The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-22-2015, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZealotsRUs View Post
Ok, I've narrowed it down to these three, largely, perhaps, because a local shop has stock of each

Santa Cruz OM Grand, Santa Cruz OM Pre War, Collings OM2H, and the joker in the pack is a Martin Custom Shop OM Cocobolo / Swiss Spruce

(here http://www.acousticcentre.com.au/col...o-swiss-spruce)

Now, I know you're just going to tell me to go play them all and choose the one I like the most, and I guess that's what I'm going to do, but I would really like to hear folk's take on these options, just so I have some more, I dunno, background or something

thanks!
Don't put much stock in the "background" you'll receive even though I'm going to add a bit. Your experience with the examples you'll actually play (and conceivably purchase one of those examples) will be the real test.

I can only say that the SCGC OM I once owned was a big loud tone machine and it amazed me each time I picked it up. The "light" build allows it to be quite dynamic with loads of projection.

Good luck!
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 03-22-2015, 01:04 PM

I compared 3 of your 4 and it was an easy choice, the Collings.
I had the owner of the shop, (Hill Country Guitars) hand them to me w/ my eyes closed. Simple choice for me. Good luck.
Old 03-22-2015, 09:44 PM

I have owned and played them all. The collings OM2H is the finest of the bunch--for me. The right voice and feel for my music. It's all subjective. Remember also these are handmade individual pieces. No two from SCGC or Collings same model etc will sound the same.
Collings O2HSB
Old 03-22-2015, 11:11 PM
Charter Member

Thumbs up forget all the ones you mentioned and get this

or you might like

Last edited by darylcrisp; 03-22-2015 at 11:27 PM.
Old 03-23-2015, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darylcrisp View Post

or you might like

Oh my, that Martin is sweet!

Anyway, friday is the day of reckoning, I shall let you all know.

I have unexpected spousal approval on the basis I bought her a car, so....
Old 03-23-2015, 08:38 AM

Just to add to my original post (#5). When I asked the same question as you about Santa Cruz and Collings OM's it was to get impressions on those guitars as I am abundantly familiar with Martins, and had just prior purchased an OM-28V. I wanted to add a different nice guitar to the mix and really wanted a Santa Cruz or Collings from the opinions I had heard.

When playing them side-by-side, one after the other, over several days - I found very little difference between the Martins and Collings. The only Santa Cruz that stood out from the others was the OM Grand. It was great but didn't sound like a true OM. That's great but I already have a dread that can't be beat and I was specifically looking for an OM. The 000-28EC that I bought was great and different than my other Martin OM's. The best part about shopping for a new guitar - and going in without a pre-conceived "gotta have" mindset - is actually playing as many guitars as possible. The worst part for me (because it makes my palms sweat) is writing the check to take it home. I'm sure your shopping will be as enjoyable as well.
Old 03-23-2015, 09:00 AM

All great guitars and each will have its avid supporters, very win-win situation.

I will however add my Martin thoughts. I have #1 of the OM-28 Adi/Madi custom shops, price today would be similar to the Cocobolo CS, and it's a wonderful guitar. I also have a 2005 OM-45TB, Martin's configurator has it at $21K todays prices. Throw in an OM-18V, OM-28V, 000-18GE, etc., ...I've owned a LOT of Martin OM/000's.

None of them can touch the Authentics, certainly my opinion, but I am a lifetime player who has owned a boatload of high end Martins, and Collings and Bourgeois through the years.

Point being, you have a great list of fine guitars, but I would offer a Martin OM-18A should be in that mix, no custom shop is allowed to have Authentic specs, and that uber light build is a game changer.

I have never played any Martin model ever, that if there is an Authentic version of that model it wasn't noticeably more responsive.

Hey you may well prefer one of the other brands, but I offer if Martin is in consideration, an Authentic should be the representative.....

Happy shopping!!

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)
Old 03-23-2015, 09:03 AM
Charter Member

You are going to try some great guitars and you will likely end up pleased, no matter what you choose.

However, if I had to choose an OM...it would be a Collings OM2HG. Lots to be gained with a German top and yes, I am a Collings fan :-)
Old 03-23-2015, 12:07 PM

Just picked up a Martin Custom Shop OM and it is freaking amazing! Plays like it was made for my hands and sounds like angels when they sing the blues.

and way too many picks...
Old 03-23-2015, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmyAddison View Post
All great guitars and each will have its avid supporters, very win-win situation.

I will however add my Martin thoughts. I have #1 of the OM-28 Adi/Madi custom shops, price today would be similar to the Cocobolo CS, and it's a wonderful guitar. I also have a 2005 OM-45TB, Martin's configurator has it at $21K todays prices. Throw in an OM-18V, OM-28V, 000-18GE, etc., ...I've owned a LOT of Martin OM/000's.

None of them can touch the Authentics, certainly my opinion, but I am a lifetime player who has owned a boatload of high end Martins, and Collings and Bourgeois through the years.

Point being, you have a great list of fine guitars, but I would offer a Martin OM-18A should be in that mix, no custom shop is allowed to have Authentic specs, and that uber light build is a game changer.

I have never played any Martin model ever, that if there is an Authentic version of that model it wasn't noticeably more responsive.

Hey you may well prefer one of the other brands, but I offer if Martin is in consideration, an Authentic should be the representative.....

Happy shopping!!

The shop does have an OM authentic, I guess I should add that to the mix.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-24-2015, 05:49 PM
Charter Member

Thumbs up

definitely keep us posted, this is a neat thread and i think a bunch of us are interested in what you end up with.

be sure to post some pictures!!

d
Old 03-26-2015, 08:27 PM

Today!!!

Old 03-28-2015, 02:50 PM
Charter Member

--------------and???
Old 03-28-2015, 05:12 PM

I think their all wonderful instruments ( you have good taste )
If it was me -i already own a OM28v Martin , so id be looking at the prewar Santa cruz or the Collings -depends on how it touches my heart .
Old 03-28-2015, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haasome View Post
--------------and???

And the winner (drum roll)

The Santa Cruz OM Grand!!

I loved the Collings, and it came down to those two.

(The OM18 Authentic 1933 Amber Burst was sold the previous day, probably just as well given the cost!)

Not that there was anything wrong with either of the others.
The Custom Shop Martin was very bright but to my ears a little thin and tight sounding. Of course, if you play the thing every day for ten years it might sound amazing. But I can only speak about the here and now. Lovely looking thing though.

The SC OM pre war was lovely too but wasn't quite as versatile as its larger bodied brother, fantastic for finger style but not quite as good with a pick in hand.

( bear in mind, it's a brilliant guitar by any measure but the competition in this case was pretty brutal!)

The Collings. Oh yes, the Collings. I may yet get myself one of these at a later date. Beautiful tone, brilliant workmanship, fantastic guitar and the best pure OM I have ever played.

Except

The SC OM Grand is just something else. Everything you could possibly want in an OM with just a little extra everything. It doesn't sound like a dread, it sounds like the warmest, richest most gorgeous OM you ever heard

So I bought that one.

(I also had a play with a little Collings O2H-12 the shop has, but that's another story for another day)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion