The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 05-16-2017, 06:30 PM

Default Need help on possible sale of rare Dan Bourgeois electric guitar

Hello all...

My girlfriend is still in possession of a 1980's (?) Dan Bourgeois electric guitar.
She has again asked for my help in determining the value for a possible sale.
I have no idea how to proceed.
We did contact Dan Bourgeois who validated the guitar and provided some specs but no value.
He said 10 or less were ever made bearing his name on the headstock.

I had a previous post on this guitar with photos and copies of emails but I can not find it at the moment.

Thanks for any help!
Old 05-16-2017, 08:54 PM

Just search bourgeois on the electric forum. It came up for me as the #2 return.

If the folks at the company can't help you, nobody can. You'll have to play the game through to the end to find the answer.

If I was intent on selling it, I'd put up for a long auction on Ebay starting at $1200.

It's rare. I have a Chandler electric from '92 of which there were less than 30 made. Nobody knows exactly how many. I do know that if you search it, only mine and one other comes up. I wouldn't sell it for anything. Well you know. Nobody would pay what it would take to get it away from me
Old 05-17-2017, 01:15 AM

There is a Bourgeois archtop elec for sale on Reverb for $7400 that may be a reference point.
Old 05-17-2017, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotso View Post
There is a Bourgeois archtop elec for sale on Reverb for $7400 that may be a reference point.
archtop vs strat shaped object. Not a reference point
Old 05-17-2017, 08:55 AM

ah just found pic. Brazilian rosewood fretboard-nice. This is a tough one. Might want to call Gruhn's or Carter vintage of someone like them to do an eval on sale potential. They may be a better source. Bourgeois archtops are highly prized with the jazzy set and your guitar looks to be rarer.
Old 05-17-2017, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Bourgeois archtops are highly prized with the jazzy set and your guitar looks to be rarer.
But it's just a slab of wood... A Handcarved archtop is not even related on the guitar family tree.
Old 05-17-2017, 09:55 AM

from your lips to God's ears. I have no idea of the value....who knows. Suhrs and Andersons can sell for a lot and are slabs. I gladly paid 2x more for a painted Tom Anderson than I would have for a similar Fender.

As far as the OP is concerned we are talking about a rare item with limited production with Brazilian from the early 80s. I would say let the experts speak. You and I making points back and forth means nothing. Might be worth a grand or might be something special. All I know is that jazzy guys like their archtops and pay up the yang for them and Bourgeois is a quality builder.
Old 05-17-2017, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverwolf View Post
Hello all...

My girlfriend is still in possession of a 1980's (?) Dan Bourgeois electric guitar.
She has again asked for my help in determining the value for a possible sale.
I have no idea how to proceed.
We did contact Dan Bourgeois who validated the guitar and provided some specs but no value.
He said 10 or less were ever made bearing his name on the headstock.

I had a previous post on this guitar with photos and copies of emails but I can not find it at the moment.

Thanks for any help!
I take it Dana didn't ask if he could buy it off you?
Old 05-17-2017, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
And Larrivee isn't scooping up their 80's pointy guitars either.

The acoustic market was dead at the time. Cheaper, fast, easily built electrics did sell. They put ebony and braz on them because they had it already, and spending cash was a bad idea.

The great news is the strategy worked for both companies. That's all that matters in the end.
Old 05-17-2017, 01:37 PM

To my eye some ugly Gibson Modernes and Explorers from the 80s period with slabs of pointy wood are commanding some high prices. I am hopeful for the OP.
Old 05-17-2017, 02:05 PM
Charter Member

In the electric guitar world (like anywhere else I suppose) rare doesn't always mean valuable, but you wouldn't know that from asking prices You need to build at least some sort of rep to get the high money - only 10 guitars made could just as easily say, "I give up!" as anything else.
As someone else said, put it on eBay with an initial price over a grand and let it run for a month or so. Lots of pics, lots of measurements, etc. Someone may make you an offer and make your summer

So...how about a few pics?

Quote:
To my eye some ugly Gibson Modernes and Explorers from the 80s period with slabs of pointy wood are commanding some high prices. I am hopeful for the OP.
A good number of ugly 80's guitars are being bought by the same guys who couldn't afford them back then. As an owner of Jacksons, Hamers, and Ibanez Jems I totally understand the whole love of 80's electrics
Old 05-17-2017, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
LOL! No he did not.
Old 05-17-2017, 04:09 PM

Just to reiterate the guitar in question is a straight forward Strat with pretty much a lawsuit headstock. See the original thread

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...ight=bourgeois
Old 05-17-2017, 05:44 PM

Default Appraisals

https://www.elderly.com/appraisal.html/

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars