The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 05-22-2017, 08:54 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by polarred21 View Post
Which GC were you at?
The store was at Omaha Nebraska. I just wanted to look at the Martin low profile performance neck. That was the reason I stopped. It makes me wonder how Martin can sell guitars if there aren't any in Omaha. It's not that smale of city. I was considering a D-18 but things I've heard about the neck scares me away.

I didn't play the Gibsons because my left hand is broke right now.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 05-22-2017, 08:55 AM

Its been about 4 years or so but once I went to a guitar center that was about as close to the martin factory as you can get and the selection was pretty much the same as your experience. Its just a guitar center thing.
Old 05-22-2017, 09:22 AM

Default Another GC Story

I am fortunate to live in Chicago. I have a Guitar Center and Sam Ash within 10 and 20 minutes of my house. Within a 1 hour drive I have a few world class shops to choose from. That said, I end up going to GC a lot because it's close, and the people are friendly. I don't expect them to be experts on every product. But, they usually have some good advice and a decent selection. They always offer me some sort of discount. The only shop we lack in this area is a really good sound reinforcement store. GC ends up being the only decent place to try/buy speakers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 05-22-2017, 11:30 AM

I live a couple of miles from a couple of excellent guitar shops but they are limited to space for stock. About 12 years ago, on a trip to Nevada, I researched stores that held Rainsong guitars together with Gibsons, Martins etc, etc and was looking forward to visiting a well known GC that boasted an unbelievable stock catalogue.

When I got there, there were guitars as far as the eye could see but no staff anywhere to be seen. I wandered around and finally decided to lift a Rainsong down from the rack. If it were out of tune I would tune it but the strings on this thing were pitted and threatened to cut fingers to ribbons should you dare to slide them along the string. This was the same with all the guitars and it turned out to be a hugely disappointing anti-climax.

It was like test driving an Aston Martin with flat tyres.

I cannot comment on the helpfulness of the staff because I didn't see anyone. It almost felt like I could have walked out with whatever I wanted without challenge... (I didn't).

YouTube
Old 05-22-2017, 11:31 AM

I've watched playas tune guitars by ear in our version of Guitar Center (Long and McQuade) I don't think you can blame the staff. I think those big stores are for beginners for the most part. People are nervous and just want to get started. The staff likely make minimum wage and are ill prepared in some cases to answer complicated questions. There is also the wise guy who knows the answers to questions and fluffs up his ego by skill testing staff. They have my greatest respect and sympathy. Having said that I don't go to these places much I prefer small mom and pops or online retailers.

"Wish I had more time to hear your reasons, but I have to go get a beer." 00-28
Old 05-22-2017, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasworker View Post
I've watched playas tune guitars by ear in our version of Guitar Center (Long and McQuade) I don't think you can blame the staff.
Guilty as charged!

I definitely test drive in open G, and tune back by ear. I am pretty good at it though.
Old 05-22-2017, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jelly View Post
The store was at Omaha Nebraska.
Looks like the reviews for this store are bad as well, if the link works:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Gu...130202!9m1!1b1
2006 Yamaha F200TXR 4 stroke. My Guitars - Yamaha FG700S Sandburst; Epiphone Les Paul Standard; 2018 Yamaha LL-16D Natural; Ibanez Talman Bass; Fender Standard Telecaster; Yamaha FG820-12 Natural; Yamaha FS830 Tobacco Brown Sunburst; ....A beginner practicing almost everyday since 12/15/14....{:::]==={=O=I}
Old 05-22-2017, 01:31 PM

Default let em go wild

I bring my 8 - 11yr kids there, they have a blast! and I let them (nothing too obnoxious, or damage or break anything). It is nice having one in my town, it happens to be across the street from Walmart too... Here they lock up the high end Martins & Taylors , but most attainable acoustic guitars have dead strings from everyone touching them. I could not see myself buying a new guitar from a store. Plus I would rather give the business to mom & pop. I always consider their used equipment, because I can return it to my local store.
Old 05-22-2017, 02:02 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M123 View Post
So tune them!

I'm no great fan of GC, but I don't go in expecting every guitar to be in tune. That's kind of like refusing to test drive a car you're interested in because the seat and mirrors aren't adjusted to your needs!

Now if you want to talk about the paleolithic strings, I'll listen sympathetically.
Who makes paleolithic (TM) strings? Do they sound better the older they get?
Old 05-22-2017, 02:17 PM
Guest4562

I don't mind the idea of GC but I'm knowledgeable enough just to go in, get what I want and leave. I will look at guitars a bit, but if I want to actually buy one I'll make a longer drive to a couple of other shops I prefer. I order mundane things on line, strings, etc.
Old 05-22-2017, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Hayden View Post
Who makes paleolithic (TM) strings? Do they sound better the older they get?
They're a Guitar Center exclusive. The only way to get them is to buy a guitar that has been sitting on the shelf for a couple of years. Be careful to count them though, they often come in sets of 5!

If you're desperate, you can simulate them by taking a normal set of uncoated strings and burying them in the backyard for 6 months.
Old 05-23-2017, 04:19 AM
Charter Member

Picked up several nice guitars at GC over the years. All were impulse buys. Since they started locking the high end room up they lost my business. I understand why they started doing it but I no longer go to my local GC.
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat
Old 05-23-2017, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post
They only had cheap Martins and the Gibsons were out of tune.

How awful.

I bet your chauffeur was pleased he didn't have to double park for too long.

Guys you don't know how lucky you are!
Rotfl

Sent from my SM-J500F using Tapatalk
Old 05-23-2017, 09:45 AM

Overall, I don't think that it's the staff that makes GC as bad as it is. I think it's the "customers." And by customers, I'm talking about the "shredders" that come in there and blast away on everything from basses, drums, guitars, keyboards, etc. I can't remember the last time I went into a GC and there wasn't at least one person playing slap bass. If there was only one customer in there, I swear he'd be playing slap bass on a 4x10 cabinet at the smallest.

I think if I worked at a Guitar Center, and I had to listen to what they have to listen to day in and day out, I'd be pretty ticked all of the time. In addition, keep in mind that they have to talk to gear-heads all day who try to belittle them with their vast knowledge thanks to the internet. I think that there are some real knuckleheads that work at Guitar Center. In addition, I think there are some real knuckleheads that work at the local hospital, college, restaurant, bus station, etc.

In the acoustic room, it's a no win. GC staff won't let you play an expensive guitar? They are over-protective tightwads. If they actually let people play high-end guitars? Then they tend to get used and scratched up, and people don't want to pay for a new "used" guitar. If the strings are too old, people complain. If the strings are new, then people complain they aren't the right brand and/or gauge. No picks available? They are avoiding pick scratches on new guitars. If they give customers picks? Well, then they get scratched up. Only let older people play guitars and no young kids? Then the millenials get their feelings hurt, and GC gets sued due to lack of a "safe space."

People have been bashing GC here for years, and I'm just as guilty as anyone else. Now that I've gotten older, give those guys a break. If you run into a jerk, go somewhere else. If they have a track record of having to wait, go whenever you aren't in a hurry. Be nice. You'll be amazed where that gets you.

Disclaimer: I have never worked at a music store of any kind, and nor do I want to.

Last edited by PorkPieGuy; 05-23-2017 at 09:51 AM.
Old 05-23-2017, 10:15 AM
Charter Member

I go to GC once in a while if I have a little time to kill in the middle of the day. I went yesterday, and I was the only one in the place. I tried a couple of Yamaha's, because I never had before. I almost bought a used Micro Terror amp form them for $79. I didn't, but ended killing 15 or 20 minutes.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic