The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-24-2017, 08:44 AM

Default Guitar top refinish taking over a year?

I sent my Guild F50r to a person who is known to do great refinish jobs over a year ago, and paid him in advance. The top had finish cracks due to shipping in cold weather, so only the top needed to be done.

Every few weeks he sends a text to me indicating it will be soon but only after I text him many times.

Now, I get no response at all.

I am not sure what to do, any ideas would be appreciated.

SL
Old 05-24-2017, 08:54 AM
Charter Member

Did you discuss a finish date or time frame with him? It's hard to know if this is a problem without knowing what the expectation was on each side. It seems like a long time to me, but I've never had a guitar refinished. If I got uneasy I would go retrieve the guitar.
Old 05-24-2017, 09:01 AM

I'm sorry buddy, but yer gettin had. Get your guitar back is the best advice I have.

rct
Old 05-24-2017, 09:09 AM
Guest 1928

Paying in advance seems odd. Not having clear expectations up front compounds problems, as does unfulfilled promises of completion.

That said, it's a fair bit of work, and it's expensive. If it wasn't expensive, that's another problem. To do this correctly, he'll have to remove the neck and bridge, and reset them after the top is refinished. That's made more complicated by the original finish over heel/body joint, which is how I assume it is on your Guild.

Have you tried calling, or setting up a time to phone? Sometimes a conversation (calm, polite, kind, etc.) is the best way to resolve misunderstandings.
Old 05-24-2017, 09:12 AM
Charter Member

Worst case scenario is he took your money and ran and you've been had. BUT if the guy has a good reputation and hasn't ripped anyone else off then most likely that isn't the case.

A lot of really talented folks that work for themselves have a hard time prioritizing tasks and structuring their business (if you want to experience this at it's best, go hire some contractors to do some remodeling on your house). If you're being really cool about the wait and not pressuring him, then it could be that he just keeps putting more pressing (or easier) jobs in front of yours. The ones that yell the loudest are the ones that get done first and the nice guys wait until last. I would go meet with him and politely but firmly let him know that you've waited a year and you want your guitar done now, not later. Tell him that you brought your guitar to him because he's supposed to be the best, but it's time to get the job finished. Total work time on a refinish shouldn't be more than two or three weeks. It's time for you to start being the squeaky wheel.
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 05-24-2017, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick's Goat Whiskey Picks View Post
Worst case scenario is he took your money and ran and you've been had. BUT if the guy has a good reputation and hasn't ripped anyone else off then most likely that isn't the case.

A lot of really talented folks that work for themselves have a hard time prioritizing tasks and structuring their business (if you want to experience this at it's best, go hire some contractors to do some remodeling on your house). If you're being really cool about the wait and not pressuring him, then it could be that he just keeps putting more pressing (or easier) jobs in front of yours. The ones that yell the loudest are the ones that get done first and the nice guys wait until last. I would go meet with him and politely but firmly let him know that you've waited a year and you want your guitar done now, not later. Tell him that you brought your guitar to him because he's supposed to be the best, but it's time to get the job finished. Total work time on a refinish shouldn't be more than two or three weeks. It's time for you to start being the squeaky wheel.

That's excellent advice!

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 05-24-2017, 09:52 AM

"Squeaky Wheel Gets the Grease" ... a year is way excessive under any circumstances. He may be finding you easy to put off while he addresses squeakier wheels, you being a nice guy and all.

Hear my original music at: https://www.reverbnation.com/judsonhair
Old 05-24-2017, 09:59 AM

Depends on the finish. I let lacquer dry 4 weeks before buffing it out. So two to three weeks is pushing it. But one year is too long. I know you don't need to be told this but, don't pay up front. That's and odd request from a repair tech IMHO. I could see maybe getting a deposit, but even that.
Old 05-24-2017, 10:22 AM

A year seems like an awfully long time... but not unheard of. I had a neck reset on a Martin and it took 3 months (maybe a bit more). After a year I'd press the guy for a hard due date.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 05-24-2017, 10:23 AM

You have waited way too long and should not have paid him up front. Do you have a receipt? I would go and get your guitar and the money if possible and find someone else to do the job and don't pay up front.
Old 05-24-2017, 11:07 AM

Default Top refinish

That's way too long. I'd get the guitar back and ask for a refund. If you can't get your money consider it a hard learned lesson paid for.

Any feelings about letting us know who the luthier is so others don't fall into the same trap, or maybe they can comment if they've had similar experiences?
Old 05-24-2017, 11:14 AM
Charter Member

Get the guitar back. If he won't give it back, call the police because he took your money AND sold your guitar.

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.
Old 05-24-2017, 11:41 AM
Charter Member

A very well respected guitar finisher on the west coast had a guitar of mine for two years while he was refinishing the top. Repairs always go to the back of the line but your situation and mine is/was excessive. My guy would frequently drop off the grid and not return messages. It was very frustrating to say the least.
Old 05-24-2017, 01:43 PM

Default what to do

I had a refin on an f-50, same situation, about a month. time for a road trip and face to face.
Old 05-24-2017, 02:01 PM

I would assume that I no longer have a guitar, and let the guy know that with no response and no estimated time to repair you will have to loom into taking legal action to recoup damages.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion