The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 05-22-2017, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fumei View Post

Oregon: almost every little village/hamlet/place has a recreational marijuana store.

Washington: My last stop for gas before the border the Chevron has a recreational pot outlet attached on one side, a coffee tattoo place attached on the other side.
I'm from WA state, and driving down through Oregon, which was early to ban tobacco from public places, there are signs in a bunch of motels stating that Pot counts. You will be charged the "cleaning" fee if you smoke it
Old 05-23-2017, 02:12 AM

I find that discrimination based upon race to be somewhat anathema. We still suffer some discrimination against Aboriginal people in Aust, not to mention the usual anti-muslim, anti-"different" attitudes. Our kids were blessed to have grown up in a society where race, colour, or creed, were not particularly noticed. We were watching the news one day (they were still in school back then) and something came up about race riots, and our kids innocently asked "We don't know any Aborigines, do we?" Mum just suggested that next time they were with their best friends to look at them. "Hey, dey iz Bleck!" Now, some tweny years later, they are still the best of friends, despite living on different parts of the continent.
Old 05-23-2017, 03:52 AM

-----------------------

Last edited by amyFB; 05-24-2017 at 10:38 AM. Reason: not nice
Old 05-24-2017, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue View Post
I'm from WA state, and driving down through Oregon, which was early to ban tobacco from public places, there are signs in a bunch of motels stating that Pot counts. You will be charged the "cleaning" fee if you smoke it
I find the outlawing of tobacco and the legalization of pot in certain states to be quite humorous.
As if smoking pot is somehow safer than cigarettes and it doesn't affect your lungs or heart.

"Good stuff but it's a little harsh."

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 05-24-2017, 10:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
I find the outlawing of tobacco and the legalization of pot in certain states to be quite humorous.
As if smoking pot is somehow safer than cigarettes and it doesn't affect your lungs or heart.

I don't think anyone claims "it doesn't doesn't affect your lungs or heart", but there is ample evidence it's far, far safer than cigarette smoke.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...052501729.html

Quote:
“We hypothesized that there would be a positive association between marijuana use and lung cancer, and that the association would be more positive with heavier use. What we found instead was no association at all, and even a suggestion of some protective effect.”
This could change as large companies get their hands on the industry and start doing the same things to marijuana that they did to tobacco–like adding addictive and carcinogenic chemicals to them.

Quote:
A meta-analysis of additional case-control studies, published in the International Journal of Cancer in 2014, similarly reported, “Results from our pooled analyses provide little evidence for an increased risk of lung cancer among habitual or long-term cannabis smokers,” while a 2009 Brown University study determined that those who had a history of marijuana smoking possessed a significantly decreased risk of head and neck cancers as compared to those subjects who did not.
I'm not advocating anything here, and I believe there are legitimate open questions about the safety and wisdom of legalization. I'm simply trying to reduce mis-information and add some strongly supported information to the discussion.

Tobacco is far, far more dangerous to one's health than cannabis. This is abundantly clear but I keep hearing people comparing the two or suggesting in some cases that cannabis is more dangerous. I cannot find any evidence for that. Certainly willing to be convinced otherwise.
Old 05-24-2017, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Hofman View Post
I don't think anyone claims "it doesn't doesn't affect your lungs or heart", but there is ample evidence it's far, far safer than cigarette smoke.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...052501729.html

This could change as large companies get their hands on the industry and start doing the same things to marijuana that they did to tobacco–like adding addictive and carcinogenic chemicals to them.

I'm not advocating anything here, and I believe there are legitimate open questions about the safety and wisdom of legalization. I'm simply trying to reduce mis-information and add some strongly supported information to the discussion.

Tobacco is far, far more dangerous to one's health than cannabis. This is abundantly clear but I keep hearing people comparing the two or suggesting in some cases that cannabis is more dangerous. I cannot find any evidence for that. Certainly willing to be convinced otherwise.
So you totally dismiss the related effects of Cheetos, Nacho Doritos, pizza and Pringles?
Old 05-24-2017, 11:22 AM

Quote:

According to my pulmonologist, who is militant anti-smoking, inhaling commercial tobacco product is hundreds of times more toxic than inhaling organically grown marijuana.
We in Calif. have a record # of Valley Fever cases this year. Maybe we'll outlaw the soil and wind too.
Old 05-24-2017, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHP View Post
So you totally dismiss the related effects of Cheetos, Nacho Doritos, pizza and Pringles?
A man died this week from eating nacho cheese in a gas station. Maybe he deserved this?
Old 05-24-2017, 11:26 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aknow View Post
A man died this week from eating nacho cheese in a gas station. Maybe he deserved this?
nacho cheese, getcher own cheese or you're doomed.

Huss & Dalton CM
McKnight MacNaught
Breedlove Custom 000
Albert & Mueller S
Martin LXE
Voyage-Air VM04
Eastman AR605CE
Old 05-24-2017, 11:27 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHP View Post
Terrible stuff! Good thing everyone in California confines their diet to organic tofu, alfalfa sprouts, and locally grown zucchini. I shudder to think what happens to folks when legalization hits the heartland!
Old 05-24-2017, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Hofman View Post

It's pretty clear that "just" adding sugar makes tobacco more dangerous.
Old 05-24-2017, 02:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

To clarify there are no states that " outlaw" tobacco there are many states that prohibit "smoking tobacco" in some public and or work related places .

And even though in the bulk of more recent research, where smoking pot has been found to be less harmful than tobacco, most states I assume are like Colorado and pot smoking is also not allowed in those same places. And in fact in Colorado you are prohibited from smoking in public places where you can smoke tobacco like parks.

But I am really confused as if this would have the effect of increasing or decreasing interracial marriage

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 05-24-2017, 03:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
But I am really confused as if this would have the effect of increasing or decreasing interracial marriage
Oh boy, you've asked for it now.

Popcorn please!

Huss & Dalton CM
McKnight MacNaught
Breedlove Custom 000
Albert & Mueller S
Martin LXE
Voyage-Air VM04
Eastman AR605CE
Old 05-24-2017, 03:25 PM

When I was a Sophomore in high school (1972) I asked a Black girl in my drama class out on a date. Just to see a movie. You'd of thought I had advocated surrender to the Soviets. She was polite in her refusal. The white majority at my school was less so.

I am glad to see the times change on this. Love is love. There is only one race. Human.

Teach us what ways have light, what gifts have worth.
Edna St. Vincent Millay
Old 05-24-2017, 03:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyFB View Post
Oh boy, you've asked for it now.

Popcorn please!
Popcorn indeed .....I was attempting humor. but no doubt we could get into a bizarre discussion on whether THC makes one more or less racially tolerant

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 05-24-2017 at 06:26 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic