The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-21-2015, 09:07 PM

Default OM, Collings vs Martin vs Santa Cruz (x2)

Ok, I've narrowed it down to these three, largely, perhaps, because a local shop has stock of each

Santa Cruz OM Grand, Santa Cruz OM Pre War, Collings OM2H, and the joker in the pack is a Martin Custom Shop OM Cocobolo / Swiss Spruce

(here http://www.acousticcentre.com.au/col...o-swiss-spruce)

Now, I know you're just going to tell me to go play them all and choose the one I like the most, and I guess that's what I'm going to do, but I would really like to hear folk's take on these options, just so I have some more, I dunno, background or something

thanks!
Old 03-21-2015, 09:18 PM
Charter Member

I look forward to your results, especially the comparison of the two Santa Cruz OMs. I want to try the Grand ... would be interested to hear from folks who have played this .. what's the scoop with the Grand? Does it get closer to like a small jumbo, or something entirely different? I almost bought a standard OM last year, but resisted since I was waiting for a custom OM to be finished. It was a beaut! Lots of Colings around here which are usually fine guitars, but this SCGC OM, whihc was a standard cutaway blew them all away (quite a few at local Collings favored dealer). So now I'm intrigued with the OM Grand, and have too much dread.

martin D-28A '37 | D-18 | SCGC H13 | gibson SJ-200
taylor 814ce | 855 | GS Mini H.V. | goodall RP14 | Halcyon SJ

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Old 03-21-2015, 09:26 PM

This is how you choose. They have a rental option, so rent each one for a week, send them all to me, I will take the week off and devote it entirely to playing these guitars. I will give you my ranking in order, along with an extensive review of each, at the end of the week and you can decide based on that.

Eh?
Old 03-21-2015, 09:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZealotsRUs View Post
Ok, I've narrowed it down to these three, largely, perhaps, because a local shop has stock of each

Santa Cruz OM Grand, Santa Cruz OM Pre War, Collings OM2H, and the joker in the pack is a Martin Custom Shop OM Cocobolo / Swiss Spruce

Now, I know you're just going to tell me to go play them all and choose the one I like the most, and I guess that's what I'm going to do, but I would really like to hear folk's take on these options, just so I have some more, I dunno, background or something

thanks!
Sounds like you have a fun day ahead of you trying these out!

Have not played the Grand, but have played a bunch of the OM/PW and OM2Hs. Both are great guitars. If you like the warmer, bass oriented Martin tone, then you will like the OM/PW a lot. If you prefer huge volume and shimmering clarity, then you will really like the Collings OM2H. The Collings will be less forgiving to play than the SC and will punish you mercilessly for sloppy technique.

I own 3 Collings and am a huge fan. Just love them.

All the best in your search!

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4100 shipped
Old 03-21-2015, 09:31 PM

I just went through the same process. Ended up after trying several of the same guitars - with another Martin. There was no magic with the decision. The 000-28EC I bought played and sounded equal or better than (to me) any of the others that were sampled. Simple process of finding one that works for you.
Old 03-21-2015, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gruuv View Post
This is how you choose. They have a rental option, so rent each one for a week, send them all to me, I will take the week off and devote it entirely to playing these guitars. I will give you my ranking in order, along with an extensive review of each, at the end of the week and you can decide based on that.

Eh?
what could possibly go wrong with this brilliant plan?
Old 03-21-2015, 09:43 PM

If I had to choose one without playing the Santa Cruz OM/PW and the Collings OM would be a toss up, if it's a good Martin it would be in the toss up as well but it's potentially not a good one (though, that one sounds like an interesting wood combination). The OM Grand is another animal, I played one that made my knees a little wobbly. Have fun!!
Old 03-21-2015, 10:46 PM

Quote:

Sorry, but it does come down to what you like. Big difference in Santa Cruz and Collings. Watch out for that joker. It might split the difference.

Personally, I'd probably fall for the OM Grand -- and that's without having played one.
Old 03-22-2015, 05:13 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

thanks!
Now this will probably not help, but I was in the exact same place a few months ago, looking at the same models you are looking at -- even the same Martin. However the Music Emporium near Boston (great dealer BTW) sold the Martin before I got there to test it, so I don't have hands on experience for that Martin. I decided to go with a second Collings OM because it had the edge on build quality and I liked the tone just a little better. HOWEVER -- while I was playing these I also tried a Bourgeois for the first time in my life and couldn't get that experience out of my mind. I gave in to desire a month ago and bought a Bourgeois OM. I think this guitar is unreal. I'm lucky to have this one in the mix. Do yourself a favor -- if your dealer has a Bourgeois OM, give that one a spin and see what you think as you struggle with your decision. The good news is you can't make a wrong decision. Have fun.
Old 03-22-2015, 06:17 AM

Aaaarrrrggghhhhh!!
Old 03-22-2015, 06:46 AM
Charter Member

Whatever you choose, you're gonna end up with a great OM. I haven't played the Grand, but I think Brencat nailed the difference between the OM/PW and the OM2H. I'd probably choose the Collings, but the OM/PW is every bit as fine a guitar.

My favorite Collings OM is an OM1, but the OM2H is a superb guitar although I wouldn't buy the deep-bodied version. I like what Collings does with Cocobolo, but I haven't played a Martin Coco OM. Happy shopping!
Old 03-22-2015, 06:52 AM

The SCGC OM Grand is an intriguing guitar, and I'd love to try one or two, but I've never played one.

In truth, I've not played many examples of these three choices in recent years, although I've played a Martin OM (although not the one you have in mind) and a couple of Martin OOOs in the past month or so, and I happen to play a Santa Cruz OM regularly. Twenty years ago, I got into a somewhat obsessive search that took me to all the local shops and then some -- a work trip to NY got extended to include a visit to Mandolin Brothers, etc.; a trip to Nashville included a trip to Gruhn Guitars, etc. I tried Collings, Martin (many Martins -- ended up focusing on Martin OMs and played a good number of examples), SCGC, and many others. I chose an SCGC OM -- still my main guitar. Collings were very nice, but somehow the ones I played didn't quite grab me. I liked the Martins quite a bit but liked the Santa Cruz better.

That was quite some time ago -- not sure it's helpful, even after we note the obvious fact that I'm not you. When you sit down and play what's available you'll see what you like. I'd suggest giving each a good chance; and you might want to have them played at you as well (I favor what I hear when I'm playing, but I also like to know what it's like out in front of the guitar).

Last edited by djg; 03-22-2015 at 07:00 AM.
Old 03-22-2015, 07:25 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
…Now, I know you're just going to tell me to go play them all and choose the one I like the most, and I guess that's what I'm going to do, but I would really like to hear folk's take on these options, just so I have some more, I dunno, background or something
Hi ZRU…

Of the three, the best one I've played in OM is a Collings, which was over 20 years old…and it was stellar. Hardly a fair comparison to the SantaCruz OMs I've played which are very well built and wonderful.

But that Collings after 20 years of constant play was very responsive, resonant and played like butter (very easy action with .012 on it, yet with great projection and wide dynamics). I think of that one as 'supple'. It was a very musical instrument. I found myself playing music on it, not notes.

The Santa Cruz that size I've played are all fairly new, and felt a bit more tight. To be fair one of my students bought a Collings OM that was only a year old and it too felt tight compared to the 20 year old one.

For me it always comes down to which one sounds best NOW because I'm going to play it NOW.

Mark Hanson & Pete Huttlinger sure like their Collings OMs…and when I've seen them live, the guitars they played were the Plain Jane models.

I've never played a Martin OM which even comes close to the other two companies for my style, hands and ears.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 03-22-2015, 11:34 AM
Charter Member

If you're limiting yourself to what that shop has in stock at that moment, then any discussion about options is pretty pointless. They are all very well made, high quality options, and what someone else has or plays really doesn't make any difference, because there are amazing guitarists who gig with all of them. Choose the one that sounds and feels best to you - and take someone along so you can hear them played yourself.

But the age of the guitar, and the amount its been played does make a very big difference - While a brand new guitar is a wonderful thing, a well used guitar can be so much better. If the new ones don't do it for you, and theres no other places to shop, then consider just keeping your eyes open and spread the word for a while -
Old 03-22-2015, 11:58 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
... Santa Cruz OM Grand, Santa Cruz OM Pre War, Collings OM2H, and the joker in the pack is a Martin Custom Shop OM Cocobolo / Swiss Spruce. ...
Well, those are all very nice guitars! I have never played the SCGC OM Grand, but I would really like to, because I think I would really like it. I do own a SCGC OM/PW, which is one of my favorites. I also own a Collings OM1ADB (adi top over mahogany, dread-depth body), and I really like this guitar, too -- as much as I like my OM/PW.

I have played some Collings OM2H guitars, but for me, they never compared well to my SCGC OM/PW. Not enough bass. I have no clue what that Martin CS OM would sound like, but for smaller guitars like an OM, I find that I prefer East Indian Rosewood to Brazilian because I like the added bass of EIR. Cocobolo, to me, has less bass than EIR or BRW, so I am guessing that Cocobolo would not do it for me, as it never has in any other guitar shape.

But of course, I am talking only about what I have experienced and what I like. I like the sound of a really good dreadnought or small jumbo, and I want my OMs to sound as close to that sound as possible, but with a little extra treble sparkle. This is why I think I would like the SCGC OM Grand. Most people who want OM guitars are trying to get away from bass.

So your admission that you need to play all these guitars to see how they work for you is obviously fundamentally important. Hopefully, they will all have new strings so you can compare apples to apples.

- Glenn

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion