The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-28-2015, 06:45 AM
Charter Member

Location: Stationary home in NJ. Mobile home on any given highway.
Default A surprising comparison of 12 string guitars.

While on search for a backup 12 string, I had compared a Guild (12 string) built in Westerly), an $2000 Taylor 12 string to a $375 Washburn (with pickup).

While the Guild had a lovely tone, it's individual string separation and overall projection wasn't strong enough for my fingerpicking style. This could very well be due to the maple back and sides which is prevalent on the Gibson J-200, causing them to have the nickname of 'quite giants.'

The Taylor was a major disappointment. It was almost as if someone were holding a blanket in front of it. Absolutely no volume or projection and the tone was muddy across the spectrum.

What surprised me was the Washburn. Each course of strings rang out like a bell, standing out on their own and contributing wonderfully to the overall tone. The fit and finish were equally remarkable.

I was so surprised that I had to ask my friend, a luthier who worked at the shop, to do a blind test while I played each instrument, this time including a $300 Yamaha. His results were identical to my own:

1. Washburn
2. Yamaha
3. Guild
4. Taylor

Of course, all the writing in the world may not, nor should it convince you of what we were hearing in that room that day.

Knowing that I sure....

Old 03-28-2015, 08:47 AM

Nice reminder, Toby, that guitars do not have to be expensive to produce a very pleasing sound. Numerous "blind" sound tests of guitars on the Internet nearly always suggest this conclusion as well.

Martin D-15M
Taylor 420 Maple
Alvarez MD80
Alvarez MD80/12
Old 03-28-2015, 08:54 AM
Charter Member

Can't imagine when string condition would be more important that on a 12-er.
Old 03-28-2015, 09:38 AM

The main reason I parted ways with Guild 12 strings was the rather skimpy nut width - only 1 13/16". If it don't feel right it really does matter what it sounds like. Being I am not a fan of Taylors by process of elimination it would leave the Washburn. In the end though, I will stick with my 1940s Regal 12. if I wanted a second 12 string I would most likely opt for a Harmony Sovereign 1270 or maybe even a Stella.
Old 03-28-2015, 09:39 AM
Charter Member

Hi Toby,

I'm pretty much with you on 12 strings. I have played and owned several over the years and came to the conclusion that a cheap 12 string sounds as good as an expensive one. For my playing they are pretty much a one trick pony and one that, I admit, I don't use very often.

I have certainly heard some high end models that sounded very nice. In particular a Taylor LKSM from early on. But generally nothing that would make me want to shell out for a premium model.

I've found that double tracking two guitars, one in standard tuning and one high strung or Nashville tuning, gives me a much better result both recording and live in a multiple guitar setting. As always YMMV.
Old 03-28-2015, 09:42 AM

Many Washburns have decently balanced soundboards.

Many Guilds are overbuilt.

I have never experienced a Taylor 12-string, but a 6 string Taylor that was recently in my shop sounded duller than a Seagull that was in at the same time, the seagull was likely only a third or a quarter of the cost of the Taylor.

When comparing guitars, however, it is an unfair comparison if they are not set up all with the same type of saddle (preferably bone) and the same action setting with the same (fresh) strings. Once these variables are controlled, you can more appropriately make a judgement on each guitar's tone.

Ned Milburn
NSDCC Master Artisan
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Old 03-28-2015, 09:46 AM

Not that surprised it would sound good. I do have to wonder for how long. Always thought inexpensive 12 strings were a little like buying factory second parachutes. I had a Washburn 12 string for a while and it was good until physics took over.
Old 03-28-2015, 09:46 AM

Surprised you didn't try the Martin D12-28 (or did you).
Old 03-28-2015, 09:57 AM

I love my Yamaha 12... When I bought it I did look at more expensive 12's including Taylor as well as less expensive ones and found my comfort spot where I landed. I had to spend a lot more money on a Taylor or Martin to get what wanted or more than I got in comparison.

My site: Personal Blog

Yamaha LL16R-12 L Series A.R.E.
Yamaha FG-75
Fender CF 60 CE
Ibanez AF75TDG
Epiphone Les Paul Std PlusPRO
Eastman MB515 Mando
Yamaha YPT230 Keyboard
Old 03-28-2015, 10:00 AM

Which Taylor? I've seen some small-bodied Taylor 12's that we're not at all to my taste. Not were the rosewood 800-series 12-strings I have tried.

Not that I'm getting defensive, but the sadly-discontinued LKSM-12 is the finest production 12-string I have yet encountered. Mine gets a lot of mileage.
Old 03-28-2015, 10:00 AM

I spent two years collecting 12-strings hoping to learn as much about them as possible and ended up owning close to twenty different 12-string acoustics. Out of all those guitars the ones that grabbed me were a Westerly Guild JF30-12 Jumbo, a Taylor 855, a Rainsong JM3000, a 70's Martin D35-12, and a reissue Gibeon B45-12. Out of those guitars I ended up keeping the B45-12, and when Rainsong announced that they were dropping the 12-strig from the lineup, I ordered a DR3000 which works better for me than the Jumbo did. Guess I like a dreadnought 12-string and now I have one that can go anywhere, even live in my SUV.

Interesting that you bonded with the Washburn, Toby. Although I tried a number of them I have never been able to bond with entry level 12-strings. Might have to give one a try.
Old 03-28-2015, 10:24 AM

I sure hope Rainsong reintroduces 12-strings to their lineup. In the meantime, I just ordered a Godin A12 just to get back into the 12-string game. I'm thinking of having a new nut and saddle made, though - Ric string order and dual compensation a la Taylor.
Old 03-28-2015, 10:43 AM

For my limited abilities and the little amount of time I play it, I'm enamoured with my Breedlove AC250/SM12. Bought it used for around $450 as I recall and it came with a very nice, semi-hard embroidered-logo gig bag. It's laminated hog and solid spruce top, all satin with a funky looking cut-away and headstock. It's been on a wall in an un-humidified room but the neck is true and rarely goes out of tune.
Old 03-28-2015, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby Walker View Post

While the Guild had a lovely tone, it's individual string separation and overall projection wasn't strong enough for my fingerpicking style. This could very well be due to the maple back and sides which is prevalent on the Gibson J-200, causing them to have the nickname of 'quite giants.'

The Taylor was a major disappointment. It was almost as if someone were holding a blanket in front of it. Absolutely no volume or projection and the tone was muddy across the spectrum.
That matches my experience as well. My Taylor sounds pretty muffled, but I bought it to play plugged in so I don't really care. My Guild has plenty of resonance and sustain, if fewer overtones than my Larrivee, so there is not a lot of note separation. Note separation is not what I am normally looking for though. I've only had the Rainsong a week and I haven't decided which strings I like yet. (definitely brighter than the others right now)

The Breedlove imports with Sapele bodies have a lot of clarity to them if that's your thing though, and don't sound repressed like Taylors.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 03-28-2015, 01:55 PM
Charter Member

Location: Stationary home in NJ. Mobile home on any given highway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianmay View Post
Surprised you didn't try the Martin D12-28 (or did you).
Not a fan of the string spacing.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion