The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-29-2015, 11:39 AM

Default Which would you trust better?

I know there will be several, different answers, based on varying experiences, needs, and budget restraints/surpules, etc. But I'm nearly about to "pull the trigger" on ordering the guitar, soon this week.

But which of these two types of cases would you trust better for "gate-check"? (hint, not baggage-check)
Reason and experience? Risk factor? etc.

Would you trust...

This?:

http://www.altomusic.com/media/catal...40086603-4.jpg

Or this?:

http://cn.bing.com/images/search?q=r...lectedIndex=14

(assuming you've taken in-case extra packing measures in place).
Old 03-29-2015, 11:44 AM

And...almost forgot to mention...

Here's an interesting article I've found on randomly while searching for "RB Continental case safety for hollow-body guitar".

http://reunionblues.com/blog/2009/09...-with-the-rbc/

'Backstage Banter' forum/blog section...perhaps a mere success story? Draw of the luck? Or really is durable? (with a few extreme exceptions, perhaps).
Old 03-29-2015, 11:49 AM

The answer is neither. Both cases you show are designed for hand-carrying your instrument around the street and home storage. Neither are designed to handle the rigors of air travel. A padded gig bag (2nd link) offers ZERO protection for an airplane. The first link, the hardshell case, offers minimally more protection but is still insufficient for gate-checking. Even if you gate-check, they are still putting the guitar in the cargo hold of the plane potentially with other items on top of your case.

You will need a flight-case (think Calton Cases) but now you are talking almost $1,000. http://www.elderly.com/brand/138N_calton.html

If your trip is one stop (there and back) - I would consider shipping your guitar ahead of time (like how guitar manufacturers ship their instruments - cardboard box, packing material - the whole 9) and packed extremely well in a hardshell case.

Last edited by WHguitarNYC; 03-29-2015 at 12:12 PM.
Old 03-29-2015, 12:02 PM

Default Hiscox Lite-Flite

I have a Hiscox Lite-Flite ProII that I use to take my D28 to a friend's house (he's my teacher) - I think it's designed for plane holds though - £100+ "only" - so maybe not?

Emerald X20 Artisan
Taylor Baby
Martin D-28
Taylor 114ce
Simon & Patrick SP6
Old 03-29-2015, 03:11 PM

Default flying

If it is a valuable guitar, I would not trust just any hard case on an airplane. And there are no soft cases I would trust. There are several flight cases out there that will work. Calton is one. My money is on Hiscox as they are lighter, quite trustworthy, and a lot cheaper (well below half the price of Caltons). I think SKB makes a reasonably-priced flight case as well, but have not seen any in person.

An even cheaper alternative (wish I could remember the name ) is a firm who makes corrugated cardboard flight cases, cases designed to work in conjunction with your case. I flew with one I borrowed from friend, & packed clothes in the empty space between the 2 cases. When you arrive, you open it up, velcro on the wheels that come with it, and off you go. My inner case was an el cheapo soft case - no problems even with that.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 03-29-2015, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richly harmonic View Post
...I'm nearly about to "pull the trigger" on ordering the guitar, soon this week... which of these two types of cases would you trust better for "gate-check"?
It would be helpful if you tell us what make & model guitar, approximate value. Obviously, an expensive case is a poor investment to protect an inexpensive guitar.

Also, how long will you be travelling... short trip and few flights, or long trip and many flights?

I assume you are not taking this as a pro working tool (I would assume a pro would know what to get)... if the guitar is just for fun, maybe: Rent a guitar where you are going... buy an inexpensive guitar when you get there... buy an inexpensive travel guitar to take with you.

Lots of options.

Now back living in Baja Sur where I started my carbon fiber journey... Bend OR was too cold!
Old 03-29-2015, 09:32 PM

Sorry about the lack of details.

I want to get a Guild (Newark Street) Starfire III, it's a thin-line hollowbody electric, shaped similar to that of a Gibson E-125 TCD. Street price is $1,099.90

And shipping to my place of residence abroad would be astronomicallly
expensive (i.e. $280-300 for shipping UPS or FedEx, 40 -50% China VAT, excluding customs duties, and "hidden" fees).
Total cost of instrument would end up being more than twice it's purchased value.

Also, have you read the third link I posted, about the article and Brett's experience with traveling his guitar in the RBC? It's probably a draw of the luck, but it makes one wonder though.

Also, I'll be flying United Airlines from Maui back to China, so hopefully I'll be able to "sweet talk" the flight crew and gate attendandts if I check early.

There will be four flights on return trip back (Maui->Oahu->Guam->Hong Kong). First leg of that trip will be on small turboprop, approx. 47 minutes ETA from Maui Kahului to Honolulu. I know because its on my flight itinerary, as tickets were purchased a month ago to avoid expensive airfare in April. I will be travling to Hawaii on April 6, come back to China April 17.

But remaining legs of trip hopefully have higher chances of "stow-away" the instrument on board.

I know United has had a bad reputation in previous years, but recently I've heard from many other posters that they've improved their policies (and honoring of the policies) a lot...well more than than they used.

Again, nothing's guranteed 100%, but it's just a thought.

Last edited by richly harmonic; 03-29-2015 at 09:49 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion