The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 05-11-2017, 04:43 PM
Charter Member

Default Should I trade Alvarez Parlor for Vox AC4TV and Blues JuniorII

Title says it all. I have an Alvarez parlor MPA 70 that I really don't play. I can trade it for a Vox AC4TV and a Blues Jr II. Straight up trade.

Or, I can buy the Blues Jr for $300. What is the opinion of the collective?

The guitar is virtually new. The amp is in good shape.

I don't have a Fender amp or a Vox amp, but I do have other Alvarez guitars. Electrics are an American Standard, an Epi Wildkat, and Squier Telecaster, if that helps.
Old 05-11-2017, 06:01 PM

I've never owned a Blues Jr. Though some folks like them. In brief trials they didn't sound "Fenderey" enough for my tastes, but I want to stress the "brief" in that as I pass on further opinions there. You can gig with a non-loud drummer with one. If it's in good shape, the $300 seems about right, not a screaming deal or anything.

I have a Vox AC4TV. Nice little amp. A bit boxy sounding with it's built in speaker and small cab, but in a nice way. Does sound "Voxey", though at lower volumes. I find it good to record with or just to play a bit by myself. The one I have is my second, the first got replaced by the retailer after it died around 30 days into ownership. My impression of lower-end Vox stuff is that it's less reliable than similar Fender product.

While I do cranked up or dirt pedals sometimes, I'm mostly a cleanish chord into amp guy these days.

I'd think it'd come down to how much you want an amp or two and how much you'd miss the Alvarez. Neither of these are bad amps, though they aren't to everyone's taste or need.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 05-11-2017, 06:07 PM

That Alvarez is a nice little guitar - I wouldn't be too quick to get rid of it...

As Frank said, $300 isn't a bad price for a used Blues Junior in good shape (emphasis on the word good - both electronically and cosmetically) - I'd do a cash deal on the amp and, if you're really that determined to trade off the Alvarez, apply the proceeds toward a nice full-hollowbody electric...
Old 05-12-2017, 06:20 AM

It's a fair trade, for sure. Do you want or need two amps? Will they both get used? If the answer to these two questions is yes than I would trade. Trading an unused item for ones that will get used is a step in the right direction.

They are both good little amps with different tonal flavors. My wife has an ac4mini - it's very small w/a 6 or 6.5 inch speaker, but with same wattage & features. It's a great harp amp. It's VERY loud - twice as loud as my Champ, even though the Vox is 4 watts and the Champ is rated at 5. At low volumes, it has that beautiful Vox chime. At higher volumes it is harsh and boxy sounding. It is very "gainy" - lots of grind and not much headroom. Good little practice amp though.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 05-12-2017, 03:36 PM

I had a Vox AC4TV and consider it the worst amp I've ever owned. Super boxy, zero clean headroom, and very little of that Vox chime that I'm after. I currently own a Vox AC4HW1, which is a significantly better amp. 12" speaker and a larger cabinet help. It's still a bit boxy compared to the AC15 and 30, but nowhere near as bad as the AC4TV. I don't think I'd take an AC4TV if someone gave me one for free. YMMV.

The Blues Jr. is a staple. It's one of the most popular backline amps for a reason. While not true to any vintage specs, it does provide a great sounding, affordable tube amp that ought to please just about anyone.
2015 Gibson J-45 Vintage
2007 Gibson SJ-200 True Vintage
Old 05-13-2017, 12:28 PM

It's a fair trade.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars