interested. It is not hard to scroll past an add.

I can't blame people for trying to sell their guitars and trying to get as much for them as they can. If you don't want to buy it don't buy it.

I am really not sure why this is a concern for anyone. Stay off the page completely if it bugs you so much. I will wait for you guys to sell, I am sure you will list it so low that it will sell right away...

The classifieds are there to allow people to sell. I tried to sell a guitar and it did not sell after 2 months and I removed the add, but that is just me, I don't worry if someone else leaves theirs up, how does that harm me?
People visit the place looking for the diamonds in the rough and that takes frequent scanning. Seeing the same non-contender topping the list becomes a pet nuisance I suppose. I go there rarely, out of boredom when I do, but have no desire to buy another guitar and haven't for 10 years now. I doubt I'd be miffed by someone making the effort to maintain his ad. Seems the right thing to do to me if I was wanting to sell anything. I have half a mind to go there with a really cheap ad for a minty Goodall or something high end, bump the crappola out of it, ignore the interested bargain shoppers for a couple weeks or so and then post it as sold. I'm devious that way.
Old 05-21-2017, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
People are trying to sell their guitars. I am not sure why you care if it is bumped as the rules state, no more than once in 24 hours. Don't look at it if you know what it is and you are not interested. It is not hard to scroll past an add.

The classifieds are there to allow people to sell. I tried to sell a guitar and it did not sell after 2 months and I removed the add, but that is just me, I don't worry if someone else leaves theirs up, how does that harm me?
Gee, settle down Francis. I'm just stating the fact that if you have not changed your price in six months and you bump it nearly every single day for six months then obviously it's priced too high no one's buying it but you don't need to get upset about it either
Old 05-21-2017, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahorsewithnonam View Post
Gee, settle down Francis. I'm just stating the fact that if you have not changed your price in six months and you bump it nearly every single day for six months then obviously it's priced too high no one's buying it but you don't need to get upset about it either
Well my name is not Francis, thank you, I am also not upset. Did you read your own thread? There is a lot of criticism regarding pricing, length of time the guitars have been for sale, too many bumps, trying to sell for too high or price, lots of experts on sales here. Much more than just your OP.

I also don't believe your premise that if it has not sold it is priced too high. I thing another valid reason is the higher end guitars that are therefore priced higher have a much smaller market and will take longer to sell. A $10,000.00 hand built will not sell as quickly as an $800.00 factory, IMO.
Old 05-21-2017, 06:17 PM

Dude, calm down it's an open mic ....its to talk about whatever you want to talk about and I chose to talk about a few guitars that I have seen in the classifieds with the same price for the past six months that get bumped up week after week obviously the pricing is wrong. I just find it goofy. That's my opinion and it seems to be the opinion of a lot of people here I don't know why you want to censor my opinion over yours.

And as you said in your own words if I don't like it then I shouldn't look at it so if you don't like my post I don't know why you just don't overlook it as well. I guess we could shut down the open mic section because it's full of opposing opinions that what makes the world go round.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic